Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I just bought Street Fighter for PS4. Should I receive a code?

If you got it from Amazon.co.uk it is a lottery for the beta code, if you used Amazon.com they will e-mail you one straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

Xenji wrote: »
    If you got it from Amazon.co.uk it is a lottery for the beta code, if you used Amazon.com they will e-mail you one straight away.

For the EU beta you had to apply through the beta website . Buying from Amazon Uk gets/got you nothing at this point.

blag wrote: »
    For the EU beta you had to apply through the beta website . Buying from Amazon Uk gets/got you nothing at this point.

Ah should've checked that, I pre ordered it back in February, around the first mention of a beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Rise of the Tombraider coming to PS4 holiday 2016.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Rise of the Tombraider coming to PS4 holiday 2016.

So a GOTY edition for half the price of a usual release you would assume, well maybe in a perfect world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd pay good money not to play a rubbish game for 30 hours! So that's a bit of a non-argument. Seriously though, what are you willing to pay for that 1 hour? Would you pay €55 (the average price of a new title)? I don't think you would. You might do it occasionally when something truly unique comes along, like Journey. But would you consistently hand out that kinda money for 1 or 2 hours of gameplay? Most people wouldn't. I wouldn't. I wouldn't pay it to get into a cinema, I wouldn't pay it for an individual Bluray and I wouldn't pay it for a game. It's just too much, and I suspect the publisher/distributor of Journey felt the same, because it was less than €30 when it was released on disc, despite already being a critical and commercial success.

If the game is as good as Journey then yes I would. I've paid similar (and more expensive) prices for concerts, go karting, paintball whatever that all lasted similar times to Journey and time hasn't been the main issue with any of them. Except of course I get to keep Journey.

On top of that to flip the argument, I've put in a huge amount of time into the likes of Battlefield, The Witcher, TLOU but I wouldn't pay €100-200 or whatever arbitrary cost we give it just because it's lasted me hundreds of hours.

If one thinks a game is not worth the cost that's fine, but the length shouldn't determine how much that game costs.
    It's currently on Amazon for around €22. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it upon release, but I think it was about €30, bearing in mind that the Euro would have been stronger then.

That comes with flower and flow too right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Journey is cheaper than a trip to the cinema, offers so much more too. Are people actually complaining about its price?

tok9 wrote: »

It comes with Flower and Flow and you also get all three game soundtracks, 24 avatars, a documentary and game commentaries, plus a few mini games, great bundle and it only cost about €12 with VGP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

If we're talking about price then we should probably be more interested in actual content, not simply length.

Something like The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is only worth a few quid, despite being endlessly replayable (due to procedural generation). I think it's a better game than The Witcher, based on my own preferences, but there's no way I would have paid €65 for Isaac, as I did with The Witcher. One look at The Witcher and you can see the enormous amount of work that went into it. You know that comes at a price. On the other, Isaac looks like it was made by a guy in his bedroom. In fact, I think it was. And more power to him. But I'm not gonna give him €65.

Replaybility in that scenario is also a factor. Journey has neither much replayability nor length in its favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

PSN down for anyone else ? Can't even get into the website to change my password I signed out and I can't get back in But the link they sent me on the email just times out same when I try and go into my account any idea what could have went wrong ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about length - and I'm a big, big proponent of 'short games', and always will be - for me 'replayability' is a borderline nonsense concept. Sure, it's nice to revisit Bayonetta again and experiment with its in-depth combat system or tackle the increased challenge of NG+ in a Souls game, but in the vast majority of cases if a game doesn't reveal pretty much everything of what it has to offer first time around then it has failed. IMO it's ludicrous to suggest you should be able to press 'new game' immediately after every game and be greeted with a significantly new experience - I simply cannot see how that would work in something like Journey without undermining the core experience of the game. Hell, who has the time for that anyway :pac:? It's a doubly redundant idea when it comes to narrative based games, no more so than a film or a book should be docked marks for 'rewatchability' or 'rereadability'.

Yes, some games benefit from post-game content, but to suggest all games need some degree of 'replayability' is IMO a totally unreasonable ask, and discourages developers from making focused, concise games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

If the game is as good as Journey then yes I would. I've paid similar (and more expensive) prices for concerts, go karting, paintball whatever that all lasted similar times to Journey and time hasn't been the main issue with any of them. Except of course I get to keep Journey.

When I spoke about the price of Blurays and cinema tickets I did so because they're a form of media that we buy and 'consume'. It's a rather straightforward analogy. The stuff you've mentioned is of a different category altogether. I might consider a certain game to be overpriced, but that doesn't translate into thinking a concert is overpriced, just because they're both three hours long. Nonetheless, I can see what you're getting at and I accept your point.
    Of one thinks a game is not worth the cost that's fine, but the length shouldn't determine how much that game costs.

This is just a straight-up difference of opinion and we're not going to come to an agreement. But I'll make my point once more so you know exactly where I'm coming from.

Example: My favourite TV show is The Sopranos. My favourite film is Unforgiven. I'd pay €60 for a box-set of the former, but I would never pay that for a copy of the latter. As much as I adore that film, and despite all it means to me personally, I would not pay €60 to have it in my collection.

Now, you need to separate that from the value I think these things have. Unforgiven is priceless to me. So is Journey. They're of fundamental importance to me. So they're 'worth' all the money I could ever spend on them, if I had it to spend. To me, Unforgiven is equal to, and 'worth' the same as, every episode of The Sopranos put together, but I still wouldn't spend €60 on it, based on the money I have at my disposal.

Yep, that's the one.

Journey is cheaper than a trip to the cinema, offers so much more too. Are people actually complaining about its price?

No, nobody has complained about its price.

I have a game downloading and it's moving at a snail's pace. Anyone else having trouble tonight?

I have a game downloading and it's moving at a snail's pace. Anyone else having trouble tonight?

Pause the download, then go into Settings>Network>Test Internet Connection, then unpause the download, usually helps.

Whatever about length - and I'm a big, big proponent of 'short games', and always will be - for me 'replayability' is a borderline nonsense concept. Sure, it's nice to revisit Bayonetta again and experiment with its in-depth combat system or tackle the increased challenge of NG+ in a Souls game, but in the vast majority of cases if a game doesn't reveal pretty much everything of what it has to offer first time around then it has failed. IMO it's ludicrous to suggest you should be able to press 'new game' immediately after every game and be greeted with a significantly new experience - I simply cannot see how that would work in something like Journey without undermining the core experience of the game. Hell, who has the time for that anyway :pac:? It's a doubly redundant idea when it comes to narrative based games, no more so than a film or a book should be docked marks for 'rewatchability' or 'rereadability'.

People replay games because they want more of the same, or in the case of NG+, because they want a bit more of a sting in their tail. I don't think anyone replays a game expecting a "significantly new experience."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Problem with comparing great short game to bad longer games is that there's also great long games out there.

Xenji wrote: »
    Pause the download, then go into Settings>Network>Test Internet Connection, then unpause the download, usually helps.

That actually slowed it down by another 20 hours. :P

The connection/speed test was fine, so the problem seems to be on their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That actually slowed it down by another 20 hours. :P

The connection/speed test was fine, so the problem seems to be on their end.

Keep trying it. It'll eventually go down.

Keep trying it. It'll eventually go down.

Cheers. I actually just deleted it and started again. It should be done within the hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How has it taken people to back up a near full ps4 hard drive before they have swapped in a new hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    How has it taken people to back up a near full ps4 hard drive before they have swapped in a new hard drive

I changed my hard drive yesterday. It took about four hours to back up 380 GB of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

anybody use shopto.net for preordering? are they fast for delivery? preordered MGS V there to get the steelbook with day1 edition

cadete wrote: »
    anybody use shopto.net for preordering? are they fast for delivery? preordered MGS V there to get the steelbook with day1 edition

I hear they're fairly ghastly for that. What does the steelbook look like?

cadete wrote: »

They used to be good, have not used them in 2 years though, but everything came within 3 days of release and they used DPD for their deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Wright wrote: »
    I hear they're fairly ghastly for that. What does the steelbook look like?

Ah typical just my luck :mad:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfDQA4MsAx6hPA1iq0XIoyL8-FMa0Imd5cDotIKW0OCRCFdeY-

What an oddly pandering way to refer to ol' Yoji lol.

PS4 and a Playbook 4 all in one case.

R2Playbook.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone got any advice for which character to choose starting borderlands 2 on ps4. I played as the turret guy in borderlands 1 so kinda want something a little different but dont know who to choose. Do any of them have a massive advantage over the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice for which character to choose starting borderlands 2 on ps4. I played as the turret guy in borderlands 1 so kinda want something a little different but dont know who to choose. Do any of them have a massive advantage over the others?

I used Gunzerker ony first play through and a Siren on my Second. Really liked both to be honest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement