Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

iamtony wrote: »
    It can also be used to earwig on whoever is in the room where the camera and ps4 is and your connecting to it via remote play on the vita;-)

Wow, thats pretty awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

So, my launch day PS4 is slowly dying.
    Was playing AW last night and it "paused", only way to turn off was to unplug.
    I've initialised, rebuilt database etc.
    While re-downloading my games, same thing - "paused" and had to unplug.

Found my receipt.
    Is it as easy as going into GameStop and asking for one of the 3 R's?
    Anything else I need to do?
    Options if they refuse?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

F1ngers wrote: »
    So, my launch day PS4 is slowly dying.
    Was playing AW last night and it "paused", only way to turn off was to unplug.
    I've initialised, rebuilt database etc.
    While re-downloading my games, same thing - "paused" and had to unplug.

Found my receipt.
    Is it as easy as going into GameStop and asking for one of the 3 R's?
    Anything else I need to do?
    Options if they refuse?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Pretty sure your consumer rights makes the warranty 2-3 years on electrics.. Best would be contacting Sony and stating your rights.. Don't know much about it but remember people saying this before .. Consumer Issues forum would get you the best help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Pretty sure your consumer rights makes the warranty 2-3 years on electrics.. Best would be contacting Sony and stating your rights.. Don't know much about it but remember people saying this before .. Consumer Issues forum would get you the best help...

There's 6 years to claim but there's no set life for anything.

Warranty from Sony is 1-2 years but the shop have to stand over it longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Holy sh1t! I finally played Journey. That's one incredible game... almost tasted a tear :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No. Contract is with the retailer, nothing to do with Sony, unless the PS4 has a 2 year guarantee. Speak to the seller first, asking to have the unit repaired or replaced. If they refuse, You advise the retailer, in writing, that you want it repaired, replaced or refunded, as are your rights under the Sale of Goods, and supply of services Act, 1980. Look this up yourself and become familiar with it. Be prepared to go to the Small Claim Court which will cost you €25, you represent yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Anybody using a PS4 with a widescreen monitor? Want to get one for my PC but my PS4 will be hooked up to it too. Wondering how it'll handle the width.

superg wrote: »
    Anybody using a PS4 with a widescreen monitor? Want to get one for my PC but my PS4 will be hooked up to it too. Wondering how it'll handle the width.

Going to guess you mean ultra wide (21:9). if it's anything of a good display it'll do the below and give a choice.

It'll either up-scale the image keeping the 16:9 ratio so you'll have black bars on the side, up-scale to 21:9 which won't have any black bars but the image will be stretched.

Or it'll give the option to not up-scale it and show the 1080P 16:9 at 1:1 so you'll have black bars on the sides and top/bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭.G.

Varik wrote: »
    Going to guess you mean ultra wide (21:9). if it's anything of a good display it'll do the below and give a choice.

It'll either up-scale the image keeping the 16:9 ratio so you'll have black bars on the side, up-scale to 21:9 which won't have any black bars but the image will be stretched.

Or it'll give the option to not up-scale it and show the 1080P 16:9 at 1:1 so you'll have black bars on the sides and top/bottom.

Yeah thats what I meant cheers. Don't mind black bars, prefer that to it being stretched and possibly distorted. Be interested to hear from anyone who has one though to hear exactly how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Thanks for advice re: the camera, I will hold off on it.

Another question regarding upgrading the storage - is there much noticeable benefit using an SSD? Is there a big difference in performance? Trying to decide between upgrading to a 1TB SSD or a 2TB HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Another question regarding upgrading the storage - is there much noticeable benefit using an SSD? Is there a big difference in performance? Trying to decide between upgrading to a 1TB SSD or a 2TB HDD.

Really depends what's more important to you - storage or speed?

The SSDs are great for cutting loading times in half, but 1TB fills up in no time if you're buying habits are anything like mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

There is not much difference in loading times by using an SSD. There is a bit but it's not worth the price difference.

The stock HDD in the PS4 is a 5400rpm drive and just going to a standard 7200rpm HDD will see a small improvement.

I'd go for a 2TB HDD, I went for a hybrid 1TB SDHDD a year ago and looking back I wish I went to a standard 2TB HDD for the same price.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Really depends what's more important to you - storage or speed?

The SSDs are great for cutting loading times in half,.

SSDs are not that effective in the PS4 and it depends on how the game was compiled in the first place, some take advantage of it better than others and in some games it makes next to no difference.

The console does boot up a few seconds faster from a cold start though.

Thanks guys.

I see the Samsung M9T being recommended as the go to HDD -
    This one is £79
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-9-5mm-Internal-Drive-Compatible/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438428032&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+mt9+2tb

I've been seeing reports that the the Seagate Backup Plus uses the same drive? It is nearly £10 cheaper. Has anyone bought this one and can confirm if it is correct and easy to swap the HDDs around? Would be handy to get another external drive for cheaper than the naked one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00G7LQA1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438427769&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+2TB+backup+plus

Thanks guys.

I see the Samsung M9T being recommended as the go to HDD -
    This one is £79
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-9-5mm-Internal-Drive-Compatible/dp/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438428032&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+mt9+2tb

I've been seeing reports that the the Seagate Backup Plus uses the same drive? It is nearly £10 cheaper. Has anyone bought this one and can confirm if it is correct and easy to swap the HDDs around? Would be handy to get another external drive for cheaper than the naked one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B00G7LQA1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438427769&sr=8-1&keywords=Seagate+2TB+backup+plus

This is the one I have in mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00ILALU9G&linkCode=as2&tag=gamenetw-21&linkId=IERDI7I75SK5GEAN (some disassembly required)

It's a 2TB HDD and even with this there is a slight speed increase. I wasn't aware that the SSDs don't take full advantage of the high RPM in a PS4 like Captain Chaos said, so a high storage HDD is probably the best option.

This is the one I have in mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B00ILALU9G&linkCode=as2&tag=gamenetw-21&linkId=IERDI7I75SK5GEAN (some disassembly required)

It's a 2TB HDD and even with this there is a slight speed increase. I wasn't aware that the SSDs don't take full advantage of the high RPM in a PS4 like Captain Chaos said, so a high storage HDD is probably the best option.

That's great, thanks. Were you able to put the PS4 hard drive back into the Seagate enclosure?

That's great, thanks. Were you able to put the PS4 hard drive back into the Seagate enclosure?

If I was a bit more careful taking it out, I would've been able to fit it back into the Seagate enclosure, but some of the foil was torn so it couldn't be done. If you plan on doing that, just be very careful when you're opening it up as it's easy to damage a part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

From 5:20 in the video he opens the drive.
    Although there are plenty of videos showing people opening it a bit more carefully than him.
    It might be handy to get something like this for prying it open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Have had almost zero luck getting into multiplayer in F1 2015. Utterly stupid 'hopper' system does not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chunkydave

Does anyone know if there's a way to download from the PlayStation store directly to an external hd connected to a PS4? HD is FAT formatted and us recognised by PS4.

• Advertisement

chunkydave wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a way to download from the PlayStation store directly to an external hd connected to a PS4? HD is FAT formatted and us recognised by PS4.

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If I was a bit more careful taking it out, I would've been able to fit it back into the Seagate enclosure, but some of the foil was torn so it couldn't be done. If you plan on doing that, just be very careful when you're opening it up as it's easy to damage a part of it.

its tricky as hell but doable. trick is to walk away every so often and take your time. hardest part is easing the sides of the enclosure apart, after that just be careful with the foil and ease the pcb off with a screwdriver, dont try to just pull it off by hand. Once back together you jut need to use your pcs partition manager software to merge and then format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Amazon have a £10 off promotion for today only for deals over £50 which brings this down in price to £56 if delivering to an Irish Address which equals €80.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I must have this

20257815281_b8e1cab9d2_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

cloud493 wrote: »
    I must have this

20257815281_b8e1cab9d2_z.jpg

Its only worth getting if you never played them before. Played them on ps3 so no point buying again

Of course they're worth playing again. I have the platinum of all 4 uncharted games on PS3 and vita, but I'll jump at the chance to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Out next week and it has had very little hype.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'm guessing they will be direct ports so meh.

Tinie wrote: »
    I'm guessing they will be direct ports so meh.

The uncharted collection? They're being remastered not ported.

• Advertisement

The 3 games will be brought up to 1080p native running at a locked 60fps. Just like The Last of Us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement