Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

Pretty much the embodiment of first world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Lemlin wrote: »
    Just a quick query and maybe I'm missing something. Why the need to upgrade your PS4 for space? Would you not just delete games as you finish them?

Your game saves are still saved separately I thought.

Yeah you could for sure but the games are quite large. The Witcher 3 for example was a 35 GB install and I think the most recent patch was 10 GB (open to correction there). Over 10 % of the usable space taken up by one game! I'd imagine that as the console gets into its stride the games will get even larger so its best to future proof now. My opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 chunkydave

Just a quick query and maybe I'm missing something. Why the need to upgrade your PS4 for space? Would you not just delete games as you finish them?

I never traded in physical copies of games and since I started downloading games, even if I complete them I tend not to delete them. Its nice to go back and play older games and the inconvenience of having to re-download is a pain. That said, I think you can back up games to an external HD though so that might negate having to do the whole downloading process again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Can you not just plug an external drive into one of the USB ports ?

emmetkenny wrote: »

You can, but you can't play games from the external HD. Also, you can download games from PlayStation store directly to the external HD. I only found that out this week as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Nay.

You can, but you can't play games from the external HD. Also, you can't download games from PlayStation store directly to the external HD. I only found that out this week as well.

Sorry for the double post, it wouldn't let me edit the first reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

chunkydave wrote: »
    You can, but you can't play games from the external HD. Also, you can't download games from PlayStation store directly to the external HD. I only found that out this week as well.

That seems a little strange. Will Sony ever bring the ability to play directly from an exernal drive to the PS4 ?

That seems a little strange. Will Sony ever bring the ability to play directly from an exernal drive to the PS4 ?

I doubt it. I'd imagine there would be issues regarding authentication of game licence with a specific account/PS4.

Would be really handy though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

If MS got around then Sony can. MS were the ones that wanted the X1 locked down completely at the start. Even the 360 let you do this towards it's end of life while PS3 stayed locked down in this regard like the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I do the same. 500gb is enough in my opinion. I play loads of games. When in done I delete the install and sell the game. No problems since launch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Because we can I suppose, nice to have the option, nice to be able to scroll down and launch a title. I had a 1TB 7200RPM drive installed in my PS3; had everything PS+ had given me and stuff I had purchased myself installed :)

I was living abroad though so I was 100% digital. It's very handy for that.

Swapping out the drives is very little effort. No need for external HDD's, which could get unplugged accidentally, which is why SONY don't allow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Apart from the 1 TB hard drive, were there any other minor hardware changes to the new console? Thought I seen something about power supply but could be wrong.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Apart from the 1 TB hard drive, were there any other minor hardware changes to the new console? Thought I seen something about power supply but could be wrong.

It draws less power and runs a bit cooler and is about 300g lighter. That's about it. The gloss finish is gone on the HDD cover and they changed the power and eject buttons slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

It draws less power and runs a bit cooler and is about 300g lighter. That's about it. The gloss finish is gone on the HDD cover and they changed the power and eject buttons slightly.

Is there anyway to check before you buy whether you're getting a new or old 500 GB version?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

I'm pretty sure the changes you are describing only apply to the Japanese version of the 1tb console.

As far as i know the European Console only differs in HDD size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

You're in for a treat so, especially the second game. The first game is a bit weak but it sets up the character and story of Drake and Sully. The second game is one of the best games ever released for the PS3, it won game of the year overall for all formats all over on many websites and the Golden Joystick awards.

Cool, I'm the same, went from 360 to PS4, so haven't played any of the PS3 Uncharted games.

Seeing this too much. The 1TB IS NOT the new revision of the console. It is the glossy old one with the old power draw.

Has anyone seen the A revision in the wild here? Holding out but MGS draws close...

Wright wrote: »
    Seeing this too much. The 1TB IS NOT the new revision of the console. It is the glossy old one with the old power draw.

Has anyone seen the A revision in the wild here? Holding out but MGS draws close...

I know, the 500Gb is the new one. You have to look for the product code on the box to see if it's the new or old 500gb SKU you are buying.

The MGSV LE console will be the new 500GB SKU for example. The have got rid of the red gloss finish, so it overall red matt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

i upped my ps4 to a 2tb drive and have the 1tb xbox one, does the job for me.

I do however find myself downloading more digital on the xbox one then the ps4, specially being a EA access subscriber.

I know, the 500Gb is the new one. You have to look for the product code on the box to see if it's the new or old 500gb SKU you are buying.

The MGSV LE console will be the new 500GB SKU for example. The have got rid of the red gloss finish, so it overall red matt.

Wwhhaaaaaaaaaaaa? News to me. Gonna try and preorder.

Its far too late to preorder isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mlb10theshow

Did anyone see the new revision PS4 console in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Game and gamestop in the uk have them, you could ring gamestop, or Hmv and ask, maybe even argos too.

Did anyone see the new revision PS4 console in Ireland ?

The MGS LE PS4 is apparently one of the revisions, possibly making it the first on the island if Tesco and HMV don't get them in.

I want to hold out for a white one though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Has anyone done a network test in the last day or two, I never had numbers like this before, usually it's 25 down 5 up, I'm on 200Mb upc. *wired yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

CombatCow wrote: »
    Has anyone done a network test in the last day or two, I never had numbers like this before, usually it's 25 down 5 up, I'm on 200Mb upc.

Is that wired? I hope they have improved it. But to answer your question no I haven't done a test but I will later, or tomorrow and let you know.
    Actually judging by you original 25 down I'm guessing wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

CombatCow wrote: »
    Has anyone done a network test in the last day or two, I never had numbers like this before, usually it's 25 down 5 up, I'm on 200Mb upc. *wired yeah.

I get very similar numbers to you. My connection is 100mb Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'd be lucky to get 2 up and .256 down, bloody DSL... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I decided to test right now and it says. Cannot connect within the time limit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement