Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've use a Hitachi z71000 1tb for consistency of speed. I never had any issues.

Is that a internal drive or can you buy that in an external enclosure as well? If so do any B+M stores do it?

Just ask as if its internal id be ordering online and i kinda need it today with getting Destiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

EoinHef wrote: »
    Any guess how long the back up will take? Bout 460gb to be transferred

Could take a few hours (4 to 8) to firstly backup from the old drive and then maybe the same amount of time again to copy to the new drive.
    That's just from comments I've read around the place.

Could take a few hours (4 to 8) to firstly backup from the old drive and then maybe the same amount of time again to copy to the new drive.
    That's just from comments I've read around the place.

Can i not just backup/copy straight to the new drive and pop it in?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Can i not just backup/copy straight to the new drive and pop it in?

No, when a new HD is fitted to console, it automatically does a format of HD.

F1ngers wrote: »
    No, when a new HD is fitted to console, it automatically does a format of HD.

Dam it,thought i could just format the file system on the new drive before backing up to it. That sucks but i can see why they do it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Unfortunately, PS4 games install themselves onto the harddrive when get them, even if you have bought the disk. so short answer, no, you cannot delete this large storage file if you want to play the game

From the official playstation guide to changing the HDD it looks like the only thing i will be able to transfer to the new drive is the game data and saves and not the game installs themselves,am i reading that right?

Be an awful lot of games to re install/patches to re download if thats the case:(

If it is the case should have the console up and running quickly but will take a good while to redownload everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

From the official playstation guide to changing the HDD it looks like the only thing i will be able to transfer to the new drive is the game data and saves and not the game installs themselves,am i reading that right?

Be an awful lot of games to re install/patches to re download if thats the case:(

If it is the case should have the console up and running quickly but will take a good while to redownload everything
    You can back up your installs as well. Here is the guide I used http://m.imgur.com/a/9giKA

You can back up your installs as well. Here is the guide I used http://m.imgur.com/a/9giKA

Cheers,that seems to require a third external drive with enough space for a backup which i unfortunately dont have:(

I could use the 2tb as the backup and then store the data on PC and then copy it back to the default 500gb drive when i have it replaced but that would take even longer so i may just have to bite the bullet and re install/download the games.

Thanks for the help lads,i do appreciate it. Just wish i had done this sooner,im so lazzzzy:o

^^Decided not to bother getting another drive to save my games aswell,the transfer times over usb are just to slow,it may be quicker than downloading but id have to wait for it to finish etc before starting the next step. Can just leave the PS in rest mode over the next few nights and download the games hassle free. Im paying UPC enough money i might as well get full use of it:)

Installation is a doddle,well thought out layout for easy removal and installation. The software set up is a bit messy ie transferring save data one game at a time and cant reinstall save data till the application is re installed. Will have to keep the usb in till i reinstall the games and move the save files as i do.

Anyway,again thanks for the pointers lads,made the process a lot easier. Delighted to now have a 2TB PS4:)

As a side i got the new revision of the drive,as per the article its quite awkard to seperate the caddy,wasnt too hard but be careful as on mine the clips were tight enough that in seperating i scuffed the caddy in a few places. A bit more patience than i had and im sure it would be fine but if you plan to use the drive after take time to seperate it carefully as not to scuff the caddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You can do a copy all for the save files, no need to do them one at a time.

You can do a copy all for the save files, no need to do them one at a time.

Wouldnt let me do it that way,game data and saves could only be backed up to usb one at a time. Some games had multiple files that could be transferred together but only one game at a time. Maybe i missed something though.

All the capture gallery vids and images could be transferred at once which was easier.

Is it me or have download speeds increased lately as well?

Managed to get Destiny TTK,GTA,Warframe and a few smaller titles all installed and updated last night. Was pretty impressed with that. 3/4 paralell downloads all running at about 4mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wouldnt let me do it that way,game data and saves could only be backed up to usb one at a time. Some games had multiple files that could be transferred together but only one game at a time. Maybe i missed something though.

All the capture gallery vids and images could be transferred at once which was easier.

Is it me or have download speeds increased lately as well?

Managed to get Destiny TTK,GTA,Warframe and a few smaller titles all installed and updated last night. Was pretty impressed with that. 3/4 paralell downloads all running at about 4mb/s.

Speed depends on demands, around plus games being released or any large game releases is slow the rest of the time it'll max my line speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Otacon wrote: »
    NOPE. Please do not do that. It can lead to static and bad times.

mqdefault.jpg

Static should be removed if its plugged in to the wall, (grounded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Tales of Zestiria. Supposed to be good? I've read that the camera angle is horrendous.

Looking to pickup my first jrpg in the next few weeks. Is Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance a runner having never played any of the Disgaea series?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Tales of Zestiria. Supposed to be good? I've read that the camera angle is horrendous.

Looking to pickup my first jrpg in the next few weeks. Is Disgaea 5 Alliance of Vengeance a runner having never played any of the Disgaea series?

There was lots of controversy over Zestiria in Japan - they implied that one character would be in the full game and sold DLC for them... They ended up leaving the party after a few hours. It soured me on the game as a previous fan of the franchise.
    I've never played Disgaea, but if you want to start with JPRGs now I would recommend getting either Tales of Symphonia if you have a PS3, or Final Fantasy X for PS4. I would recommend Final Fantasy XV or Persona 5, but they won't be out for a good year or so.

There was lots of controversy over Zestiria in Japan - they implied that one character would be in the full game and sold DLC for them... They ended up leaving the party after a few hours. It soured me on the game as a previous fan of the franchise.
    I've never played Disgaea, but if you want to start with JPRGs now I would recommend getting either Tales of Symphonia if you have a PS3, or Final Fantasy X for PS4. I would recommend Final Fantasy XV or Persona 5, but they won't be out for a good year or so.

Have FFX for the Vita - quality game. Brings back my teenage years. I read about the controversy surrounding Zestiria. People are quite bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I will be picking up both and Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below next month

I would not recommend Disgaea for anyone's first JRPG, it is a great series, but it is very deep and complicated with oddball humour and a lot of grinding, you either love it or hate it, plus it is a tactics game which can be another turn off, it has also been delayed till the 23rd of Oct.

There is nothing wrong with Zestiria, DLC issue aside, it was very well received in Japan, the camera is fine, well it is better then Tales of Symphonia anyway.

You could always hold off and wait for the likes of Star Ocean 5, Ni-Oh, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Yoru no nai Kuni, Project Setsuna, Persona 5, or Exist Archive to come out next year, they will all be better than Zestiria.

Also have a look at Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below, it's out next month, but it is more of an action RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Have FFX for the Vita - quality game. Brings back my teenage years. I read about the controversy surrounding Zestiria. People are quite bitter.

FFX is great... FFX-2 less so :pac: It was a bad move, pure money-grubbing... If you have a Vita have you tried Persona 4: Golden?

Xenji wrote: »
    I will be picking up both and Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below next month

I would not recommend Disgaea for anyone's first JRPG, it is a great series, but it is very deep and complicated with oddball humour and a lot of grinding, you either love it or hate it, plus it is a tactics game which can be another turn off, it has also been delayed till the 23rd of Oct.

There is nothing wrong with Zestiria, DLC issue aside, it was very well received in Japan, the camera is fine, well it is better then Tales of Symphonia anyway.

You could always hold off and wait for the likes of Star Ocean 5, Ni-Oh, 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Yoru no nai Kuni, Project Setsuna, Persona 5, or Exist Archive to come out next year, they will all be better than Zestiria.

Also have a look at Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below, it's out next month, but it is more of an action RPG.

I love grinding. Used to spend hours monotonously running around FF games looking for random battles to build my character.

• Advertisement

I love grinding. Used to spend hours monotonously running around FF games looking for random battles to build my character.

Well you can easily put at least 300 hours in Disgaea just grinding, as everything is basically grindable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The thing about Disgaea is the grinding is the game, but there are loads of incredibly complex mechanics involved in said grind - and they only grow more complex with each passing sequel. There's a wealth of systems to get to grips with, make use of and ultimately exploit the heck out of :) It's very different to your typical mindless RPG grind, and that's why I like it: there's no game that understands the appeal of levelling up quite like it does.

Not for everyone, though: while the main campaigns are usually thoroughly enjoyable, it's in the post game that there's pretty much limitless play. It's a cliche but it rewards what you put in - the fourth is the first I've played a whole lot of, and it was terrific. But you'd want to enjoy number crunching and be willing to contend with some often confounding systems to get the most out of it. A very acquired taste, but for my money there's few better pure JPRGs out there.

It looks like the PS4 is getting an early access programme, although most of these end up being quite messy.
    Dungeon Defenders II will be available for PS4 on 29th September in pre-alpha!

But please note that Dungeon Defenders II is still under development! During this time, some features, like local co-op and controller support, will be ahead of the PC version, but other features and content will be rolling in after they are released on PC.

In the future, Dungeon Defenders II will be free, supported by ethical microtransactions. Pre-alpha access will be immediately available to anyone who purchases a currency bundle on PlayStation Store on 29th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Anybody use the Playstation FC App?
    It's still showing me as having no pts but when I look at my predictions for gameweek 1 I should have around 10pts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Uncharted demo is up now, 7.something gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭padraig_f

CombatCow wrote: »

Cool, I was interested in this, but wasn't sure about paying full price, so will be eager to try the demo.

PS4 system software update 3.0 launches tomorrow. Take a visual tour right now: http://bit.ly/1FzLwit
    The 3.00 system software update on PS4, codename: Kenshin, will be available to download starting tomorrow, September 30th. We want to extend our sincere thanks to everyone that participated in the beta. I want you to all know that we’ve listened. Your feedback made this system software update even better.

There are a lot of changes in this update, from entirely new features to UI enhancements. While we detailed its key features earlier this month, we wanted to give a visual tour of our favorite new additions. This update is focused on creating new ways to connect with friends and players around the world, expanding the social capabilities of the system even further.

Sharing video clips to Twitter: Now it’s easy to share video clips to Twitter directly from your PS4. You’ll see a new icon on the Upload Video Clip menu, nestled between Facebook and YouTube. Maximum video length is 10 seconds, though you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips. Don’t forget — you can double tap the Share button to start recording a video, and press it again to stop.

PlayStation Plus: We’ve made a dedicated section for PlayStation Plus, which you can access by clicking the big Plus icon on the top right corner of your PS4 home screen. Once there you can easily manage your membership, see the monthly free games to download, deals for PS Plus members, and all of the games you’ve redeemed through PS Plus on PS4.

YouTube live: You’ll see a new icon for YouTube on the Broadcast Gameplay Screen, accessible after hitting the Share button. Now you can live stream directly from your PS4 to YouTube. Livestreams will be viewable across YouTube.

PNG Screenshots: If you’d like your game screenshots to be in a higher quality format, you can now select PNG instead of JPEG. To access, press Share > Share Settings > Screenshot Settings > Image Format.

Events: A new hub for Events has been added to PS4, accessible from the home screen. This will give you an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, here’s an in-game racing event taking place in Project Cars, which you can register for directly from the Events hub.

Improvements to Messages and Favorite Groups: We’ve improved Messages by making it easier to access groups of people you chat and play games with frequently. Once you’re added to or create a group, you’ll see the online status for friends, what games they are playing, and the option to message or chat in party all in one spot. When you add or create a new favorite group, they’ll appear in your Friends app under Favorite Groups for quick access. For example, you can see we have favorite groups for Call of Duty, Rocket League, and Destiny.

Communities: PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres, and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players, and the ability to join parties / games.

Stickers: From the PS4 system’s Messages app, you’ll see a new option for Stickers. The 3.00 update will contain stickers themed around Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Knack, LittleBigPlanet 3, Resogun, and more. Instead of typing out a message, just send a sticker — like Drake looking at a watch, asking you to wait a minute.”

We’re constantly striving to make PS4 even better, and appreciate all the feedback! If you would like to submit an idea on how to improve the PlayStation experience, share it here. We will continue to make PS4 the best place to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Anyone already have the new tony hawks off the US store ?
    I seen gamestop are doing pre orders (for seventy five fcuking euros)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

airmax87 wrote: »
    Anyone already have the new tony hawks off the US store ?
    I seen gamestop are doing pre orders (for seventy five fcuking euros)

If you're going to gamestop for your games, you are doing it wrong...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement