Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS4 price drop in the US. Brings it in line with the XBox One over there and within $50 of the WiiU (which makes the WiiU price seem like madness).

Perhaps we'll see a price drop over here for Christmas. We might even see shortages of the console this year as well, although Sony have had no problem keeping up with demand due to the uncomplicated architecture.

With such aggressive price drops so early on it might me we could see a 100-150 euro/dollar PS4 in it's lifetime? The 360 and PS3 were just too complex to reduce costs as effectively as previous gen consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Think we had to wait 2 and a half years for the slim PS2. Maybe a PS4 slim next year would bring in another price drop.
    Surely by Chrismas 2016 we could pick it up for sub €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS4 price drop in the US. Brings it in line with the XBox One over there and within $50 of the WiiU (which makes the WiiU price seem like madness).

Perhaps we'll see a price drop over here for Christmas. We might even see shortages of the console this year as well, although Sony have had no problem keeping up with demand due to the uncomplicated architecture.

With such aggressive price drops so early on it might me we could see a 100-150 euro/dollar PS4 in it's lifetime? The 360 and PS3 were just too complex to reduce costs as effectively as previous gen consoles.

I expect the EU price drop to happen during Paris Games Week. Without any major exclusives, Sony need to do something to combat the release of Halo 5, Forza 6 and RotTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Think we had to wait 2 and a half years for the slim PS2. Maybe a PS4 slim next year would bring in another price drop.
    Surely by Chrismas 2016 we could pick it up for sub €300.

For a couple of weeks there Argos had a 500GB PS4 with Destiny the taken king at €299.99, so hopefully it won't take another year for that to be the standard price!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I was archiving some old pics the other day and I found this one from May 2007 which I took, I think in Harvey Normans or Gamestop.
    Incredible to see the difference in prices between this and the PS4in a few years.
    21847369189_b309a30b4d_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah the PS3 and 360 were real Boom era machines. Stupidly high prices, weird architecture and crazy custom chips. The One and PS4 on the other hand are real recession machines, basically a PC in a box made from cheap off the shelf components from the lowest tenderer and easy to miniaturise for future production cost cuts. They are were also relatively low powered at launch and are near archaic now in terms of what is available on PC while it took a mega PC at the time to match or beat the 360 and PS3 at launch.

Another big problem with the PS3 at the time was they tried to make it the ultimate playstation capable of playing any game from 3 generations of Playstations. Add to that a serious amount of multimedia options that eventually got cut to reduce costs.

It brings back memories of early adopter fanboys defending Resistance at launch as a good game :P Actually those fanboy wars were a pain in the ass to moderate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The PS2 was highly priced when it launched in 2000 as well. £379.99 Irish punts. That was a lot of money at that time.

The only console I have ever bought on launch day. I got one in HMV in Blanchardstown. Timesplitters was the only passable game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Lemlin wrote: »
    The PS2 was highly priced when it launched in 2000 as well. £379.99 Irish punts. That was a lot of money at that time.

The only console I have ever bought on launch day. I got one in HMV in Blanchardstown. Timesplitters was the only passable game.

I loved timesplitters. Spent many a day not going to college cos of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I got my PS2 in an ESB shop of all places as a christmas present, they were like gold dust at that stage, I think I got Tekken Tag Tournament, SSX and Ridge Racer with it, must of been the only one in town to have one, it was back in the days of renting out games in Xtravision and for weeks after I was the only one renting them.

First console I had modded as well about two years later, it still sees great use as I basically have the whole library available to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Xenji wrote: »
    I got my PS2 in an ESB shop of all places as a christmas present, they were like gold dust at that stage, I think I got Tekken Tag Tournament, SSX and Ridge Racer with it, must of been the only one in town to have one, it was back in the days of renting out games in Xtravision and for weeks after I was the only one renting them.

First console I had modded as well about two years later, it still sees great use as I basically have the whole library available to me.

They were actually chatting the other day on the radio about the days when you could rent a console from Xtravision.

• Advertisement

Thought the PS2 was the ugliest console ever and the line up at and after launch was laughable. Klonoa 2 was good but being an idiot teen I turned my nose up at it. The Dreamcast at the time was knocking it out of the park with quality games and everything on it looked way better than anything on PS2. Then Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cray and GTA3 arrived on the run up to second Christmas and well I had to have one.

It's taking a hell of a lot longer for the current batch of consoles to build up that kind of library.

They were actually chatting the other day on the radio about the days when you could rent a console from Xtravision.

I remember my parents renting me out a Mega Drive and a SNES back in the day from the local video store before they bought me my own, also we used to have a shop you could go into, pick out a game to play and they had loads of consoles set up in a back room.

Those shops were probably really common around the country, but as a 7 or 8 year old in Mayo it seemed quite futuristic at the time :D

Actually 7 or 8 year old me could probably kick my ass at most Sega or Nintendo games of that time, I honestly struggle now with some games I could easily beat 20 years ago :(

Thought the PS2 was the ugliest console ever and the line up at and after launch was laughable. Klonoa 2 was good but being an idiot teen I turned my nose up at it. The Dreamcast at the time was knocking it out of the park with quality games and everything on it looked way better than anything on PS2. Then Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cray and GTA3 arrived on the run up to second Christmas and well I had to have one.

It's taking a hell of a lot longer for the current batch of consoles to build up that kind of library.

I think between September 2000 and the end of 2001, nearly 150 games were released for the PS2, people were spoiled for choice back then, although a lot of the games were very mediocre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Xenji wrote: »
    I think between September 2000 and the end of 2001, nearly 150 games were released for the PS2, people were spoiled for choice back then, although a lot of the games were very mediocre.

In the first year of ps4 over 150 games released!!! 99% were less than mediocre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Turned on my PS4 for the 1st time in like 2 months today and the PSN store wont load at all for me all i am getting is a blue screen when i click into it :/.

I have the PS4 wired and i tried wireless and i am getting the same problem on both what might it be ?. I have updated the software on the console if anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Still annoys me to this day how easily the PS2 swatted aside the Dreamcast despite having an incredible library that Christmas and a very competitive price tag.

The general public were moronic sheep in wanting the PS2 at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Turned on my PS4 for the 1st time in like 2 months today and the PSN store wont load at all for me all i am getting is a blue screen when i click into it :/.

I have the PS4 wired and i tried wireless and i am getting the same problem on both what might it be ?. I have updated the software on the console if anyone is wondering.

Did you download the latest software for the PS4? In settings,system updates. Should be 3.0 installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

EoinHef wrote: »
    Did you download the latest software for the PS4? In settings,system updates. Should be 3.0 installed

Yap its 3.0 on it had to turn the console and plug it out 3 times to get the store the load .....

One of the reasons i moved over to the xbox one how bad PSN is !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yap its 3.0 on it had to turn the console and plug it out 3 times to get the store the load .....

One of the reasons i moved over to the xbox one how bad PSN is !!!

Yeah ive had issues with the store the odd time myself,lot of people downloading the battlefront beta today so id imagine the network is under pressure. Store was fine for me earlier though

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Still annoys me to this day how easily the PS2 swatted aside the Dreamcast despite having an incredible library that Christmas and a very competitive price tag.

The general public were moronic sheep in wanting the PS2 at launch.

Well by that time games were synomynous with games the same way Nintendo was and Atari before it. The console basically sold on name alone since people associated only Playstation with games since it dealt so thoroughly with the competition. Sony expected the PS3 to do the same and got the smugness slapped from their face by much stronger competition from the 360... Then Microsoft blew it with the one by making the same mistakes as Sony.

I love the Consolevania sketch when the price of the PS3 was announced and ?Ken Kutaragi's reaction was that it was too cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,456 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I love the Consolevania sketch when the price of the PS3 was announced and ?Ken Kutaragi's reaction was that it was too cheap.

Right, that's enough internet for me today...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Star Wars Battlefront Beta is out today. On the PSN store

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Good times ! I hadn't preordered the ps2... God knows why ! On launch day i walked into local XV after work and asked the girl had they any to rent. To my amazement she says I have one here if you want to buy it. Ran to the ATM (no fancy visa debit cards in them days) £450 for the PS2 with GT3 and Jurassic park 1+2 on DVD !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Gran Turismo 3 wasn't out at launch.
    It came out in July 2001.
    Sorry just saying.
    It must have been another game you bought with it.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Gran Turismo 3 wasn't out at launch.
    It came out in July 2001.
    Sorry just saying.
    It must have been another game you bought with it.

Probably Ridge Racer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

ERG89 wrote: »
    Star Wars Battlefront Beta is out today. On the PSN store

Everyone should download, brilliant game !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Apparently PSNow launched in the UK today as a £12.99 per month subscription service.

Any word of when it will be available over here? The per game pricing they originally planned put me off at the time but a sub sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Much better pricing system, they should of had that at the start, hopefully they haven't burned their bridges with people over it already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

CombatCow wrote: »
    Much better pricing system, they should of had that at the start, hopefully they haven't burned their bridges with people over it already...

much more appealing imo had no interest at all originally but now i will certainly use it

• Advertisement

The subscription price makes a lot more sense, a bit of a surprise to see it being made available though, it was meant to be next year for EU.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement