Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nope but it does look good. I never knew this but the original Wasteland released in 1988 provided the concept and basis for the original Fallout games.

Would be interested too to see if anyone has tried it.

Just found a thread on it - link

I have it for pc but for some reason i want it on ps4 too , cool game , very tough in parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Xenji wrote: »
    Firewatch has a release date.

That looks very interesting, definitely will keep an eye out for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Random Q.

I'm having trouble playing video files from USB.

Most video formats are not seen on the stick.

I've tried universal media server and it disconnects every couple of mins .

Am i missing a step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Random Q.

I'm having trouble playing video files from USB.

Most video formats are not seen on the stick.

I've tried universal media server and it disconnects every couple of mins .

Am i missing a step.

What formats are you trying to play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm back in the fold; after 7 long months of having no gaming system I picked my PS4 up this morning :D

Got the 1TB Uncharted bundle that also came with Evolve and £20 in vouchers so I also got Fifa 16 for £25. So 1TB and 3 games came to £355.

Is Evolve any good? Been out of the gaming loop and had never heard of it. I only ever played the first Uncharted game, so can't wait to play the much lauded sequels.

Any other console noob tips? Still getting my head around PS+ and PS Now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'm back in the fold; after 7 long months of having no gaming system I picked my PS4 up this morning :D

Got the 1TB Uncharted bundle that also came with Evolve and £20 in vouchers so I also got Fifa 16 for £25. So 1TB and 3 games came to £355.

Is Evolve any good? Been out of the gaming loop and had never heard of it. I only ever played the first Uncharted game, so can't wait to play the much lauded sequels.

In my opinion, Evolve is shîte. I'd say trade it in for something like Wolfenstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Otacon wrote: »
    What formats are you trying to play?

H.264, MP4 mainly .

I never had a problem with my ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Because the PS3 was designed as a console and media player from day one. The PS4 was console only to lower costs and speed up production. It only got limited media playback abilities added a few months ago. It's not a priority in Sony's future vision going forward.

The Xbox One is the media gaming console and with play and stream just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

H.264, MP4 mainly .

Just download the Plex app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I use the media player on the PS4 to stream using Plex on my PC. It hasn't refused anything yet and it's great as you don't need a Plex Pass to view that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Because the PS3 was designed as a console and media player from day one. The PS4 was console only to lower costs and speed up production. It only got limited media playback abilities added a few months ago. It's not a priority in Sony's future vision going forward.

The Xbox One is the media gaming console and with play and stream just about anything.

Sorry but this is just not true,theres nothing stopping Sony from implementing .mp4 and h264,they wont do it because they are the main formats along with .mkv for pirated movies.

The PS4 as a piece of hardaware is more than capable of running them and could easily be patched in in a firmware update but sony just dont want people watching pirated movies on their console when there also in the movie business too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Supports them already

File formats and codecs

Video

MKV
    Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
    AVI
    Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    MP4
    Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
    MPEG-2 TS
    Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
    Photo

JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
    BMP
    PNG
    Music

MP3
    AAC (M4A)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

Howdy folks. In the process of buying a Ps4. First time back with Sony since the Ps2. What do I need to do to get the best from it?

Playstation+ worth investing in? Any good bundle deals on at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I've found the media player very dodgy as well, a couple of .mp4 it just wouldn't play. Switched over to PS3 and it played it without an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Varik wrote: »
    Supports them already

File formats and codecs

Video

MKV
    AVI
    Visual: MPEG4 ASP, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2
    MP4
    Audio: AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
    MPEG-2 TS
    Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level4.2, MPEG2 Visual
    Audio: MP2 (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2), AAC LC, AC-3(Dolby Digital)
    AVCHD: (.m2ts, .mts)
    Photo

JPEG (based on DCF 2.0/Exif 2.21)
    BMP
    PNG
    Music

MP3
    AAC (M4A)

The devil is in the detail though,each format only supports specific codecs/audio. And you guessed it,not the type thats usually downloaded from torrent sites.

Id be fairly confident in saying this was done to stop people using the console to play pirated movies.

Files can be converted to supported format but thats more hassle than its worth imo

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Faker74

Howdy folks. In the process of buying a Ps4. First time back with Sony since the Ps2. What do I need to do to get the best from it?

In general Argos seem to be the best place. For bundle deals, although their current selection isn't the best they have done it still gets most other bricks and mortar stores.

PS+ is well worth it in my opinion, The free monthly games tend to be indie fare which I know some people aren't crazy about, but you get the occasional gem. And it is a requirement for online gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still no PlayStation plus anniversary reward yet, it was October right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Varik wrote: »
    Still no PlayStation plus anniversary reward yet, it was October right.

Yeah it did say October and nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

CEX will only give you a €12 voucher for Evolve and it was out this year so it must be fairly bad.

Try swap it with someone on the thread here. There might be a person that wants to try it.

Get yourself Bloodborne. It's the best game on PS4. €35 in CEX or €23 with your Evolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

I play dark soul 3 pretty good guys hard as hell but fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

So bit the dust and purchased Life is Stange Episode 1 with my spare $5 ... Wow, just wow... That ending of Episode 1 just made me instantly want the rest of the episodes... The music is absolutely outstanding !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So bit the dust and purchased Life is Stange Episode 1 with my spare $5 ... Wow, just wow... That ending of Episode 1 just made me instantly want the rest of the episodes... The music is absolutely outstanding !!

If you thought the ending of episode one was good, wait until you play 2, 3 and 4.

Can't wait for the finale tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Faker74 wrote: »
    In general Argos seem to be the best place. For bundle deals, although their current selection isn't the best they have done it still gets most other bricks and mortar stores.

PS+ is well worth it in my opinion, The free monthly games tend to be indie fare which I know some people aren't crazy about, but you get the occasional gem. And it is a requirement for online gaming.

Could be having a price cut in the next few weeks (based on US and Japanese price cuts + pics from Dutch stores) so would wait a week or two before buying a PS4 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

1. The Last of Us

2. Yes

3. The Last of Us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

gimli2112 wrote: »
    1. The Last of Us

2. Yes

3. The Last of Us?

I couldn't get the hype for The Last of Us when it was out first but I saw it cheap on PSstore one day and thought "fúck it, why not?". Now I completely understand... Its one of the rare games that not only lives up to the hype but completely surpasses it. The story is astonishing, the graphics are unreal, I reckon it's the perfect game. So yeah, I'd also recommend The Last of Us.

titan18 wrote: »
    Could be having a price cut in the next few weeks (based on US and Japanese price cuts + pics from Dutch stores) so would wait a week or two before buying a PS4 now.

What are Dutch stores quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

Would someone be so kind to pop up an idiots guide to setting up a US account please and thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

weiland79 wrote: »
    Would someone be so kind to pop up an idiots guide to setting up a US account please and thank you.

You will have to google that as it's not allowed to be discussed on Boards as it's against Sony's T&Cs.

It's not hard though. Ever give someone you don't know a fake name and address. On the payment side of things you have to be a bit more creative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Faker74 wrote: »
    What are Dutch stores quoting?

https://twitter.com/AllGamesBeta/status/655711281329086464/photo/1

They've got promos for a price drop of 50 euro.

• Advertisement

Very nice, so if retailers like Argos keep their current approx Fifty Euro off mark downs, we could be looking at sub 300 Euro for the console.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement