Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Looks like the hard drive was wiped or just failed. Do anything fall on the PS4 or was it damaged in any way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Nope, I was midgame in Destiny and it just froze. Fantastic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

As someone new to PlayStation, I'm wondering about psplus.

Do people think it's worth paying for if you don't plan on playing online multiplayer?

It's looks like there're some good deals on ps-store discounts and free games I think as well, is that correct? I don't have much interest in online multiplayer so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
    Honestly not for me, but as I use multiplayer I have no choice, if your on the fence maybe hold off until you see a game arrive on plus you want then anything after that is a bonus.
    I haven't taken any of the plus games in ages! Think don't starve was the last!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Do people think it's worth paying for if you don't plan on playing online multiplayer?

It's looks like there're some good deals on ps-store discounts and free games I think as well, is that correct? I don't have much interest in online multiplayer so I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I had it for the free month trial, but didn't really wow me.

I don't do the online multiplayer thing. I may take the plunge when one of the free games is decent.

They also like to email me discount codes from time to time "10% off if you purchase three months" - so if you're unsure, you may get a code sent to you when you want one of those games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I rarely ever play online but i still have a PS+ sub. Some of the games you get are sweet. Ok, they might not be AAA titles but there are some really good games in there, also as others have said, the exclusive discounts you can get off games are pretty good too. It more than pays for itself imo. Others will disagree but they are the ones that most probably think indie games are beneath them in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Impressive!

Why are you playing it if you hate it?

I'm too stingy to splash out 70 quid on the new need for speed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

AdMMM wrote: »
    Nope, I was midgame in Destiny and it just froze. Fantastic...

Download the Update from Sony and apply it via USB. Was it all up to date before you started playing destiny ?

might be a conflict there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

airmax87 wrote: »
    I'm too stingy to splash out 70 quid on the new need for speed :pac:

You're not missing much judging by review scores!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

listermint wrote: »
    Download the Update from Sony and apply it via USB. Was it all up to date before you started playing destiny ?

might be a conflict there.
    Managed to start it in safe mode and initialised it. Spending the night downloading a couple of hundred gigs was great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭weiland79

TheDoc wrote: »
    Was looking for an old post of mine and the search brought up some posts I made here when the PS4 launched. Have to say total waste of money on my part. Barely played it, bought a few games and barely played them either. PS4 simply isn't pulling attention away from my PC.

Really want to try force the issue, probably over Xmas with some time off and people wanting to get me some presents.

Uncharted Collection
    GTA 5
    Last of Us Remastered
    Alien Isolation

Thinking along the lines of those four. Single player games with good length and seem to be well regarded. I have GTA 5 for PS3 that I played a bit and was loving it. Think I'd really like to give it a go on the PS4 with the upgrades. Same with Last of Us. Have them both on PS3, barely played them, might be worth going fresh on with PS4.

Uncharted collection seems to be heralded, heard of the games before but never bothered playing them.

CoD was what initially gripped me into consoles away from PC. The latest blops seems to be well regarded so have been on the fence as that might be something that can pull me in. Although cant get my head around the futuristic look it has now

Bloodborne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So those star wars games that were released on PS4 weren't a port, turns out there's a ps2 emulator running them.

Sony confined it but nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Still.....holds out strongly for being able to play the classics I bought for my PS3 on my PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From Yesterday.
    Sony is working on bringing PlayStation 2 titles to the PlayStation 4, the company confirmed to WIRED Thursday evening.

“We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation,” a Sony representative told WIRED via email. “We have nothing further to comment at this point in time.”

It seems as if the first PS2 games using this emulation software to run on PS4 are already out: a bundle available now at retail that includes a PS4 console and the Star Wars: Battlefront game also includes a selection of bonus classic games: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

The latter three games, according to the Digital Foundry, as reported by Eurogamer, aren’t simply ports of old code to the PS4. Instead, there are a number of signs indicating that they’re running on proprietary emulation software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I haven't much interest in playing ps2 games tbh... But there's a few PS3 ones I never got round too so the Xbox one backwards compatibility made me a little jealous.... I wonder is this a stepping stone to bring PS3 games into the 4? ... Or maybe the expense vs the appetite for it don't match up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

RedXIV wrote: »
    Still.....holds out strongly for being able to play the classics I bought for my PS3 on my PS4
    I wonder is this a stepping stone to bring PS3 games into the 4? .
    No unfortunately,
    https://www.vg247.com/2015/10/28/ps4-not-backward-compatible-with-ps3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

cadete wrote: »

All I want is my ps1 classics again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Finished Soma. Fantastic game that I would recommend to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

RedXIV wrote: »
    All I want is my ps1 classics again :D

Spyro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I haven't much interest in playing ps2 games tbh... But there's a few PS3 ones I never got round too so the Xbox one backwards compatibility made me a little jealous.... I wonder is this a stepping stone to bring PS3 games into the 4? ... Or maybe the expense vs the appetite for it don't match up.

There's no reason for them to want to offer PS3 games on PS4. It would gut the business model for PS Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Does anyone know what the story is with the game sharw feature?
    A friend of mine suggested I setup a game share with someone so we could play each others games. Unfortunately, all my friends are on Xbox. Would anyone be interested in doing if?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How do I tell the difference instores between the older version of ps4 ya know the noisy one compared to the new one that apparently is he'll of a lot quieter and runs cooler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

How do I tell the difference instores between the older version of ps4 ya know the noisy one compared to the new one that apparently is he'll of a lot quieter and runs cooler
    The model number of the newer ones is CUH-1200.

Evade wrote: »
    The model number of the newer ones is CUH-1200.

Is there really a huge difference in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

Is there really a huge difference in them
    Not really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The newer models also come with mechanical power & eject buttons rather than the older touch sensitive ones - which was probably the cause of the random disc eject problems lots of folk experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The gloss section on top over the hard drive on the older models scratches so easily. Anyone that knows me knows I have OCD with my tech and things in general keeping them in good nick. Having said that my PS4 looks wrecked with scratches on that section.

Not a big deal at all but so surprised at how easily it scratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

The gloss section on top over the hard drive on the older models scratches so easily. Anyone that knows me knows I have OCD with my tech and things in general keeping them in good nick. Having said that my PS4 looks wrecked with scratches on that section.

Not a big deal at all but so surprised at how easily it scratches.

There is new faceplates for that section coming this week at gamestop I think, maybe that will sort the scratching problem, also comes in various different colours so may not be too bad for €20...

Andrew76 wrote: »
    The newer models also come with mechanical power & eject buttons rather than the older touch sensitive ones - which was probably the cause of the random disc eject problems lots of folk experienced.

Is it true that the fan is massively quieter

There is new faceplates for that section coming this week at gamestop I think, maybe that will sort the scratching problem, also comes in various different colours so may not be too bad for €20...

Who shops in gamestop? Someone likes overpaying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is it true that the fan is massively quieter

I traded my launch model for the MGS custom model and the fan is now whisper quiet compared to the launch model, you would not even know the PS4 was on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement