Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

listermint wrote: »
    When you say turn it off, how are you doing that ?

Are you powering down completely through the UI. Or are you knocking the power off at the wall, or ever knocking the power off at the wall before it gets to completely power down.

Either of the 2 above will put you into safe mode 100%

If I'm powering off, its through the UI.
    Sometimes, however, the PlayStation will power itself off when I turn the TV back on. (My short term solution was to leave it running all day/night) and will keep booting to safe mode. The oddest thing about it, is sometimes it has no problems (All be it rarely)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mister Man wrote: »
    If I'm powering off, its through the UI.
    Sometimes, however, the PlayStation will power itself off when I turn the TV back on. (My short term solution was to leave it running all day/night) and will keep booting to safe mode. The oddest thing about it, is sometimes it has no problems (All be it rarely)

Sounds like a HDD about to die to me, defo bring it back...

Try get your bits and transfer over to a portable HD if you can for when you get the new one, or upload all your saves to cloud and redownload the games....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If the PS4 is powering down when the TV is turned on and off it sounds like you have the HDMI device link turned on.

Turn that off and the PS4 wont turn off when you power off the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

EoinHef wrote: »
    If the PS4 is powering down when the TV is turned on and off it sounds like you have the HDMI device link turned on.

Turn that off and the PS4 wont turn off when you power off the TV

This!, i dont think there is a problem here with the PS4, HDMI cables have more abilities than most people understand.

Check out your settings .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, definitely check out what the previous few posters have said.

I have a Humax satellite box which was p*ssing me off for ages. In standby it would sporadically send some sort of wake-up signal through the HDMI causing my TV to automatically switch over to it, even though it would never switch on. Changing the auto detection link settings on the TV sorted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Same as with MS, Sony have allowed developers to share use of the 7th core with the 8th remaining dedicated to the OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I'm finally boarding the PS4 train this Christmas and am thinking of the following games to wake up to on the 25th Dec
    • Pro Evolution 2016 - Played the demo on PS3 and am well impressed, excellent gameplay - really top notch just like the good 'ol days. I hear the ability to import option files is easier now on PS4 also.
    • Arkham Knight - Played City and Origins and really enjoyed them. From what I have seen\read, this one seems to up the ante again and is really aiming for the series to go out with a bang
    • Star Wars Battlefront - This looks incredible, albeit probably more so for SW fans than FPS fans but the graphics look excellent and the sound design is the best in any SW game to date. The lack of content is being addressed by DICE from reading an update from them so hopefully that should tag on a few more hours of gaming. Having said that Battlefield 1942 only had 4 main maps and I played that to death so..

Games that just missed out on the cut
    • GTA V - Have it on the PS3 and love it, and although I like the FPS aspect, Im over halfway through it and couldn't bring myself to go through old missions again
    • Shadow of Mordor - Again, looks like a great action game with a nice perspective in that enemies remember you and get promoted based on how they do against you - adds the element of "scores to settle"

Just looking for opinions on my choices for first games to get on PS4 - is there anything I've missed and should definitely take a look at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just looking for opinions on my choices for first games to get on PS4 - is there anything I've missed and should definitely take a look at?

My answer is always the same - The Last of Us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm finally boarding the PS4 train this Christmas and am thinking of the following games to wake up to on the 25th Dec

GET ROCKET LEAGUE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Always worth having one game that does not require online connectivity for Christmas Day.
    Going by the last few years, the PSN has been slow or even completely borked by Lizard Squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gimli2112 wrote: »
    My answer is always the same - The Last of Us :)

Destiny will not love you for that, I can see your drops getting even rarer now :P

Shadow of Mordor is a brilliant game.
    Destiny, the taken king is brilliant.

And that's a 1TB used on my PS4.

Next upgrade

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bloodborne. Always Bloodborne. Playing through it again en route to DLC, and I'm increasingly of the opinion that it's one of the greatest games ever made. No other 'major' release on the console comes close.

Don't forget the downloadables either, primarily Resogun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Is there anyway to find out how many hours you've played a game? Like the wiiu which has a log book. "game x" hours played, number of times played etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is there anyway to find out how many hours you've played a game? Like the wiiu which has a log book. "game x" hours played, number of times played etc?

Unless the game itself has a timer, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Could anyone recommend good quality charging cables. My boys seem to go through cables every few weeks, cable bending and breaking at the controller end.
    Probably playing too much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,457 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

vicadd wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend good quality charging cables. My boys seem to go through cables every few weeks, cable bending and breaking at the controller end.

If you have a mains socket or extension lead near the chair you're sitting in, get a phone charger and use that. Far more sturdy than those flimsy USB cables, never use mine at all, the old Blackberry charger is perfect and I can see it lasting years more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

ZenU8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Try these. As they are fabric, they shouldn't break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

martyos121 Thanks, will check those out
    dudeeile Nice idea - might give it a go
    Otacon I was looking at some like those on amazon, the ones you've linked to, don't have great reviews, but I had also checked out some similar braided cables and whilst reviews mostly positive, they also had lots of posts saying worked for a while and then stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My console is sitting in my pm box :)
    The bad news is I looked at my credit card statement. Its horrendous!

martyos121 Thanks, will check those out
    dudeeile Nice idea - might give it a go
    Otacon I was looking at some like those on amazon, the ones you've linked to, don't have great reviews, but I had also checked out some similar braided cables and whilst reviews mostly positive, they also had lots of posts saying worked for a while and then stopped.

Happens to me on my mice, which is braided but I wrap a cable tie around it at the mouse end to stop it kinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Looking to update to the newer model of the PS4 in January or if I see a good deal before Christmas. Would people here expect a price drop in January?

Can someone also confirm that I am looking to get the CUH 1216B model? With a 1TB harddrive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Pro Evolution 2016 - Played the demo on PS3 and am well impressed, excellent gameplay - really top notch just like the good 'ol days. I hear the ability to import option files is easier now on PS4 also.
    • Arkham Knight - Played City and Origins and really enjoyed them. From what I have seen\read, this one seems to up the ante again and is really aiming for the series to go out with a bang
    • Star Wars Battlefront - This looks incredible, albeit probably more so for SW fans than FPS fans but the graphics look excellent and the sound design is the best in any SW game to date. The lack of content is being addressed by DICE from reading an update from them so hopefully that should tag on a few more hours of gaming. Having said that Battlefield 1942 only had 4 main maps and I played that to death so..

Games that just missed out on the cut
    • GTA V - Have it on the PS3 and love it, and although I like the FPS aspect, Im over halfway through it and couldn't bring myself to go through old missions again
    • Shadow of Mordor - Again, looks like a great action game with a nice perspective in that enemies remember you and get promoted based on how they do against you - adds the element of "scores to settle"

I wouldn't get any of them bar GTA5 or maybe Pro Evo (I don't care about soccer). The Batman game is a real chore to get through, most people seem to hate the batmobile (I didn't mind it personally) and the gameplay is by and large the same as it has always been. Battlefront/Destiny are both rip-offs considering the content on offer...particularly the former. SoM is a god awful game, avoid it all costs. Combat is button mashy, its too easy, story/ending are awful etc.

Bloodborne, The Last of Us, MGS5, Driveclub and The Witcher 3 are the best big budget games, stuff like Transistor, Soma, Rocket League and Journey for indies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Bloodborne is so ridiculously good, it is a system seller. I hated it when I first played it, but I kept going and its now one of my favourite games of all time, I've played through it 5 times this year. Outstanding it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Deedsie wrote: »
    Looking to update to the newer model of the PS4 in January or if I see a good deal before Christmas. Would people here expect a price drop in January?

Can someone also confirm that I am looking to get the CUH 1216B model? With a 1TB harddrive?

The CUH 1216B only comes with the Uncharted bundle at the moment.

Xenji wrote: »

That a physical or digital copy that comes with that bundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

New need for speed is a bit easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Varik wrote: »
    That a physical or digital copy that comes with that bundle

Not sure, saw people saying they got vouchers and others saying they got the physical copy, I think Gamestop are pushing for the physical game to be included in bundles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Xenji wrote: »

Does the CUH 1216B come with both the 500gb and 1tb PS4 Uncharted Collection bundles? €399 in Argos is the best deal I can find for the 1TB uncharted bundle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement