Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

I believe they update it every 48 hours? Still Uncharted Collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah its every 48hrs,just not sure if uncharted went up yesterday or the day before. Hoping to pick up bloodborne if it goes on sale

Same as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah its every 48hrs,just not sure if uncharted went up yesterday or the day before. Hoping to pick up bloodborne if it goes on sale

It went up the day before yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

RedXIV wrote: »
    Trophies will be my excuse for buying this.... Again

I guarantee one of the trophies will be "defeat ruby and emerald".... If that's the case there will be very few platinums..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

I feel like I'm alone, but I mostly find trophies pointless. For me it definitely wouldn't be a deciding factor.

I find people either love them or couldn't care less. I've personally always loved playing games until I've done absolutely everything I can possibly do in them and trophies just feed that addiction :P However I achieved 100 % in all the GTA games back in the day so I'm not sure if I'll bother again too soon especially at 15 euro each

New 12 Days up and it's WWE 2K16. But seems super expensive still @ over €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

New 12 Days up and it's WWE 2K16. But seems super expensive still @ over €40.

Very meh for me, 41 euros isnt really a deal, maybe at 25 euros I would have :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

played a bit of uncharted 4 MP, was very good , got my ass handed to me but was still a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gimli2112 wrote: »
    played a bit of uncharted 4 MP, was very good , got my ass handed to me but was still a lot of fun.

Be better if people revived each other, was using the the revive grenades a lot.

The moba esque levelling with the abilities is good.

• Advertisement

• PS2 games are now live on PSN. Gotta say.. is €14.99 for the earlier GTAs seems far too steep a price to pay for games that were out over a decade ago, improved graphics or not.

Sales talk. Sony are in a position where they can stuff the consumer IMO due to massive console sales.

It's a rip-off plain and simple.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Sales talk. Sony are in a position where they can stuff the consumer IMO due to massive console sales.

It's a rip-off plain and simple.

Open to correction, but I would have thought Rockstar/SE et al would set the price point for their games.

How is it a rip-off?
    If you're happy to pay that price, go for it.

Nobody is being forced to buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

PS2 games on PSN are priced stupidly. It'd probably work out cheaper to actually buy a PS2 and physical disks in the long run :/
    PSN, since I've used PlayStation, has always seemed overpriced to me. At no point should a digital download cost as much, or more then a physical disk.

Out of interest, how many people would have no problem switching to Xbox One over PS4? I know I would, given a choice now. The E3 launch sucked me in, but everything has always sounded much better then it actually is/was.
    Remote play sounded and looked great. The end product turned out to be terrible.
    Even communities. Why bother if we can't search a keyword to find a group?

Given the chance, I'd probably drop Sony as a brand. Bought the Z3 a while back, as it was waterproof. A month or so after purchase, they no longer say its waterproof :@ Also had hassle with a Sony TV I bought during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have both consoles and use the PS4 for 90% of my console gaming. I did 90% of my gaming on 360 last generation. I have no problem with price its the overall package I go for but I always keep my options open. Digital games on XBL are the same prices as PSN. Digital is not competitive yet as it's a closed market base.

Digital copies of GTA 3, VC and SA are all €11-13 each on Steam right now so they are at the going rate as console games cost more than PC copies, always have always will.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Open to correction, but I would have thought Rockstar/SE et al would set the price point for their games.

How is it a rip-off?

It would be the publisher which is why these cost what they do and why MS can't have Red Dead on their BC for the ONE even though they've said all they need is a simple go ahead on Take Two side.

Same reason as why MS and Sony have their own games up on their stores for far cheaper than 3rd party; €60/$60 for a first party game and then 69.99/79.99 for the likes of EA or Ubi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Mister Man wrote: »
    PS2 games on PSN are priced stupidly. It'd probably work out cheaper to actually buy a PS2 and physical disks in the long run :/
    PSN, since I've used PlayStation, has always seemed overpriced to me. At no point should a digital download cost as much, or more then a physical disk.

Out of interest, how many people would have no problem switching to Xbox One over PS4? I know I would, given a choice now. The E3 launch sucked me in, but everything has always sounded much better then it actually is/was.
    Remote play sounded and looked great. The end product turned out to be terrible.

Given the chance, I'd probably drop Sony as a brand. Bought the Z3 a while back, as it was waterproof. A month or so after purchase, they no longer say its waterproof :@ Also had hassle with a Sony TV I bought during the year.

Don't say that! I've just bought myself a PS4 for Christmas!! :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Exclusives are much better to me at least on the ps4, one of the reasons I bought it was for uncharted 4 and the new ratchet and clank next year.

I agree the pricing on the psn is gouging at best but so are the prices in most local stores, even second hand prices are high with most games at the 40-50 mark.

Though to be honest, I didn't buy my ps4 for cheap games. I have my steam library of over 900 games for that I bought it for the dozen or so games I was interested in.

• F1ngers wrote: »

How is it a rip-off?

This as an excuse is very annoying.

Can you you honestly not see what Sony are trying to do?

Backwards compatibility has been introduced to the Xbox 1 and has been a success thus far for Microsoft so Sony are attempting same.

However Sony are in a position of power so charging the consumer a high price for ancient titles is now acceptable.

Backwards compatibility has been introduced to the Xbox 1 and has been a success thus far for Microsoft .

Not really, alot of games have performance issues with loading and poor frame rates. It's exactly like the BC they tried on the 360 for Xbox games.

For BC either do it right with a proper emulator or don't bother imo. Just keep the older console and play your old games. There are old PC games that won't work with new PC configs unless someone patches them, technology moves on.

That's why I still have a PS3, 360 and SNES still around when the need grabs me.

I have both consoles and use the PS4 for 90% of my console gaming. I did 90% of my gaming on 360 last generation. I have no problem with price its the overall package I go for but I always keep my options open. Digital games on XBL are the same prices as PSN. Digital is not competitive yet as it's a closed market base.

Digital copies of GTA 3, VC and SA are all €11-13 each on Steam right now so they are at the going rate as console games cost more than PC copies, always have always will.

You'd be surprised, all the Bioware games were discounted a while ago across everything and I noticed the DLC for the recent dragon age was €1 cheaper each when compared to EA's own store on PC (Origin).

Pricing is ridiculous at times, a 1st party game is up for €60 on each systems own store and then Gamestop have it at €75. You then have retailers like amazon/argos who set their own prices rather than allowing publishers to set them and taking a cut (30% for steam who knows for the rest), so you have the likes of amazon being able to charge close to cost and take a tiny margin.

Can't say who's to blame as there's plenty to go around, and while the publishers are setting the price it's the digital stores who are taking the ~30%.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

This as an excuse is very annoying.

Can you you honestly not see what Sony are trying to do?

I do.
    Letting publishers charge what they want to sell their PS2 games that work on a PS4.
    Backwards compatibility has been introduced to the Xbox 1 and has been a success thus far for Microsoft so Sony are attempting same.

However Sony are in a position of power so charging the consumer a high price for ancient titles is now acceptable.

Again, it's the publishers, not Sony.

How can you not see this?
    Or am I missing something?

F1ngers wrote: »
    I do.
    Letting publishers charge what they want to sell their PS2 games that work on a PS4.

Technically in the case of the 8 games, Sony and the publisher were one and the same for most of them. The rest were Take Two which really should show that the Xbox isn't getting any free BC off them, not unless MS pay for it in some deal.

Look at this the same as Cross-buy, some publishers are going to do it and we'll get ( less so going forward ) a PS3/PS4/Vita version of the game and for some publishers we'll have the same game up 3 times for the same price.

Don't say that! I've just bought myself a PS4 for Christmas!! :-/

You won't be disappointed, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I really think they didn't capitalize on the momentum built after that, second holiday season in a row that they haven't much of a first party line up. Not a lot that they showed at the press conference on Saturday was good especially VR which to me is a fad like motion controls and 3D before it.
    3rd party stuff is keeping me ticking over but are on PC/Xbox One too. Looking forward to stuff like Firewatch and Uncharted 4 but Sony have clearly rested on their laurels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ERG89 wrote: »
    I really think they didn't capitalize on the momentum built after that, second holiday season in a row that they haven't much of a first party line up. Not a lot that they showed at the press conference on Saturday was good especially VR which to me is a fad like motion controls and 3D before it.
    3rd party stuff is keeping me ticking over but are on PC/Xbox One too. Looking forward to stuff like Firewatch and Uncharted 4 but Sony have clearly rested on their laurels

Im not convinced VR is a fad tbh the technology suits the industry, its ideal.

The only game coming with VR functionality that I can see worth the feature is Ace Combat 7, that would sell the system to me if it anything like a virtual Track IR5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

listermint wrote: »
    Im not convinced VR is a fad tbh the technology suits the industry, its ideal.

Yet to see much to argue my point; what was shown on Saturday was quite bad tbh. Robot Golf, Crazy Tacky and Raz fidling around with a Headset isn't convincing. I won't even mention the stage demo
    Rez is good but I wouldn't pay X amount to play Rez tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

VR on console will never really be good enough tbh, the power is just not there. Looking at the demos that were at PSX showed that to me.

I have been using VR for a few years now with the rift and trust me, it is not nice with a low framerate and low field of view. The games shown at psx were all graphically inferior.

You need to reach 60 plus fps and the field of view has to be large otherwise you will feel sick.

• F1ngers wrote: »
    I do.

You only think its the publishers? Sony have nothing to do with the pricing?
    Please confirm this with evidence. If you do fair play

• Advertisement

You only think its the publishers? Sony have nothing to do with the pricing?
    Please confirm this with evidence. If you do fair play

Why is it then that Sony sell all their first party digital games for less than any third party publisher? It's easy to see what's going on. Activision and EA typically charge more than Ubi and other third parties too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement