Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You only think its the publishers? Sony have nothing to do with the pricing?
    Please confirm this with evidence. If you do fair play

But it's the publisher's game, they paid for the development of the game. Why would they let Sony dictate the price of their own games, makes no sense.

• Benzino wrote: »
    But it's the publisher's game, they paid for the development of the game. Why would they let Sony dictate the price of their own games, makes no sense.

To be fair Benzi who can prove this?
    So Sony make absolutely no profit on selling the title in the PSN store?
    They don't actively engage with the publisher to see if they can squeeze an extra few bucks out of it?
    I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

They don't actively engage with the publisher to see if they can squeeze an extra few bucks out of it?
    I highly doubt it.

Never any official word from Sony or anyone involve with selling on PSN but MS and Valve take a flat 30% from their respective marketplaces.

I highly doubt it.

Who can prove Sony are ripping people off? :P

Sony get a percentage off every game sold for a PS console, but there is no way they set the price of the game. The publisher funds the game, markets the game, why would they then just let Sony set the price? Makes no sense to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I highly doubt it.

I would imagine the publishers know what Sonys' cut is and factor this into the RRP.

I don't know Sonys' cut, but if Microsoft and Steam charge 30%(as stated above), it would be reasonable to assume Sony get something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony is definitely setting the price on the PS2 games. It's their emulator and it's their engineers adding in stuff like trophies and doing QA. Publishers are just submitting them to Sony who do the heavy lifting and set the price.

As someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game before, would FF VII be worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As someone who has never played a Final Fantasy game before, would FF VII be worth it?

Honestly, i think at this point, unless JRPG's are your thing, it wouldn't be a great one to start with. FFIX was more lighthearted and I found it much more accessible. I think you had to grow up with FF7 to really get it now (although as my better half did play and complete the game for the first time only 2 years ago, i may not be the best person to judge)

If you're looking at the ps4 version though, i'd recommend it far over the ps3 version, just for the speed increase (from PAL to NTSC)

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sony is definitely setting the price on the PS2 games. It's their emulator and it's their engineers adding in stuff like trophies and doing QA. Publishers are just submitting them to Sony who do the heavy lifting and set the price.

Exactly

To be honest if Microsoft were in the same position they would do the same but they are in the middle of trying to get the trust back from the consumer.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

So the publisher's don't make any money off it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely wouldn't recommend to start with 7. It's aged very badly, the battle system is simple and rather dull. It's not a bad game but I'd come back to it once you've played better games and have a better feel for JRPGs. As REDXIV said FF9 is a much better title but I'd actually recommend playing something outside the Final Fantasy series. Persona 3 and 4 and by far and away the best JRPGs (or some would even say RPGs) of the last decade and are a much better place to start.

As also mentioned don't go buying the PAL versions of these RPGs either, they are slowed down considerably, best to get them from the US store (FF7 on PS4 being the PC version doesn't have these issues thankfully).

Benzino wrote: »
    So the publisher's don't make any money off it?

... as a moderator here I can't even dignify this with a response :rolleyes:

Sony are in control. They say we'll release a game on PS4 and do the hard work if you submit the game to us. You'll get x amount of profit, if you don't like it then get lost/discuss it with us. I'd say the price set is the basic price but you might get more expensive games for premium titles, expect Squaresoft titles to be a bit more expensive.

What are the chances of Just Cause 3 being a 12 Days deal?

Probably not, but you can dream ...

So Digital Foundry had a look at the PS2 emulator, seems to be quite good other than frame pacing issues which will hopefully be patched out. Colour correction and transparency effects all look to be rendering properly and very accurately which is where other PS2 emulators totally fail.

... as a moderator here I can't even dignify this with a response :rolleyes:

Ha, not sure what you being a moderator as anything to do with it, but ok... :rolleyes:
    Sony are in control. They say we'll release a game on PS4 and do the hard work if you submit the game to us. You'll get x amount of profit, if you don't like it then get lost/discuss it with us. I'd say the price set is the basic price but you might get more expensive games for premium titles, expect Squaresoft titles to be a bit more expensive.

Right... so the publishers do get a say in the price, and if they don't like it then the game doesn't go ahead. So I'm not sure now you can say Sony are in control when the publishers can just say no. In fact, I'd find it hard to believe Sony have final say, no doubt it's the publisher who has final say. It's their IP, they have total control over it imo.

Unless of course you have something to back up your claim, then I'd happily concede.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm going to offer a different opinion than the other posters have given. FF7 on the PS2 was my first introduction to the FF series and to console RPG too. I loved it and played it to completion.

Look here's how it works.

All the original publisher does is submit the disc image to Sony for publication. Sony does all the hard work then coding the emulator to work with the title, adding in hooks for trophies and doing the QA work, all of which costs a lot of time and money. Sony have set the cost based on that labour and the percentage the publisher gets. They have set the base price. Now if there's extra involved in getting the game published, most likely licensing deals, like say for example Kingdom Hearts which would need license negotiations with Disney then Sony can look at raising the price but for basic engineering work to get the game working and published on PS4 then 15 euros is the price Sony are putting it up for to cover the basic cost, their own profit and original ip owners percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I've had FF7 on the PS1, 3 and Vita. So yes I would recommend.

Look here's how it works.

All the original publisher does is submit the disc image to Sony for publication. Sony does all the hard work then coding the emulator to work with the title, adding in hooks for trophies and doing the QA work, all of which costs a lot of time and money. Sony have set the cost based on that labour and the percentage the publisher gets. They have set the base price. Now if there's extra involved in getting the game published, most likely licensing deals, like say for example Kingdom Hearts which would need license negotiations with Disney then Sony can look at raising the price but for basic engineering work to get the game working and published on PS4 then 15 euros is the price Sony are putting it up for to cover the basic cost, their own profit and original ip owners percentage.

Is there something to back this up or just your opinion? I guess saying either Sony set the price or the publisher set the price is wrong. They both agree to it. Sony want x% for their work involved in it, while the publisher want y% for their ip. So they both gotta agree on a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I do not think 7 would be the best starting point, I would definitely go with 9 or 6 before 7 if it is your first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What are the chances of Just Cause 3 being a 12 Days deal?

Probably not, but you can dream ...

The Nathan Drake collection was there for half price, I wasn't expecting that after only being on retail for 6 weeks.

It might go up but only expect €10 off if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I'm afraid to read the thread.
    Are the PS2 re releases in 50hz ?
    I'll be really shocked if they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A little bit dated and may not apply to the PS2 remakes/remasters but an article on digital pricing on PSN:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-28-sony-explains-ps4-digital-game-pricing

Another one,a lot more recent. Interview with a Ubi employee about digital pricing:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-explains-why-digital-games-stay-more-expen/1100-6428760/

Seems a lot of it is to keep their retail partners happy,so its like everyone is on the gouging gag except for the customer. Only the aware consumer gets the games at reasonable prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

The old ps4 models imo are noisy and argh to think straight with the fan noise. The new ps4 model is so quiet i absolutely love it...

Benzino wrote: »
    Is there something to back this up or just your opinion? I guess saying either Sony set the price or the publisher set the price is wrong. They both agree to it. Sony want x% for their work involved in it, while the publisher want y% for their ip. So they both gotta agree on a price.

It's just common sense and the way the publishing system has always worked on Sony systems, it was the same for PS1 and PS2 titles. On PS3 Sony set the price for game releases as well, there was a standard price but if a game had special requirements such as multiple discs or require additional licensing work on the part of the publisher, for instance the Megaman Legends games (or just the Square Enix 'tax') then the price could be raised. Sony have set a minimum price in this regard as well otherwise how come Sony published games aren't cheaper than games from outside publishers? They have set a pricing model to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The old ps4 models imo are noisy and argh to think straight with the fan noise. The new ps4 model is so quiet i absolutely love it...

Mine was noisy as shit when it was vertical, since i put it horizontally it's been much quieter. I have the old model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Is Red Dead Redemption going up on PS4? I've never played it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's just common sense and the way the publishing system has always worked on Sony systems, it was the same for PS1 and PS2 titles. On PS3 Sony set the price for game releases as well, there was a standard price but if a game had special requirements such as multiple discs or require additional licensing work on the part of the publisher, for instance the Megaman Legends games (or just the Square Enix 'tax') then the price could be raised. Sony have set a minimum price in this regard as well otherwise how come Sony published games aren't cheaper than games from outside publishers? They have set a pricing model to follow.

They are cheaper so your point?

Sony published games 60

EA/SE/ect starting at 70

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is Red Dead Redemption going up on PS4? I've never played it.

Nothing has been mentioned, it is not offered as a PS Now game either yet, actually no Rockstar games are on it yet.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    They are cheaper so your point?

Sony published games 60

EA/SE/ect starting at 70

I was talking about PS2 games.

I see some of them are cheaper, two of them at 10 euro. I'd say that might be down to the bandwidth since the more expensive games are much larger in size.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement