Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Deal #5 of 12 Deals of Christmas

PES 2016 for €29

Very good price for an excellent game

I see there's a free version of that on the PSN store as well if anyone wants to try before buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I see there's a free version of that on the PSN store as well if anyone wants to try before buying.

I had it downloading last night. Wasn't really bothered buying the full game yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I had it downloading last night. Wasn't really bothered buying the full game yet.

I haven't played a game in that series since ISS so might give the free go a blast at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Guns Up, F2P pvp strategy / tower game on the store now. Looks disposable fun but I suspect a heavy amount of pay-to-win.

Downloading it Guns Up. They have an add-on for €34.99. Methinks you're right about heavy reliance on pay-to-win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Decided to say balls to Sonys 12 day sale and pick up the only game i want,Bloodborne,from adverts. Collecting tonight after work.

€30,pretty happy with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

EoinHef wrote: »
    Decided to say balls to Sonys 12 day sale and pick up the only game i want,Bloodborne,from adverts. Collecting tonight after work.

€30,pretty happy with that

It was on sale recently on PSN for that price, that's when I bought it, still haven't started it yet due to a massive backlog of games to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I must have missed it at that price,cause i would have bought it for that.

Im pretty much free of backlog on PS4 atm,playing some Warframe and BLOPs zombies but thats about it.

Only game i kinda have on the backlog list now is dragon age: inquisition. Which after about 10hrs didnt grab me at all so not sure ill ever get round to it. I tend to rack up most backlog on PC,as thats where i do most of my SP games. I tend to get round to finishing most games i buy on the PS4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What game is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Kinda looks like gravity rush?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Network speeds on PSN definitely seem to have improved. I set my PS4 up last night to download Pro Evo overnight but it downloaded the whole thing in less than 20 minutes. 20GB+ file.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wow that looks pretty as hell. What's the story with it? Will it be available in the West? When is it expected to be released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

It probably won't be released until 2017 as its currently 40% complete.

The first one was a Vita classic, and it was just remastered for the PS4. Its out now in Asia, don't know when its coming to Europe.

Just a note on Guns Up, which was mentioned previously -- it's a bit.. meh. Admittedly I didn't plat a huge amount of it, but it didn't feel like there was much there. Feels like a Tower Defense game meets Hearthstone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Highly recommend Nuclear Throne, delightfully twitchy shooter / dungeon crawler from the superb Vlambeer (Ridiculous Fishing, Luftrausers). Yet another rogue like, but yet another example of the sort of depths and ingenuity that can be present within the 'genre'. This benefits from being significantly faster paced than most of its peers: runs are speedy, focused and intense. Surprising amount of variety in the weapon and character selection.

A very welcome way to spend your time and money as you wait for the masterpiece that is Crypt of the Necrodancer to be released on PS4 next year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Picked up the final fantasy 10/10-2 hd remake on amazon for £21.50. (About 30 euro) Happy with that purchase, looking forward to some nostalgia :)

Need for Speed is the new 12 Days sale. Another slightly more expensive game @ €40.

There also seems to be a Buy One, Get One Free sale on as well.
    Every game is €49.99 (even Watch_Dogs..), so it pretty much is 2 games for €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Need for Speed is the new 12 Days sale. Another slightly more expensive game @ €40.

There also seems to be a Buy One, Get One Free sale on as well.
    Every game is €49.99 (even Watch_Dogs..), so it pretty much is 2 games for €50.

The buy one get one free is nonsense, they just upped the price of all the games, really dick move tbh

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    The buy one get one free is nonsense, they just upped the price of all the games, really dick move tbh

Especially considering that I picked up Watch Dogs for around €15 in their Black Friday sale. Very dick move on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Especially considering that I picked up Watch Dogs for around €15 in their Black Friday sale. Very dick move on their part.

That's the important part, it was on sale. Most of the game on this thing have been in and out of sales for the last 4 months with some of them constantly reduced since the Halloween sales.

Nothing was permanently reduced and then had it's price just raised for this sale, they were all temporary sales that ended and the new sale price isn't as good.

While I can understand that, it just seems ludicrous considering that you can buy, say, Watch Dogs, for €20 in a bricks and mortar shop, but they're charging €50. How much does that particular game cost usually? To me, the whole purpose behind going digital is that it's cheaper than a physical copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Disc copies get discounted because stores have a physical inventory to get rid of. And if they aren't selling well they have to get rid of them somehow. DL games, there is just one copy stored on servers, They don't need to discount them because they have no inventory. If a game doesn't sell, just remove it from the store. There is no revenue loss, because they didn't have to buy X_____ copies to begin with.

morritty wrote: »
    Disc copies get discounted because stores have a physical inventory to get rid of. And if they aren't selling well they have to get rid of them somehow. DL games, there is just one copy stored on servers, They don't need to discount them because they have no inventory. If a game doesn't sell, just remove it from the store. There is no revenue loss, because they didn't have to buy X_____ copies to begin with.

physical inventory and limited shelfspace

To me, the whole purpose behind going digital is that it's cheaper than a physical copy.

That's an entirely different argument though.

When it comes to consoles I really prefer having the physical media. Often they can be found at a much lower price than it's digital counterpart and I can trade it in or sell it on when I am done if the game does not have replayability. I bought Infamous second son this week and completed it twice. That's it for that game, I am done. If it was a digital version it would lay there forever as bits, however since I have the physical media I can now get some of my money back.

Only when the price of the digital counterpart makes it worth my while will I go for it. This is how PC is, about 95% of the time digital is much much cheaper and I have built up a library of 900 games strong across steam / origin / etc.

I think most people would be similar. Really digital should be much cheaper than it is because of the lower costs and the lack of trade-in value but they've made a decision not to compete with bricks & mortar stores for now. That said there are times when the price becomes worthwhile and this two for €50 deal doesn't strike me as one to be getting up in arms about.

Disagree about that digital should mean lower prices compared to physical, thing to remember is that shops are buying at a set price (dependant on source and order size) and reselling while most online stores are only a platform for the publisher or dev to sell on; Itunes, google play, Steam, PSN, live.

Usually it's the shops or distributors further down the supply chain who are cutting their margins or cutting the loss so as to clear stock.

PC is fully out of the B&M's control but day one Steam/Origin/Uplay will be selling the games at a high price, it'll be no different with console.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Disagree about that digital should mean lower prices compared to physical, thing to remember is that shops are buying at a set price (dependant on source and order size) and reselling while most online stores are only a platform for the publisher or dev to sell on; Itunes, google play, Steam, PSN, live.

Usually it's the shops or distributors further down the supply chain who are cutting their margins or cutting the loss so as to clear stock.

PC is fully out of the B&M's control but day one Steam/Origin/Uplay will be selling the games at a high price, it'll be no different with console.

Sure, it is their store and they can charge what they like but then I will go physical for the fact I can get some of my money back when I am done and it is usually cheaper anyway due to various reasons.

The digital stores most of the time are definitely price gouging, this latest buy one get one free sale is proof of that (A lot of the games were raised in price right before the sale, check psprices.com if you need to see for yourself)

I like to think that I am a good example of a digital content consumer. I have over 900 games digitally on PC so can give good opinion on the matter. Sure AAA games are expensive day one on PC too but it does not take long for them to be reduced on the prime platforms such as steam and origin and almost all the time you can get AAA games at huge discount at other shops online such as green man gaming right away at launch. Meanwhile, ps4 games stay at the 60-70 price for what seems like forever rarely getting permanent price drops.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement