Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PS4 Megathread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

PaRappa the Rapper 2 is coming to the PS4 on the 15th as a PS2 Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

When you have enough disks destroyed or lost because of kids not looking after them, leaving them lying around the place to get scratched, you start to look at the longevity of digital copies in a whole new light.

The value of a trade in sounds good in principle but after a couple of months of release a games resale value becomes so little you wonder if it is even worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

When you have enough disks destroyed or lost because of kids not looking after them, leaving them lying around the place to get scratched, you start to look at the longevity of digital copies in a whole new light.

The value of a trade in sounds good in principle but after a couple of months of release a games resale value becomes so little you wonder if it is even worth it.

Sure, that is a problem and I understand digital might be better in that case. Blu rays though are very resistant to damage compared to say cds or dvds. But when it becomes so much cheaper that the risk vs reward skews way more into the reward category you have to think what the hell Sony and Msoft (And the publishers) are thinking. If one game out of ten is lost / broken then I would give an educated guess that you would still save money by going physical.

As for trade in value, since CEX opened here a few years ago I seem to get really good value for my games. Where gamestop would have given a euro or two for a game (On ps3) I have getting about a tenner for the same game in CEX or even more if I take the time to sell them on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally decided to get a PS4 today. Won't be setting it up until next week though.
    Does it come with a Plus sub and does it stack on an existing sub, or is it one of those subs where it only works if you're new to it?

Controller was lucky though. From the way it was packed, it nearly fell out of the box when I opened it.

Do you already have a PSN sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Finally decided to get a PS4 today. Won't be setting it up until next week though.
    Does it come with a Plus sub and does it stack on an existing sub, or is it one of those subs where it only works if you're new to it?

Controller was lucky though. From the way it was packed, it nearly fell out of the box when I opened it.

If you already have a PS+ sub then no it won't stack. The free PS+ trial is for new customers only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks. Was mainly asking for guy at work who didn't realise you need PS+ when he bought it for his kids for Christmas. I'm subbed until 2017. :)

I got the 500GB Battlefront model. Thinking will swap the drive with the PS3 as I've a 1TB in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got the 2tb drive in Argos, it's the newer one so not what's pictured but still fine.

Varik wrote: »
    Got the 2tb drive in Argos, it's the newer one so not what's pictured but still fine.

I got that one too. It was a right bastard to open.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I got that one too. It was a right bastard to open.

Not got that far yet, just making sure that every save is uploaded to the clour (forgot we got a upgrade to 10GB)

So just copying saves with my new FF7 theme playing Aerith's Theme in the background and the FF sounds on the menus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Varik wrote: »
    just making sure that every save is uploaded to the clour (forgot we got a upgrade to 10GB)

My saves still won't upload, keep getting error messages. I thought is was the 1GB limit but even with the 10GB upgrade it's still the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭Evade

My saves still won't upload, keep getting error messages. I thought is was the 1GB limit but even with the 10GB upgrade it's still the same.
    That was happening to me for a while, I had to delete all the upload notifications to sort it out.

Yea, notifications are usually the cause of uploads failing. I noticed that when I was trying to upload a clip to YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'll tell you what really pisses me off with my PS4... If I buy a game digitally, I cab just launch and pkay it from 'home', but if I have s game I purchased physically, I have to insert a disc.

It makes digital games way more handy in terms of ease of use but I like to have the physical copies of good (or memorable) games.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'll tell you what really pisses me off with my PS4... If I buy a game digitally, I cab just launch and pkay it from 'home', but if I have s game I purchased physically, I have to insert a disc.

It makes digital games way more handy in terms of ease of use but I like to have the physical copies of good (or memorable) games.

If you didn't need the disc then the one disc could be installed on thousands of PS4's. It in understandable why they insist on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

lertsnim wrote: »
    If you didn't need the disc then the one disc could be installed on thousands of PS4's. It in understandable why they insist on it.

Im sure they could encode some sort of securit device betweeb the disk and the console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Im sure they could encode some sort of securit device betweeb the disk and the console.

They can but it's what Microsoft planned for the Xbox One and people complained they then couldn't share discs between friends or resell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mlb10theshow

Does anyone knows if PS4 white console currently sold from argos new version ? I mean CUH 1200 version ?

So 6 hours to back up my PS4.

8 hours and counting to copy the back up off the new 2TB drive and onto the recently removed 1TB drive, at which point I'll put the 2TB drive in the PS4 and restore from the 1TB which I'm guessing will take whatever remains of today.

Would have been better if I just left it as is, and swapped out the drives Sunday to let everything re-download over the week while I'm away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys,
    Probably picking up a ps4 next Monday. Stars wars battle front, fifa would be the games of interest. Ps3 already in the house.. What's the best value package to go for?
    Cheers
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Hi guys,
    Probably picking up a ps4 next Monday. Stars wars battle front, fifa would be the games of interest. Ps3 already in the house.. What's the best value package to go for?
    Cheers
    Mick

You could get the PS4 500gb Star Wars Battlefront Bundle in Argos for 359.99 and you get a game free as well, so you could get Fifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Just moved the PS4 into a different room with no home plugs. Any reason why I'm getting speeds like 235kbps over Wifi?
    It's only 15 feet to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

The answer is probably here somewhere. I'm looking for suggestion as to what headset to buy for xmas for 15 year old for his PS4. something cheap but works as it's an extra surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

tina1040 wrote: »
    The answer is probably here somewhere. I'm looking for suggestion as to what headset to buy for xmas for 15 year old for his PS4. something cheap but works as it's an extra surprise.

anything from turtle beach will be fine really lots of options under 50, for a little more there are very good reports about the sony wireless set, few linked below but search threads there are a few with headsets discussed
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=SONY+WIRELESS+STEREO+HEADSET+2.0&authToken=

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1701645/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780877%7CHeadsets%7C28081695.htm
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4555647/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780877%7CHeadsets%7C28081695.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

tina1040 wrote: »

Here. Probably the best headset for €20
    http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-tablets/xbox-360/c-720/xbox-360-accessories/p-9019/turtle-beach-disney-infinity-2-0-marvel-superheroes-headset/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    They can but it's what Microsoft planned for the Xbox One and people complained they then couldn't share discs between friends or resell them.
    Aye.

It's a pain in the arse though; when I'm playing remote play on my Vita and I wasn't to play a different game, I have to walk into the other room and actually change the disk in the PS4, it's tough like...

#FirstWorldProblems :)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate is the current 12 Days sale. €44/€54 for standard/gold. And a season pass for €20.

Is it just me or have none of these deals been particularly great?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Mr. Motley

Good morning Chaps.

I've a 6 year old who likes a bit of PS4 gaming with his Dad and am hoping to get him a game for Christmas.

So far this year we've done LBP3, Rayman and Knack.

Does anyone know a good game to pick up for Christmas? Would need to be a 2-player and preferably some type of platformer.

Would any of the indie games in the PS store be worth getting?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What about one of the Lego games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

If you got Rocket League when it was on PS+ you can play it split screen with 2 or 4 players.
    Also my seven year old loves Lego Batman 3 (actually so do I :D), in fact I think all the Lego games have local mp and most of them are really fun games.
    Towerfall is great.
    And my two love some Spelunky mayhem, not my favourite but that might be because half the time I'm trying to decipher what the hell is going on. It also has cross-platform play with the Vita.

Edit: just happened to catch the Spelunky video on its PSN page. Ignore it. It looks (and is) like a "standard" platformer there, but in local MP it's a mad single screen arena type affair with bombs and traps and mad stuff. Reminded me a bit of the way a round of Bomberman used to play out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement