Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lag or pause between actions.

Options
  • 02-03-2015 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi everyone. I am having a problem that I cannot solve or work out the cause at the moment so hoping someone has a good suggestion. When using my laptop on the internet (not sure about in programs) it seems to pause for maybe 5 to 8 second between actions, nothing works at all and this includes when typing a word it will stop mid word and the resume. I installed adware and cclean and so on in case it was a virus issue. This has not solved it. Now the real puzzle is my partner is getting the same problem on her laptop but to make it more interesting its happening on my spare as well. Not sure what further information is needed on here but will answer questions. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi everyone. I am having a problem that I cannot solve or work out the cause at the moment so hoping someone has a good suggestion. When using my laptop on the internet (not sure about in programs) it seems to pause for maybe 5 to 8 second between actions, nothing works at all and this includes when typing a word it will stop mid word and the resume. I installed adware and cclean and so on in case it was a virus issue. This has not solved it. Now the real puzzle is my partner is getting the same problem on her laptop but to make it more interesting its happening on my spare as well. Not sure what further information is needed on here but will answer questions. Cheers.

Is this all through WiFi? If so try resetting your router or connecting with a cable to see if problem persists

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What browser are you using?

And what anti-virus are you running? Adware isn't it....

What operating system are you running (Windows 7? Windows 8?). It sounds like it could be another program that is hogging the system and causing a slowdown which is manifesting itself as these symptoms. The anti-virus might be running a scan at this time which is causing this for example.

For the moment I'm going to ignore the issues with all the other machines, as I just can't think of a common denominator that would cause this issue on all machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bluealligator

Hi. Answers to questions first. Its WiFi but I am almost next to modem. Windows 7, Windows 10 and Vista are the 3 machines. On the machine used most its Win 7 and Anti virus is AVG plus use Spybot on a regular basis, all are setup so that scans are on demand rather than automatic. Browsers used on it are Chrome or I switch to IE 11 but both have this lag. I have looked at startup and disabled the items I recognise but there are many that you don't really know if to touch or not.

Oh just to expand on that I have gone in and deleted every program I did not use or recognise just in case a rogue had got thru. I also run CCleaner regular as well.

Has filterkeys been enabled? Worth checking...

EDIT: You need to open up notepad and see if the issue is present there too, or any other non internet based application.

Does it happen when you type posts on boards.ie? Or is it only from google.ie? What plugins are enabled in your browsers? Java or similar could being doing strange things to all browsers...perhaps uninstall completely and reinstall with the latest?

• Advertisement

Thats not a bad idea Alanstrainor, I think I will try that, I was watching while I typed on here and there seems to be no problem but if I type on say the mailonline or fb or similar there is so it might be Java, will try it and come back. Cheers.

Thats not a bad idea Alanstrainor, I think I will try that, I was watching while I typed on here and there seems to be no problem but if I type on say the mailonline or fb or similar there is so it might be Java, will try it and come back. Cheers.

Report back to us, you have me intrigued!

Well tried that and installed Java 8 but no difference, dunno about intrigued Alan its bloody frustrating haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

What is the power like on your batteries?
    Try working the laptop without the battery and see if the issue persists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

I experienced that same issue with Chrome but went away after running Ccleaner to delete all temp internet and other files. I see in the original post that you have installed Ccleaner. Maybe just double check that the tick box for temp files is selected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 egphy7dsm93tk5

Try deleting the browser data in ccleaner(i.e temp browser files, cookies etc), If its just chrome try the old fashioned way and re-install.Try fixing the registry files in ccleaner too. There's a handy programs called HBCD(Hirens boot CD) You can mount it to a USB and it literally has every program you could possibly need for diagnosing. Keep updating tho! I am also interested!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Also try updating your video card drivers :)

Nick

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions there, just to answer a few, I run CCleaner about every two weeks, the only thing that it does not do is wipe free space because it takes so long. Battery power is fine and it runs very happy for 3 hours at least with no battery but still has these issues. Sitting down last night I was scratching the bonce and asking the cat for advice when I decided to really go for it.
    First I removed every program that was redundant, emptied the downloads folder then ran spybot, followed by CCleaner then just for the heck of it I ran disc cleanup for the 'c' drive. Today there is a marked improvement, the issue is still there but so much improved so i am thinking of Ghosting the disc then reformatting and seeing what happens.

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions there, just to answer a few, I run CCleaner about every two weeks, the only thing that it does not do is wipe free space because it takes so long. Battery power is fine and it runs very happy for 3 hours at least with no battery but still has these issues. Sitting down last night I was scratching the bonce and asking the cat for advice when I decided to really go for it.
    First I removed every program that was redundant, emptied the downloads folder then ran spybot, followed by CCleaner then just for the heck of it I ran disc cleanup for the 'c' drive. Today there is a marked improvement, the issue is still there but so much improved so i am thinking of Ghosting the disc then reformatting and seeing what happens.

Surely imaging the disk, and re-imaging is going to carry across the same troubles that are already there?

How much RAM does the system have, how much hard disk space is free? This is sounding more and more like a performance issue to be honest.

Can you take a screen capture of the startup processes for us to look/advise?

Hi Alan I am looking at imaging the disc so I dont lose everything but then reformatting and loading the o/s only and build up like that, I am becoming more and more convinced that it is something to do with either something downloaded or an issue with Chrome. I also do not see how this is just a performance issue as the other two laptops with the same issues are all different, they are different ages old and all run different programs yet have the same issue. Just to give an idea One is a Toshiba and is a month old, the other is a Sony Vao and is 3 years old and this one is a HP advent and is 2 years old. I dont have any slowing or lagging issues when accessing boards for example or many other sites yet do if accessing FB or Daily Mail or some other news outlets. It is quite intriguing to say the least.

Hi Alan I am looking at imaging the disc so I dont lose everything but then reformatting and loading the o/s only and build up like that, I am becoming more and more convinced that it is something to do with either something downloaded or an issue with Chrome. I also do not see how this is just a performance issue as the other two laptops with the same issues are all different, they are different ages old and all run different programs yet have the same issue. Just to give an idea One is a Toshiba and is a month old, the other is a Sony Vao and is 3 years old and this one is a HP advent and is 2 years old. I dont have any slowing or lagging issues when accessing boards for example or many other sites yet do if accessing FB or Daily Mail or some other news outlets. It is quite intriguing to say the least.

You mentioned previously that this issue was noticeable on IE as well as Chrome?

Uninstall chrome, and reinstall. I had some terrible trouble with chrome in the last 6 months, where tabs would crash. I wasn't actually able to fix it, despite uninstalliing, and reinstalling and removing addons/cache etc etc. I wasn't prepared to reinstall the OS to fix the issue.

Advertisement