Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Months Mind mass

• 02-03-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I rang the church where Dads funeral was to book months mind, but there were 2 names on the mass already (not sure if they are months mind or anniversary) its not the exact month but its the nearest Saturday evening mass. Is it normal to have two other names on the mass? What are peoples experiences with months mind?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes OP my mams is this week and there is someone else on the list as well. I dont know if its months mind or anniversary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Unfortunately, due to the shortage of priests, the booking of Masses is getting more and more difficult. it is not at all unusual for up to three people to be remembered especially at the one Mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know where I come from the months mine mass/ annervirsery mass might be for Mr X but Mr Y, Ms C and Mr K would also be prayed for because there annervirsery accor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 culabula99

Yes, it is dad's months mind and there are two anniversaries also. Asked about getting separate mass said but got impression that it wasn't an option, that's understandable. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Yes, it seems to be becoming the usual practice to have combined masses.
    In some cases because there are priests running two parishes, or a priest is moved, and not replaced etc.

Hope you are doing okay cula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

It's always been common practice to have more than one name on the months mind mass where I am from, not just in recent years. Small village environment, may very well lose a few elderly residents in the same week due to illness or old age combined with a bad winter. One month later, and their Months Mind may very well be on the same day. I never saw a problem with it myself - the priest would announce the names from the altar of those being remembered, and each would pray for their own, or quite often for all parties being remembered, chances being you knew all of them in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I'm not a regular mass goer, but as a kid, i do remember, in our home parish, that there would have been separate masses for months mind, anniversaries etc.
    I notice now, if attending family anniversaries etc, in more recent years, there are usually a number of names included. I don't see a problem with it either, tbh.

Advertisement