Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playschool or montessori

Options
  • 02-03-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Could I get some advice please..my LB will be 3 in march. I am wondering what would be the best option for him playschool or montessori. I was thinking of sending him for a yr to playschool and 1 to montessori, before he starts school! Or should I just stick with one??
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would send him to play school this year and Montessori next.
    Do you know the differences?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭crunchie1

Hi,
    sorry for being so late getting back to you- bit of a hectic week. Thanks for your reply, I don't really know the difference-trying to research it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'd recommend a year in playschool followed by a year in montessori, that's what I did with mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I prefer the Montessori method and I'll be sending mine for two years prior to primary. I wouldn't want to switch schools after a year. That said I'd take an excellent play school over a non Montessori calling itself a Montessori which is really common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I agree that it would depend on the actual school itself as Lazygal says.
    I also don't think Id be moving schools after a year and then another move to primary school the next year. I think you'd be better to let him settle in to one place for the two years. With my girl we did a part time year (every second day) for her first year and full time for the second year. It was great for her going back the second year knowing all the teachers, how things worked, rules and other children. She'll hate leaving for 'real' school in June :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

lazygal wrote: »
    I prefer the Montessori method and I'll be sending mine for two years prior to primary. I wouldn't want to switch schools after a year. That said I'd take an excellent play school over a non Montessori calling itself a Montessori which is really common.

It's amazing to me that this still goes on. Random creches calling one of the rooms the Montessori room, for absolutely no reason.

If 2 years in a Montessori is an option, I'd take it. You won't regret it. My daughter did two years as we got cold feet about her starting school at 4 and a quarter. It was the best decision we ever made to take that second year.

I agree that reputation counts, and if you hear excellent feedback about a local play-school and not so much about the Montessori, then go with your instinct. The Montessori method is excellent though.

I heard someone say their children went to pre Montessori for the first year and Montessori for the second. It's so frustrating that services can use terms like Montessori so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

te="lazygal;94607540"]I heard someone say their children went to pre Montessori for the first year and Montessori for the second. It's so frustrating that services can use terms like Montessori so easily.[/quote]

Is there no such thing as pre Montessori? Thats the term the school that will be taking my son (2.5) in September is using. He will be doing for 2 years. Its a large well known school (junior and senior school).

te="lazygal;94607540"]I heard someone say their children went to pre Montessori for the first year and Montessori for the second. It's so frustrating that services can use terms like Montessori so easily.

Is there no such thing as pre Montessori? Thats the term the school that will be taking my son (2.5) in September is using. He will be doing for 2 years. Its a large well known school (junior and senior school).[/quote]

Nah Montessori is Montessori. It's done in three year age cycles as per the Montessori method, but pre Montessori is a made up term. I know loads of services like to dress up their playschools as Montessori but there's no such thing as a pre Montessori method.

lazygal wrote: »
    Is there no such thing as pre Montessori? Thats the term the school that will be taking my son (2.5) in September is using. He will be doing for 2 years. Its a large well known school (junior and senior school).

Nah Montessori is Montessori. It's done in three year age cycles as per the Montessori method, but pre Montessori is a made up term. I know loads of services like to dress up their playschools as Montessori but there's no such thing as a pre Montessori method.[/quote]

What do you mean by three year age cycles? My guy is starting in sept at 2 yr 10th. So this problem isn't Montessori then? I'm pretty sure he's going to be in the same class as the 3 year old.... gosh I've no idea about this stuff....

• Advertisement

Montessori method has children in the same class for 3-6, 6-9 years etc. But there is no pre Montessori, it's a made up term used by services who get away with it. My child is starting Montessori this month one day a week, then she'll do two full years of Montessori in a class with children aged 3-5 years. The Irish system means two years of preschool Montessori is the norm, but the description of a service as pre Montessori is annoying because there is no such thing when you do your Montessori training as pre Montessori. I think services use it because it impresses parents, not because they have some special "pre" Montessori method they've developed.

Ah ok I think I understand. I actually think this is proper Montessori for 2 years and not playschool and then 1 year Montessori. It's all very structured I think. I just hope he's not too young for it at 2 yr 10m. Thats my main concern. I cant see him sitting down for 5 minutes. Hopefully over the next 6 months he will "mature" (for want of a better word) a bit. will be there for 2 years until he starts primary school.

Socialization is the main reason I'll be sending ourselves to Montessori. I'm not bothered about the academic side of things which you often hear parents boasting about. Children learn.those social skills through their interactions with others in the classroom.

Ok thanks for that. That's the main reason we are sending himself as he has been at home since he was born. I just hope he won't he too overwhelmed as it's 5 days per week. I'm just not sure how he will find the whole structured environment. Thanks for your help :).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

We had to move my son to a different Montessori in September when his first one closed. He learned way more in his first year (aged 3) than has been taught him this year. While he's happy in the new place, it doesn't hold a candle to his previous school.

Wouldn't be so bad if last year wasn't free, and this year costing 4K.

OP, I don't think kids need two years of Montessori (or even one!), but unless there's a compelling reason to not send him (e.g. fees) then no harm. Also think carefully about what year you'll use the ECCE scheme depending on any fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I think it's great for them to get used to being in a class of other children, getting on with them, getting used to a 'schedule', wearing a uniform (just a tracksuit) etc. as someone else said I'm not too fussed on the actual learning-they'll do enough of that in school! My husband is a primary teacher and actually thinks my daughter might be learning a bit too much at Montessori and that a lot of what she's learning could wait until next year in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We sent our son to montessori for 2 years from when he was 3. We paid the first year which was €65 a week.
    It was the best money ever spent. He thrived on it and they have a 2 year program so as to build on the initial year while still allowing kids to just do the free year.

He came home last week naming off all the planets having learnt about space and the moon last year.

Advertisement