Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Seeking Residency/Citizenship!

Options
  • 02-03-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello! I'm a young American writer, with Irish roots. My father has a family home and business here, but no citizenship. Because my great-grandmother was Irish, I can't obtain citizenship via heritage.
    Also, because I've always flown in through Belfast, and have never registered with my local Gardaí station, there is no legal record of my history here, apart from some Irish bank accounts my father opened for me as a child.

I'd like to work and live here, and am considering marrying my Irish partner as a last resort. However, I've scouted the Department of Justice, Enterprise, and Innovation, the Irish Naturalization and Immigration Service, and Citizens Information for some pointers… I'm now desperately looking for LOOPHOLES! I'd really appreciate any help!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Don't think you qualify for citizenship or residency unfortunately, but the only way to know for sure is to contact http://www.inis.gov.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

acfg wrote: »
    I'd like to work and live here, and am considering marrying my Irish partner as a last resort.

I hope you have a better proposal in mind than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There are no loopholes to citizenship.

If you don't qualify on family grounds, you have to be naturalized, in which case the Minister has absolute discretion, even when you meet the criteria.

^^People engaging in marriages of convenience, beware. Welfare, tax and residential records are examined in order to establish evidence of a durable relationship.

On the other hand if you and your partner in a genuine, committed relationship are going to marry anyway, but it's only a matter of time, then go for it. You still have time for a Summer wedding.

Just be mindful of Ireland's forbidding divorce laws. Marry in haste but divorce at leisure.

Reno, we ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Could your fathers Business not sponsor you as a employee? I know he needs to show you have a skill that an EU citizen cant do.

You could also get a student visa if you do an approved course here

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Naturalising as an American citizen in Ireland is a very difficult and long process, even if married to Irish citizen. There aren't any loopholes unfortunately, do some good research and find out what all your options are. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement