Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

order of split

Options
  • 02-03-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

here is my 4 day split

chest + biceps
    legs + triceps
    shoulders + traps
    back

i have been doing this split a while now and enjoy it but what's the best order to do them in. i know to separate shoulders and chest by a good few days to help keep my shoulders from injury

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why biceps with chests? And triceps with legs? Doubles up a bit with other days (eg triceps hit to some degree on days 1, 2 & 3)
    Not saying this particular split its wrong or right btw. Just curious as to your logic behind groupings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'd move triceps to the shoulders session. It'd be better to see what the exercises are but as it stands, as Mellor pointed out, you're hitting triceps 3 of the 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    here is my 4 day split

chest + biceps
    legs + triceps
    shoulders + traps
    back

i have been doing this split a while now and enjoy it but what's the best order to do them in. i know to separate shoulders and chest by a good few days to help keep my shoulders from injury

Move triceps to shoulders and traps to back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Mellor wrote: »
    Why biceps with chests? And triceps with legs? Doubles up a bit with other days (eg triceps hit to some degree on days 1, 2 & 3)
    Not saying this particular split its wrong or right btw. Just curious as to your logic behind groupings.

my logic is biceps with chest because the triceps are getting hit with chest exercises so the biceps can take my work as there not used in chest exercises.

so triceps get worked twice in one week to some degree.

biceps get hit on back day so biceps get hit twice in one week.

my logic is probably totally wrong.

quick run down of my work out

chest + bicep

flat bench
    incline bench
    incline cable fly
    cable cross over
    alt bicep curl
    hammer curl
    ez bicep curl

back
    t-bar row
    one arm row
    straight arm pulldown
    pull up
    rack pulls

shoulders + traps
    standing o.h press
    side lateral
    upright row
    face pulls
    db shrug

legs + tricep
    bk squat
    leg press
    leg ext
    standing leg curl
    calf raises
    tricep push down
    tricep kickback

• Advertisement

my logic is biceps with chest because the triceps are getting hit with chest exercises so the biceps can take my work as there not used in chest exercises.

so triceps get worked twice in one week to some degree.

biceps get hit on back day so biceps get hit twice in one week.

my logic is probably totally wrong.
    You are also hitting triceps with overhead pressing. So they only get a complete break on back day.
    There's no problem hit triceps directly after a pressing movement. They'll be able to take it. But I do understand your logic, there's nothing wrong with it either. Chest&Bi's/Back&Tri's is common for the reasons you said. But in your case tri's are tacked on to legs.

So in order to give certain muscles more of a rest, I'd pair triceps with one of the pressing days. And biceps on back day (or the other pressing day).
    So something like

Chest&Triceps/Back&Biceps/Shoulders&Traps/Legs
    ~OR~
    Chest&Biceps/Back&Traps/Shoulders&Triceps/Legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

quick run down of my work out

chest + bicep

flat bench
    incline bench
    incline cable fly
    cable cross over
    alt bicep curl
    hammer curl
    ez bicep curl

back
    t-bar row
    one arm row
    straight arm pulldown
    pull up
    rack pulls

shoulders + traps
    standing o.h press
    side lateral
    upright row
    face pulls
    db shrug

legs + tricep
    bk squat
    leg press
    leg ext
    standing leg curl
    calf raises
    tricep push down
    tricep kickback

You obviously dont put an awful lot of effort into the compound barbell movements if you're able for all that carry on.

You are also hitting triceps with overhead pressing. So they only get a complete break on back day.
    There's no problem hit triceps directly after a pressing movement. They'll be able to take it. But I do understand your logic, there's nothing wrong with it either. Chest&Bi's/Back&Tri's is common for the reasons you said. But in your case tri's are tacked on to legs.

So in order to give certain muscles more of a rest, I'd pair triceps with one of the pressing days. And biceps on back day (or the other pressing day).
    So something like

Chest&Triceps/Back&Biceps/Shoulders&Traps/Legs
    ~OR~
    Chest&Biceps/Back&Traps/Shoulders&Triceps/Legs

will give this a go. would you do them in that order?

dor843088 wrote: »
    You obviously dont put an awful lot of effort into the compound barbell movements if you're able for all that carry on.

i would say my barbell figures arent to bad:cool:

will give this a go. would you do them in that order?

Yeah probably that order. Reason being to separate horizontal and vertical pressing and also keep squats and rack pulls/deadlifts*.

*I'm aware they aren't on your list. But I'd include them or rotate with rack pulls

• Advertisement

Yeah probably that order. Reason being to separate horizontal and vertical pressing and also keep squats and rack pulls/deadlifts*.

*I'm aware they aren't on your list. But I'd include them or rotate with rack pulls

i usually do deadlifts instead of rack pulls but i got stuck on 150kg and couldn't get the lock out at the top of the lift. so im doing rack pulls for 8-12 weeks to build up the top half of the deadlift and in theory should get me past my sticking point

Advertisement