Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's Magazines

• 02-03-2015 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Not talking about Nuts, Loaded or Playboy.

But mags that cover a range of topics. I just bought Esquire, some good articles, some not so good (personal view) but lots and lots of ads.

I'll pick up Tatler Man tomorrow, for 2.99 it's very good. Only comes out every quarter though.

But generally I think men aren't catered for in the magazine area unlike women. So do you have any recommendations for good, varied reading material?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would have thought that print magazines were on the way out except there seem to be quite a few in newsagents. I don't read any myself and the last ones I bought were New Scientist which weren't great.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

What's fhm like these days?bought it for years and used to think it was a decent read. Prefer a good book to a magazine these days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I used to have a subscription to The Economist which was mostly interesting. I found it easier to get through each week by podcast though.

Would occasionally pick up the HBR if I've a flight but it's at least 50% rehashed articles from previous issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Havnt bought a magazine in years. Until the advent of smart phones I used to religiously buy Bizarre Magazine (ceased publication just recently :( ) and Terrorizer (extreme metal magazine) every month but nowadays, the world is at your finger tips and for a fraction of the cost of a magazine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Used to read Mens Health when I was younger for workout tips etc. and in fairness they were helpful, barring the fact that you're paying €7/8 for a magazine that is literally half advertising. Aftershaves, Watches & Cars fired your direction every couple of pages - it's annoying.

Thesedays I find researching online is best, podcasts have provided me with the equivalent of informative, interest pieces that I'll then follow up on if I'm interested in learning more - it's a good way of learning I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

My regular monthly read is Wired. Originally a technology focus but now a much broader remit with a technology slant. Good variety of short articles, reviews and features. I have subscribed to the US version for several years on my iPad for about €20/year, can't speak for the quality of the UK version but would expect it to be similar.

Advertisement