Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Courses to qualify as a maths teacher?

• 02-03-2015 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I am based in the northwest, I am in my late 20's and going back to college doing the PME in post primary education through Hibernia college Dublin.
    I hope to be working part time.
    My subjects are business studies and cspe and although these subjects are my 'foot in the door' I am aware that there are a lot of business teachers floating around.
    To make myself more employable I am eager to get maths as a subject under my belt.
    Does anyone have any knowledge on routes or courses I could take to achieve this qualification that will be recognised by the teaching council.

If anybody can suggest some options I could do during or after my masters degree I would be grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

I think you have to add it to your degree, as in do an evening degree in Maths ....having said that most of our Science and Business teachers teach JC Maths- I know that Maths would have been part of their degree but I don't know if they are technically qualified to teach it (there is no such thing as 'qualified to teach a subject to just Junior Cert unless the subject only exists at JC) but despite that they get timetabled for it and with years of experience I'm sure they are fine to teach it but whether or not the Teaching Council deems them qualified without a Maths degree I'm not sure.
    In the current job market I doubt whether anything less than a degree would get you a job as a Maths teacher but you could be lucky and get your foot in the door at the right time....but jobs in any subject are very scarce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭poster2525

You'll find a lot of information on this subject if you take a look at the 'Distance, Online and Part-time Learning' forum in Edu. If you're employed as a Maths teacher, you can currently access free postgraduate training. From what I can tell, for everyone else, it seems you have to pay for part-time courses to get Teaching Council accreditation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You can do maths through Open University. It will be expensive. you can do it from home in your own time. There is a lengthy thread on it on here if you do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Even with the PME and subsequent maths degree the Teaching Council may in the near future start asking for modules in maths pedagogy (on top of the degree). This is to be a registered 'on-paper' maths teacher.

Of course I think it would be hard to ignore the maths degree if a principal needed a maths teacher. At the moment the 'needs of the school' over-ride the need to be registered as a maths teacher... although in a few years 'I've heard' (from course operators, and I think some teachers on this forum) that the dept. will only pay for the subject you are registered to teach in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think the pedagogy requirement is coming in 2017 from what I can remember.

Personally I think the DES would find it hard to stick to paying people just for the subject they are qualified in as ultimately principals decide who teaches what regardless of qualifications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think the pedagogy requirement is coming in 2017 from what I can remember.

Personally I think the DES would find it hard to stick to paying people just for the subject they are qualified in as ultimately principals decide who teaches what regardless of qualifications.

Aye I'd say they'll probably phase it in and make an allowance for those already in the system. Seems a bit limiting though for certain rural schools or 'scarce' subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Seems like an idea someone sitting in a nice office came up with that won't work in the real world however well intentioned it is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

seavill wrote: »
    Seems like an idea someone sitting in a nice office came up with that won't work in the real world however well intentioned it is

The above encapsulates almost every decision made at official level in the last few years regarding teaching.

Advertisement