Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Year Project Ideas

Options
  • 02-03-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I'm doing a FYP on genetic variation in sport and I'm just looking for any ideas to help me along. I have an idea in my head like comparing the genome of GAA players in different positions like what make a forward a forward or a back a back... Another idea I had was to compare responses to training between athletes from different sports.

Can anyone else give me some ideas because I am having a bit of a mental block :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would look at the epigenome rather than the genome. That way you could study how different environmental stressors I.e training result in variations in methylation patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BenMcC

great idea! hadn't thought of looking at the epigenome in that way!

We can look at a 12 week training schedule but would 12 weeks be long enough to get some conclusive data?

BenMcC wrote: »
    We can look at a 12 week training schedule but would 12 weeks be long enough to get some conclusive data?

Well what tools have you available? You could compare epigenome and genome to establish a nature VS nurture narrative.

Can I give some advice on what genome positions to look at?

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm not 100% on the equipment available here in the college.... We have the tools to look at 13 different SNPs, that I know for sure. We have dexa machines if we were looking to compare the conformation changes and I believe we have a flow cytometry microscope to look at any biomarkers etc.
    Sure I'll take any advice you've got :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Talk to your project supervisor. They will probably already have devised a project that you will be able to achieve and will know what equipment is available to you and what support you will get (and what samples you can access).

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi,

Im trying to start my fyp and all I know it that I have to find a gap in the literature, what exactly does this mean?
    Does it mean that there can be no literature to answer my question?
    Any help would be great,
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im trying to start my fyp and all I know it that I have to find a gap in the literature, what exactly does this mean?
    Does it mean that there can be no literature to answer my question?
    Any help would be great,
    thanks

That's a tricky one. This book chapter gives some good background on formulating a good research question based on the FINER criteria (Feasible, Interesting, Novel, Ethical, and Relevant). A good research project should in some way contribute new knowledge, however that is not to say there should be no previous literature in order for research to be novel. Your project could for example investigate if a finding from previous literature holds true in a different population, or if a weakness in the original study is addressed. You might want to build on something from a previous study, for example if a treatment has been found to be effective in addressing an outcome, you may wish to see if the treatment works better in certain types of people, what the optimal duration or dose of treatment is, or what the effect of the treatment on a different outcome is.

Finding a niche which you can address may be difficult (especially within the confines of a FYP), definitely discuss it with your supervisor to get their opinion and guidance.

Advertisement