Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin bikes - no spaces left

Options
  • 02-03-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im wondering about what to do when there is no spaces to return a Dublin Bike. Of course you can wait or go to the next station if there is free spaces but i've seen bikes parked next to the station...i presume this is risky, the bike could be stolen or the fee charged could increase...so why do people do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Awe sure it'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I've seen people do this sometimes too. Maybe they hope the next person will just take the bike that's not locked. Other times they lock it with the cable provided on the bike, assuming they will be back INA few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Log in to the screen and you'll get 15 minutes free to leave your bike at another docking station. There will be a list of nearby free stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

There is an excellent app - it's called coca cola zero dublin bikes and shows each station on google maps with the number of free spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye, or else that app in my sig shows you your nearest bike station.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

leaving the bikes unlocked at the stations is really stupid idea , you shouldn't be relying on them if you're in such a rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Slunk wrote: »
    I've seen people do this sometimes too. Maybe they hope the next person will just take the bike that's not locked. Other times they lock it with the cable provided on the bike, assuming they will be back INA few minutes.

Surely someone else can't take a bike that hasn't been returned to a docking station? The previous user would still be getting charged and they wouldn't know lock combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Surely someone else can't take a bike that hasn't been returned to a docking station? The previous user would still be getting charged and they wouldn't know lock combo.

Correct. Anyone who leaves their bike unlocked at a station doesn't understand how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Lock combo? It's a key that's used.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It wouldn't be locked, that's the point. The poster was saying that some people might just leave their unlocked bike beside the full station, hoping that someone else would take it shortly and put it back somewhere else.

And yes, the previous user would still be getting charged, and yes, it's a pretty stupid thing to do

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Slunk wrote: »

If you just abandon the bike, it'll rack up hourly charges. You need to physically lock the bike back into the stand to register it as returned. Could find yourself €150 out of pocket if the bike is there over 24 hours.

Happens to me the odd time - Merrion Square is near my office and it a busy stand (either all gone or no room - depends on time of day) - some time's I'll lock it if I'm in a hurry and at a meeting or event, other times I'll wait - yesterday morning at Barrow Street there was perhaps 4 or 5 of us waiting to return bikes, took a max 3 or 4 mins for the other bikes to be taken and spaces come available. As well, Dublin Bikes had the flat bed truck there to take excess bikes for distribution to less busy points, which the do regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

as a Dublin Bikes user if I came up to a full rack of bikes with one idling up beside them, I'd still log in and take my own bike off the system. If, IF i was feeling like a good samaritan I would sooner take a bike out and then park the idle one in the spot I had vacated. The last option I would take is jump on the idle bike

Advertisement