Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to fix this table?

Options
  • 02-03-2015 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

hi,
    someone tried to clean my table a bit too rigorously :(

what is the best way to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It looks like it's been sanded!?

If it has, you need to sand it with the grain (i.e. in the same direction as the lines in the wood, if that makes sense) with progressively finer grades of paper (e.g. starting with 80 grit, then 120, 180, 240 until you're happy!) before re-varnishing/lacquering/oiling as you desire....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I'd say it was wire wool. If I sand that bit will the rest of the table look odd?
    What kind of oil and lacquer?
    Sorry for all the questions. I really am grateful for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Can you put up a pic of the full table top

how's this pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

tinner777 wrote: »
    how's this pic?

All I can see is a table top made with a lot of sapwood included. Are you referring to the light and dark areas ?

• Advertisement

recipio wrote: »
    All I can see is a table top made with a lot of sapwood included. Are you referring to the light and dark areas ?

hi the pic in the first post shows the scratched part of the table, the second pic is the table itself.

I was wondering if i sanded the part in the top pic would i need to do the whole table?

I think you need to sand the whole table top to get an even finish, what type of wood is it? looks like yew,

I think you need to sand the whole table top to get an even finish, what type of wood is it? looks like yew,

Sheesham wood??

Sheesham wood??
    Given that it only seems the lacquer has been scratched and not the wood. Could I just reapply the lacquer?

Given that it only seems the lacquer has been scratched and not the wood. Could I just reapply the lacquer?

It looks like Cedar to me. Has it got a nice, pleasant aroma ?
    If its already coated with lacquer you could touch it up with a can of spray lacquer ( after sanding from 120 to 240 grit and vacuuming off the dust ). If it has a glossy finish it may be lacquer or polyurethane but most craftspeople would say oil is a nicer finish on Cedar to preserve the aroma.

• Advertisement

Sheesham wood??
    also known as Indian Rosewood .

You could try sanding the affected part only and spraying some lacquer onto it , nothing to lose at this point, one thing to remember though is the freshly sanded and lacquered piece will be lighter in colour for a while , but be patient and it will tone down after a while

last silly question, honest...

which kind of spray do i need? clear, gloss or semi gloss?

thanks

last silly question, honest...

which kind of spray do i need? clear, gloss or semi gloss?

thanks

You can buy small cans of lacquer in a motor factors which should be more than enough. They all finish a kind of gloss anyway - not as intense the stuff you put on with a brush.
    Otherwise there is a range of sprays called ' Chestnut' which I think is available in the Carpentry Store in Naas.
    Looking at the first photo, it does resemble a rosewood although there is plenty of sapwood in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It's not cedar definitely. Indian rosewood could be. I wouldn't be lacquer img it. Try rubbing back just the top with 150 grit paper and rub a coat of thinners onto it. Then rub down with a 180 grit paper. When that's all done a couple of coats of teak oil rubbed on and it should be like new. Watch for drips down the sides and legs in case it is a different type of finish and reacts badly with it.

Advertisement