Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo/Leitrim General Election! 2015/2016?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jayop wrote:
    I'm too busy to watch tonight. Hows the young buck from PPP doing?

Been overshadowed by shouty old men and the crowd to be honest. Spoke well but towed the typical PBP line without stating his own opinion on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

As if we needed a reminder as to why Marcella McGarry was voted out...

After her question I wouldn't be surprised that she had family working for IW. She quite clearly got answers for it but obviously couldn't comprehend it. I'm liking O'Keefe, but again she's getting nothing from me because of her party, shame really.

rizzodun wrote:
    He's at the table, so... there's that...

It could be worse. He could be Des Guckian or that lad from Cavan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Necrominus wrote: »
    Been overshadowed by shouty old men and the crowd to be honest. Spoke well but towed the typical PBP line without stating his own opinion on anything.

He spoke to on of our neighbors at the door there but we must have been out. She said he was very articulate.

I've had two canvassers. Eamon Scanlon and Des Guckian. Worked with Eamon closely in the last few years on a voluntary basis so didn't give him (too) hard of a time. Des was a nice fella but as I said before I don't entertain independents of any description for National government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

After her question I wouldn't be surprised that she had family working for IW. She quite clearly got answers for it but obviously couldn't comprehend it. I'm liking O'Keefe, but again she's getting nothing from me because of her party, shame really.

Just on this, I understand the perception with Labour nationally but why would you not vote for a candidate on merit? Perry got in solely on the basis nobody would vote FF I believe, as I recall he didn't particularly stand out in the last GE and look where that got us.

I'm not a fan of Labour, but Susan O'Keefe held herself well and her canvassers that came to my door were very articulate and made very good points backed up with practical examples and promising potential benefits in the future without resorting to pipe dream promises like some other candidates. In a crowd of very average candidates we have I'm seriously considering giving her a high preference. I think she deserves a chance to prove herself.

I never considered Bree because when I went though the candidates on whichcandidate.ie he hadn't filled in his answers, but looking into him he seems to be someone who is closely aligned on a lot of social issues to myself.

Anyone got any views on him or experience of him as a councilor? Is he all about the town or does he care at all about the rural issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

rizzodun wrote: »
    Just on this, I understand the perception with Labour nationally but why would you not vote for a candidate on merit? Perry got in solely on the basis nobody would vote FF I believe, as I recall he didn't particularly stand out in the last GE and look where that got us.

I'm not a fan of Labour, but Susan O'Keefe held herself well and her canvassers that came to my door were very articulate and made very good points backed up with practical examples and promising potential benefits in the future without resorting to pipe dream promises like some other candidates. In a crowd of very average candidates we have I'm seriously considering giving her a high preference. I think she deserves a chance to prove herself.

Susan O'Keeffe has proven herself. Proven as someone who cannot be trusted.

She swore she would leave Labour if they were in government and cancer services were not restored. Anyone willing to make 'promises' to cancer patients, only to renege on them for a seat in the Seanad, should not be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

That's the ting though, you're not voting for a person in the general election, you're voting for a party unless you're voting for an indendent candidate. Who ever it is you vote for will just do what the person at the top tells them to do. Like I said, she's great at sounding very confident and does sometimes stand out from the crowd, but I will not support that party, and voting for her will do exactly that.

Susan O'Keeffe has proven herself. Proven as someone who cannot be trusted.

She swore she would leave Labour if they were in government and cancer services were not restored. Anyone willing to make 'promises' to cancer patients, only to renege on them for a seat in the Seanad, should not be trusted.

I hadn't realised she had committed to leaving Labour over cancer services, must have missed that one.

The lot of them who made that commitment were foolish when they hadn't a clue what the story was at the time. Why not just commit to fighting for the services, make a lot of noise, at least then you could show publicly you tried your damnedest to get them back if they were lost.

Not that that absolves them of course.

• Advertisement

I hadn't realised she had committed to leaving Labour over cancer services, must have missed that one.

The lot of them who made that commitment were foolish when they hadn't a clue what the story was at the time. Why not just commit to fighting for the services, make a lot of noise, at least then you could show publicly you tried your damnedest to get them back if they were lost.

Not that that absolves them of course.

It was stupid to make the promise. But the treachery extended beyond that. There's simply no two ways about it. John Perry, Tony McLoughlin and Susan O'Keeffe made promises and never kept them.

All of that aside, I never got the impression she was very political. Hoping Yeats was going to make an impression on people is, odd. Numerous crisis in this country aren't going to be resolved by almost exclusively promoting poetry.

Neck on the line.

Here's my current preference.

Bree - Ind
    Kenny - SF
    Gallagher - PPP
    McManus - SF
    O'Hora - Green
    Sweeney - Ind
    O'Keefe - Lab
    Scanlon - FF
    Mac Sharry - FF
    Casserley - Ind

No preference for any FG candidate and none for any of the Pro-Life independents.

Jayop wrote:
    No preference for any FG candidate and none for any of the Pro-Life independents.

Your entitled to your views of course, but why any preference for FF, the party that wrecked the country initially. It's actually scary how short a memory the country has that we would even consider FF only 5 years down the line.

Also Marc McSharry was pro life as was Scanlon if I remember correctly.

Also Marc McSharry was pro life as was Scanlon if I remember correctly.

Yep both prolife. O'Hora seemed to dodge on the ocean debate and Casserly is ProLife too.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Doe anyone know where all the candidates stand on repealing the 8th?
    I know Labour are for it but I wonder would a free vote be allowed if it was up in the Dail?

Is there anywhere where there is a list of candidates emails?

Yep both prolife. O'Hora seemed to dodge on the ocean debate and Casserly is ProLife too.

O'Hora is a one policy candidate and that policy is prolife.

The reason for the two preferences for ff are despite their pro life stance, if my ballot gets that far down the ticket I just want to keep fg out.

Jayop wrote: »
    O'Hora is a one policy candidate and that policy is prolife.

The reason for the two preferences for ff are despite their pro life stance, if my ballot gets that far down the ticket I just want to keep fg out.

Leslie O'Hora is the Green Party candidate.
    Bernie O'Hara is the Prolife candidate.

barneyrub wrote: »
    Doe anyone know where all the candidates stand on repealing the 8th?

In alphabetical order in favour of repeal the 8th:

Declan Bree
    Nigel Gallagher
    Martin Kenny
    Leslie O'Hora
    Susan O'Keefe
    Bernard Sweeney

Leslie O'Hora is the Green Party candidate.
    Bernie O'Hara is the Prolife candidate.

Sorry got mixed up. In the ocean fm debate the green candidate said he was in favor of repealing the eighth. He was rambling a but but that was the gist of it.

Sorry got mixed up. In the ocean fm debate the green candidate said he was in favor of repealing the eighth. He was rambling a but but that was the gist of it.

Couldn't remember his answer. He seemed to get aggressive even when he was in favour of something.

• Advertisement

Declan Bree Nigel Gallagher Martin Kenny Leslie O'Hora Susan O'Keefe Bernard Sweeney

I'm annoyed rural crime wasn't brought up in the first debate. Would like to have heard his solution to it.

I'm annoyed rural crime wasn't brought up in the first debate. Would like to have heard his solution to it.

Specifically Bernard?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

In alphabetical order in favour of repeal the 8th:

Declan Bree
    Nigel Gallagher
    Martin Kenny
    Leslie O'Hora
    Susan O'Keefe
    Bernard Sweeney
    Thank you. Narrows my vote considerably!

Wonder how many of them are in favour of equality in schools...might have noone to vote for!

Can't say Bree's history with Sligo CoCo would encourage me to give him any preference on the ballot myself. That from someone who isn't too impressed in. the council's handling of things over the last few years either.

Specifically Bernard?

Specifically Bernard. I'd also agree with the previous poster on Bree, his antics in the council would seriously put me off him. That and he's independent.

Can't say Bree's history with Sligo CoCo would encourage me to give him any preference on the ballot myself. That from someone who isn't too impressed in. the council's handling of things over the last few years either.

Have to say I'm the exact opposite. Who was highlighting and speaking out against the fairytale budgets that have left the council in millions of debt. Supported Repealing the 8th amendment in the 80's when it definitely wasn't populist. He was involved in yes equality last year unlike most of the candidates.

I'm voting Independent. Trying to get crumbs from the table by voting for parties has done nothing for this area. Some may not like Declan or fully agree with his politics but he gets things done and there's not one person who doesn't know where he stands on any issue. Can that be said of any other candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I never considered Bree because when I went though the candidates on whichcandidate.ie he hadn't filled in his answers, but looking into him he seems to be someone who is closely aligned on a lot of social issues to myself.

Anyone got any views on him or experience of him as a councilor? Is he all about the town or does he care at all about the rural issues?

On paper he wouldn't be too far from my views. However, he turned up on my doorstep and when I asked some questions about his policies he literally turned his back on me and walked away. When he was passing the house again later I went out and told him how disrespectful it was and he told me that 3 minutes is all anybody is worth, and that he doesn't care if I vote Fianna Fail or Fine Gael. He treated me with contempt for asking the same questions that I asked other candidates. I wouldn't mind so much but I have always voted Independent/left. When I named another candidate (Nigel Gallagher) who gave me the time at the door, Bree basically said that he was a fool to do so.

Declan Bree treats the people he wants to represent with absolute disdain.

I have issues with most of the candidates but I always vote all the way down the polling card. Bree will probably get my number 7, above Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Féin, and the religious one, but below everybody else out there. A horrible person in my experience.

Wow that's awful.

On the 8th issue aren't the 2 SF candidates on favor of repealing it too?

ectoraige wrote: »
    On paper he wouldn't be too far from my views. However, he turned up on my doorstep and when I asked some questions about his policies he literally turned his back on me and walked away. When he was passing the house again later I went out and told him how disrespectful it was and he told me that 3 minutes is all anybody is worth, and that he doesn't care if I vote Fianna Fail or Fine Gael. He treated me with contempt for asking the same questions that I asked other candidates. I wouldn't mind so much but I have always voted Independent/left. When I named another candidate (Nigel Gallagher) who gave me the time at the door, Bree basically said that he was a fool to do so.

Declan Bree treats the people he wants to represent with absolute disdain.

I have issues with most of the candidates but I always vote all the way down the polling card. Bree will probably get my number 7, above Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Féin, and the religious one, but below everybody else out there. A horrible person in my experience.

Is this for real? Jesus Christ what selfish nonsense. 4 counties and 119,000 constituents but you want someone canvassing to keep you company for a few hours.

Let me guess. Potholes and politicians jumping in photos is what you're looking for :D

• Advertisement

Is this for real? Jesus Christ what selfish nonsense. 4 counties and 119,000 constituents but you want someone canvassing to keep you company for a few hours.

Let me guess. Potholes and politicians jumping in photos is what you're looking for :D

It's a big jump from answering a few questions to a few hours.

I take anything I read online with a pinch of salt but that has genuinely made me question how far up in my preferences I'd leave Bree.

Advertisement