Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo/Leitrim General Election! 2015/2016?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm voting Independent. Trying to get crumbs from the table by voting for parties has done nothing for this area. Some may not like Declan or fully agree with his politics but he gets things done and there's not one person who doesn't know where he stands on any issue. Can that be said of any other candidate?

And what exactly will voting Independent get for the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jayop wrote: »
    It's a big jump from answering a few questions to a few hours.

I take anything I read online with a pinch of salt but that has genuinely made me question how far up in my preferences I'd leave Bree.

Personally speaking I don't look to keep any canvassers at the door long. I know it's a huge area in the shortest campaign in history. Just seems decent not to expect an enquiry at the door.

In my opinion 3 minutes is too long. Work that out amongst 119,000 people. Something tells me that story is being embellished :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Necrominus wrote: »

Perhaps someone that will fight for the region rather than just toe the party line. Maybe someone who will not make promises of services at election time and then refuse to quit like they said they would when the promises are not fulfilled.

Personally speaking I don't look to keep any canvassers at the door long. I know it's a huge area in the shortest campaign in history. Just seems decent not to expect an enquiry at the door. Anyone trying to rx

In my opinion 3 minutes is too long. Work that out amongst 119,000 people.

But it's not amongst 119,000 people. The vast vast majority of people will just take the material and try to get back to Eastenders as quickly as possible.

What has voting for established parties got us?

• Advertisement

What has voting for established partyies got us?

Shall I list Perry's achievements then? A new fire station in Ballymote. Primary Care Centre on the way. Modern Library and new Garda Station. The Art Deco. Brand new regional headquarters for Gardai in Sligo also on the way.
    I accept he made a mistake with the cancer services (FF had removed them already however). But these achievements for the constituency are never mentioned.
    Perry also campaigned for SSM last year. These are tangible real achievements. What has Bree done other than bully half the council into a walkout.

Shall I list Perry's achievements then? A new fire station in Ballymote. Primary Care Centre on the way. Modern Library and new Garda Station. The Art Deco. Brand new regional headquarters for Gardai in Sligo also on the way.
    I accept he made a mistake with the cancer services (FF had removed them already however). But these achievements for the constituency are never mentioned.
    Perry also campaigned for SSM last year. These are tangible real achievements. What has Bree done other than bully half the council into a walkout.

Voting for Perry. I'll not reply, what's the point. Anyone who could lie to cancer patients and lower the Irish flag to raise his own face like he has done in Ballymote is a wasted vote.

The ballot is private. Enjoy that. I certainly wouldn't be boasting about John perrys 'achievements'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Some people would vote at least as much for what their candidate can offer the country rather than just the area, and many independents have made important contributions to this last Dail - Catherine Murphy, Stephen Donnelly, even Mick Wallace to name a few. This despite the refrain that voting independent was a waste etc.

All the while he's allowed services in Tubbercurry to be closed and all the government jobs that were in the area to be moved to his masters house in Castlebar.

If all he's done is a few Euro for Ballymote to try to ensure his election the next time on Parish pump issues then he's worse than a bloody independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Independents will tell you everything you want to hear and agree that every service possible should be established/re-established in the area.

But they also know they will never be in a position where they'll have to put their necks on the line by having to fund everybodies wishlist.

• Advertisement

Voting for Perry. I'll not reply, what's the point. Anyone who could lie to cancer patients and lower the Irish flag to raise his own face like he has done in Ballymote is a wasted vote.

Sure we'll let the ballot boxes tell us which one was the wasted vote maybe?
    Enjoy your own private vote mate.

red sean wrote: »
    Independents will tell you everything you want to hear and agree that every service possible should be established/re-established in the area.

Yes. This certainly is a trait for independents. None of the party candidates are known for making false promises. Jesus :D

RGDATA! wrote:
    Some people would vote at least as much for what their candidate can offer the country rather than just the area, and many independents have made important contributions to this last Dail - Catherine Murphy, Stephen Donnelly, even Mick Wallace to name a few. This despite the refrain that voting independent was a waste etc.

Moving the goalposts there a tad with Stephen Donnelly nowadays? Don't get me started on Mick Wallace.

I'd sooner vote SF than independent. Maybe I will in next election when they clear out the terrorists at the top as they have some talented politicians in their ranks.
    Marian Harkin is the only independent in the last 20 years to get elected in this constituency. And that turned out well didn't it? The independents running here this term consist of a fence-sitter, an ex-Labour bully, a one issue candidate and two no hopers who have the charisma of a tin can. None of them will be elected.

My prediction is 1 SF (Kenny, will top the poll), 1 FF (McSharry) 1 FG (Perry or McLoughlin) with FF and FG duking it out for last seat.

Moving the goalposts there a tad with Stephen Donnelly nowadays? Don't get me started on Mick Wallace.

I'd sooner vote SF than independent. Maybe I will in next election when they clear out the terrorists at the top as they have some talented politicians in their ranks.
    Marian Harkin is the only independent in the last 20 years to get elected in this constituency. And that turned out well didn't it? The independents running here this term consist of a fence-sitter, an ex-Labour bully, a one issue candidate and two no hopers who have the charisma of a tin can. None of them will be elected.

My prediction is 1 SF (Kenny, will top the poll), 1 FF (McSharry) 1 FG (Perry or McLoughlin) with FF and FG duking it out for last seat.

No chance McManus could get in 4th with preferences from the indo's and Kenny?

Jayop wrote:
    No chance McManus could get in 4th with preferences from the indo's and Kenny?

It's possible certainly. SF aren't terribly transfer friendly so he'd need a huge FPV which would be possible but for the split in Sligo between himself, McSharry and Bree. Casserly will eat into those votes a little too I think. I'd expect Bree's transfers to largely go to O'Keefe who'll probably be eliminated at that point.
    It's only my prediction anyways! Two seats in Sligo/Leitrim(/West Cavan/South Donegal...) for SF would mean a phenomenal national performance for the party IMO. Remember last time round was the first time in a long time we had one SF representative so two would be a push.. This soon.

Kenny now 1/18 to be elected on PP. If that's not a sure thing I dunno what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Want to fully use my vote this Friday, ie, preferences 1-18. Some of them I want no way near the Dail. 1-3/4 I pretty close to deciding, as well as 15-18. All the ones in the middle I'm not so sure on.

:confused:

Mint Sauce wrote:
    Want to fully use my vote this Friday, ie, preferences 1-18. Some of them I want no way near the Dail. 1-3/4 I pretty close to deciding, as well as 15-18. All the ones in the middle I'm not so sure on.

Fully using your vote depends on the way your preferences lie. If you vote for... let's say O'Keefe who'll probably be eliminated in 4th count (guess could be sooner or later) if you don't want to vote FF or FG for example your vote could still be massive to a 17th preference when all smaller candidates are eliminated.

While I like the idea of transfers, there are people I simply don't want elected so in order to ensure that I won't put them on the ballot at all. I'll probably do a max of 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Okay the election is on Friday and I haven't a clue which candidate, if elected will benefit Sligo the most. Is there any website which lists each candidates policies? Have no idea who to vote for.

Okay the election is on Friday and I haven't a clue which candidate, if elected will benefit Sligo the most. Is there any website which lists each candidates policies? Have no idea who to vote for.

whichcandidate.ie

I'm honestly at a loss too. I've chopped and changed about 5 times. Honestly don't like any of them.

• Advertisement

smartvote.ie is a quick fire method. I won't say it's the best but it's a start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Okay that is my duty as a responsible citizen fulfilled, voting for people I didn't want to vote for. I wasn't impressed by any of the candidates and never heard of 5 or 6 of them that were on the ballot sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Duty done. Roughly 50% turn out at my booth about half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I went to vote and my name was already crossed off... It's not a common name so couldn't be a mistake like that. I had to show ID, which confused the situation further add I use my middle name and not first name.

Got to vote in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Any tallies out for Sligo/Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Slideways wrote: »

Very early reports on RTE http://www.rte.ie/news/election-2016/constituencies/sligo-leitrim/

Slideways wrote: »

Tallies for Sligo available on this link: http://sligotally.azurewebsites.net/SligoTallies2016.htm

75 boxes open so far. Looking like MacSharry, Scanlon, Kenny (assuming he gets the expected Leitrim vote) and one FG. Not clear who yet but possibly McLoughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Tallies for Sligo available on this link: http://sligotally.azurewebsites.net/SligoTallies2016.htm

75 boxes open so far. Looking like MacSharry, Scanlon, Kenny (assuming he gets the expected Leitrim vote) and one FG. Not clear who yet but possibly McLoughlin.

No wonder the place is in the state it is, with the mutts returned for this constituency election after election, dunno anything about Kenny but McLoughlin and McSharry are mediocrities and Scanlon god help us even mediocrity is beyond his reach.

No wonder the place is in the state it is, with the mutts returned for this constituency election after election, dunno anything about Kenny but McLoughlin and McSharry are mediocrities and Scanlon god help us even mediocrity is beyond his reach.

Scanlon is purely geographic imo. No alternative for South Sligo apart from him and Perry. Both awful candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Geography is no excuse, there is talk of a "sea change" in Irish politics beyant on RTE, The whole map Political of Ireland has been changed ... but as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short we see the Numpty Buffs of Ballymote and Tubbercurry emerging once again.

Advertisement