Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*** Proposed New Junior Cert. **Read Mod Warning Post #1 Before Posting**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

The school cert will resemble an expanded school report. It won't have grades, rather we will tick comments from a national template.

The internal assessments (e.g. English oral) will be carried out instead of Christmas or Summer tests.

You really think it'll be that simple? You won't be expected to do separate assessments?

I don't think it's going to be that easy. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

katydid wrote: »
    You really think it'll be that simple? You won't be expected to do separate assessments?

I don't think it's going to be that easy. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I thought you were In favour of teacher assessment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Icsics

I think experience has taught us to be very very careful about accepting 'deals' from this Govt. Look what happened with S&S and CP hours...they became compulsory & our conditions worsened. I will not accept any form of teacher assessment, because eventually we will be certifying for state assessment. If the JCert is so out of date then so must be the LCert, but the Govt won't touch that because the universities / ITs / Employers would be up in arms. We must stick to our guns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So what is Jan O'Sullivan insisting that you do?

Doesn't matter what she is insisting, I will stand with my colleagues and follow the Union directive. The department does not provide education... they provide FOR education. So it's a case of either pay the wages or don't. Eveything else is done by consensus.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what she is insisting, I will stand with my colleagues and follow the Union directive. The department does not provide education... they provide FOR education. So it's a case of either pay the wages or don't. Eveything else is done by consensus.

That's not the point. Of course you'll stick with the union directive. But there is no directive as of now, and in any case what does the union have to be against if nothing has changed.
    I'm confused. People are now basically saying nothing will change, except calling Christmas and Easter tests by some other name. But she seems to think that there is extra, specific assessment to be done.

Which is it?

I thought you were In favour of teacher assessment?

I am. I'm just confused that people are telling me that you won't be doing it, while the minister is saying you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Afaik, the minister wants to plough ahead with the JCSA based on the Travers document. The unions are continuing with the industrial action of non-cooperation until they decide to either accept the document and go in and negotiate for resources or go out on strike again.

It's a drastically different proposal to the one that RQ tried to railroad us into last year. He wanted 100% school-based assessment; now it's proposed that a percentage of each subject (60% in English) be examined and certified by the SEC and a percentage be assessed in-school and reported to parents.

Afaik, the minister wants to plough ahead with the JCSA based on the Travers document. The unions are continuing with the industrial action of non-cooperation until they decide to either accept the document and go in and negotiate for resources or go out on strike again.

It's a drastically different proposal to the one that RQ tried to railroad us into last year. He wanted 100% school-based assessment; now it's proposed that a percentage of each subject (60% in English) be examined and certified by the SEC and a percentage be assessed in-school and reported to parents.

But the Travers document DOES involve assessments that are separate to normal school assessments, no?

But the Travers document DOES involve assessments that are separate to normal school assessments, no?

The document is here. School assessments will be done to a national timetable, students may be doing ten subjects and concerns about over-assessing students are mentioned frequently, so I cannot see how you could logistically have a pile of assessments leading up to Summer of 2nd year and then your usual inhouse Summer exams. That would be the overload the document says it's trying to avoid. That's without considering the paperwork and the confusion for parents that would cause - Summer test reports and a school assessment report?

• Advertisement

That's not the point. Of course you'll stick with the union directive. But there is no directive as of now, and in any case what does the union have to be against if nothing has changed.
    I'm confused. People are now basically saying nothing will change, except calling Christmas and Easter tests by some other name. But she seems to think that there is extra, specific assessment to be done.

Which is it?

Same directive as of 'pre Travers'....
    No calling christmas, easter other names. Everything as was.
    Minister can be saying whatever she likes but with no consensus then its all moot..

... except for refusing pay, thats all she can do.. then thats a whole different kettle of fish..which would be impolite to leave on any new incoming minister's desk! Unless she gets put back to education after the election!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

If this comes in its only the start ......surely people can see that ! "It's not too bad" "it's better than the original"
    We have been here before ..........if this is accepted they will be back within 2/3 years with changes to get closer to original proposals. Surely to god ye can see that? It's is a constant gradual erosion of our working conditions . All of it being voted in by ourselves. Some of it might "not be too bad" in isolation..........but I live in the real world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭acequion

km79 is completely right. Reading through recent comments had me thinking that that there must be major concessions in the revised document so I read it. [Thank you implausible for providing the link] Not only do I not see any concessions,I think it's actually worse.If you study carefully sections 3.5-3.8 you will see that it will entail a significant bureaucratisation which is exactly what the DES want and we don't. It is the very overload of paper work that defines the English system which has led to the levels of teacher demoralisation there which we are trying to avoid here.

The teacher assessment is every bit as bad as originally proposed except that it's not state certified. NOT YET. You don't have to be a genius to see that the independent verification process,the student appeals process and amended assessments will entail a huge amount of extra work,tedious unpaid work.In the light of all we have endured I would certainly resent that enormously and I'd bet I'm not the only one. Teacher resentment is hardly conducive to success.Everyone acknowledges that the teachers need to be on board.

Furthermore,the "formal subject learning and assessment review meetings" copper fastens the CP hours forever,when we need to fight to get rid of them.And one wonders how such meetings can be administered without paid heads of department,which they actually do have in England and which is largely more free labour here.

As for it being an extremely slippery slope,well go figure! Standardised testing is still there which paves the way for league tables. This is only the start of the "reform" agenda.

So,absolutely NO WAY, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't forfeit two days wages and leave my current LC's without classes for that! I would be very wary of TUI and I have a feeling they might be pushing for this. They are a disgrace as a union and they shouldn't be representing the second level sector.I would urge all concerned members to heap pressure on their leaders.After all you pay their wages and you deserve decent representation.

Dig in your heels folks and let's all stick together!

acequion wrote: »

I would be very wary of TUI and I have a feeling they might be pushing for this. They are a disgrace as a union and they shouldn't be representing the second level sector.I would urge all concerned members to heap pressure on their leaders.After all you pay their wages and you deserve decent representation.

The TUI is the sum of its members. TUI executive are working teachers, most of them working in second level. They are not some kind of rarified group removed from reality. The union official's job is to carry out the directives and wishes of the executive, who are democratically elected by union members, and have to answer to them. Why should they not represent teachers in the sector in which they themselves work?

You don't have to be a genius to see that the independent verification process, the student appeals process and amended assessments will entail a huge amount of extra work,tedious unpaid work.In the light of all we have endured I would certainly resent that enormously and I'd bet I'm not the only one. Teacher resentment is hardly conducive to success.Everyone acknowledges that the teachers need to be on board.

Furthermore,the "formal subject learning and assessment review meetings" copper fastens the CP hours forever,when we need to fight to get rid of them.And one wonders how such meetings can be administered without paid heads of department,which they actually do have in England and which is largely more free labour here.

Some clarification from a union meeting during the week:

The student appeals have been taken out, there will be no appeal of school assessment.

I presume by "amended assessment" you mean having to change marks after the Independent Assessment Support Service comes in. Apparently, they will just be advising whether a national standard is being adhered to and won't change marks - it's extremely watered-down moderation.

We were told that the these meetings will NOT be part of CP hours, a big deal was made in negotiations of the JC being kept separate from CP. The Dept are in agreement to giving an in-school day (students off) for this to take place.

The TUI is the sum of its members. TUI executive are working teachers, most of them working in second level. They are not some kind of rarified group removed from reality. The union official's job is to carry out the directives and wishes of the executive, who are democratically elected by union members, and have to answer to them. Why should they not represent teachers in the sector in which they themselves work?

Fair enough about the members of the TUI exec who are working teachers. But what about the third level ones? I have it on good authority that they want this deal to go through.

• Advertisement

Some clarification from a union meeting during the week:

The student appeals have been taken out, there will be no appeal of school assessment.

I presume by "amended assessment" you mean having to change marks after the Independent Assessment Support Service comes in. Apparently, they will just be advising whether a national standard is being adhered to and won't change marks - it's extremely watered-down moderation.

We were told that the these meetings will NOT be part of CP hours, a big deal was made in negotiations of the JC being kept separate from CP. The Dept are in agreement to giving an in-school day (students off) for this to take place.

Thanks implausible for that clarification. However the devil, as always, is in the detail and extremely watered down or not,it is still very bureaucratised and quite a few steps in the direction that the DES want? May I ask if you are TUI or ASTI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is it the case that project and practical work that is now externally assessed (science, home ec, religion) will now be done entirely in house?

Is it the case that project and practical work that is now externally assessed (science, home ec, religion) will now be done entirely in house?

I also want to know this
    if so it makes the new science course an utter joke !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Jamfa

I think your question is answered in 1.3 below:

1.3 These arrangements will be adjusted as follows for the suite of technology subjects, Art and Home Economics where practical and performance components currently represent the major part (more than 50%) of assessment for the subject:

• One or two school-based assessments completed in second-year and reported upon to students and parents by schools

• A short written or practical examination and/or the submission of an artefact or project leading to State certification

• In order to avoid over-assessment, the total number of school-based assessments and State-certified assessment elements will not exceed three. (See 3.4 below)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Jamfa wrote: »
    I think your question is answered in 1.3 below:

1.3 These arrangements will be adjusted as follows for the suite of technology subjects, Art and Home Economics where practical and performance components currently represent the major part (more than 50%) of assessment for the subject:

• One or two school-based assessments completed in second-year and reported upon to students and parents by schools

• A short written or practical examination and/or the submission of an artefact or project leading to State certification

• In order to avoid over-assessment, the total number of school-based assessments and State-certified assessment elements will not exceed three. (See 3.4 below)

No mention of music which has a current practical externally assessed worth 25% which really should continue to be externally assessed. Nearly every music student does a 50% practical in LC music and they should have the opportunity to be externally assessed before then

• Advertisement

No mention of music which has a current practical externally assessed worth 25% which really should continue to be externally assessed. Nearly every music student does a 50% practical in LC music and they should have the opportunity to be externally assessed before then

Obviously this hasn't been thought out at all as each subject has its nuances...
    If it were the case I'd be accompanying a student on the piano and taking notes at the same time. If in-house assessed practicals became the norm standards would go down the toilet. If students knew I was assessing rather than an outsider then it'd be a go slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Obviously this hasn't been thought out at all as each subject has its nuances...
    If it were the case I'd be accompanying a student on the piano and taking notes at the same time. If in-house assessed practicals became the norm standards would go down the toilet. If students knew I was assessing rather than an outsider then it'd be a go slow.

Exactly my opinion, it's farcical to have in house at JC when the LC is external and crucial to their grade. And I accompany too so it's very difficult. I imagine Id have to say I can't accompany for assessment because you simply couldn't do it correctly for full certification. It's grand for mock practicals etc but not for the main exam imo

Fair enough about the members of the TUI exec who are working teachers. But what about the third level ones? I have it on good authority that they want this deal to go through.

It's not up to them. As I said, most of the TUI exec would be either second level or FE.

Why would the third level ones care one way or the other, anyway?

No victory there...

Thanks implausible for that clarification. However the devil, as always, is in the detail and extremely watered down or not,it is still very bureaucratised and quite a few steps in the direction that the DES want? May I ask if you are TUI or ASTI?

TUI. On balance, it's much closer to what we want. Remember that RQ wanted 100% in-school assessment, we're light years away from that.

As Katydid has said, the exec is majority second level and FE teachers. If it comes to a ballot, only teachers in schools who offer the JC will vote.

It was my impression at the time before the ballot that it was the ASTI officials who need convincing on the ballot against the JC.

Was the ASTI ballot not well after the TUI one?

implausible;94587052]TUI. On balance, it's much closer to what we want. Remember that RQ wanted 100% in-school assessment, we're light years away from that.

And as I already said Ruari Quinn's proposals were so outlandish that anything seems better by comparison.

As Katydid has said, the exec is majority second level and FE teachers. If it comes to a ballot, only teachers in schools who offer the JC will vote.

Then can you explain why the TUI exec [the third level segment apparently] voted down the directive on non compliance with in-service and only agreed to it [for a mere two weeks] if ASTI removed the third strike day? As an ASTI member I am seething over that. It is certainly not the first time that TUI have had no compunctions about letting down their collegues in ASTI.

Again I appeal to TUI members to heap pressure on your union leadership because once again they seem ready to sell you out and isolate us.

The document is here. School assessments will be done to a national timetable, students may be doing ten subjects and concerns about over-assessing students are mentioned frequently, so I cannot see how you could logistically have a pile of assessments leading up to Summer of 2nd year and then your usual inhouse Summer exams. That would be the overload the document says it's trying to avoid. That's without considering the paperwork and the confusion for parents that would cause - Summer test reports and a school assessment report?
    That's easy to say, but if it isn't clear that these assessments will be replacing already existing assessments, there's no guarantee they would.

Same directive as of 'pre Travers'....
    No calling christmas, easter other names. Everything as was.
    Minister can be saying whatever she likes but with no consensus then its all moot..

... except for refusing pay, thats all she can do.. then thats a whole different kettle of fish..which would be impolite to leave on any new incoming minister's desk! Unless she gets put back to education after the election!

She probably won't be back in the Dáil after the next election.

I just checked, out of curiosity. There are twenty one members of the TUI executive, only five are third level, five are FE, and the rest are second level.

• Advertisement

Mod Snip

Those numbers don't add up.

Non-compliance is all we can do; the third strike day was always going to be problematic because there is no TUI mandate for it as the mandate is about to expire. The alternative is a split between the unions or a big delay as TUI try to get another ballot out.

How do you mean those numbers don't add up? You seem to misunderstand my post.I know for a fact that TUI only agreed to non compliance if ASTI removed the third strike day. Also TUI have only agreed to this compromise for two weeks, from last weekend until they [TUI exec] meet to make a final decision next weekend.

Many in ASTI are extremely worried that they will lift the directive to their members on non compliance with in-service. If the unions split then it really is all over, which is not in any of our interests.

How do you mean those numbers don't add up? You seem to misunderstand my post.I know for a fact that TUI only agreed to non compliance if ASTI removed the third strike day. Also TUI have only agreed to this compromise for two weeks, from last weekend until they [TUI exec] meet to make a final decision next weekend.

Many in ASTI are extremely worried that they will lift the directive to their members on non compliance with in-service. If the unions split then it really is all over, which is not in any of our interests.

It's all making sense now.
    I could not understand how the balance in power in this fight has shifted so quickly from the unions to Jan so quickly.
    Would not be the first time the tui had jumped ship and left it up to asti members to fight the fight ......but will be straight back in if it's won.
    It won't be though if there is a split and there obviously is. Why else would that meeting have taken a whole day and into the night

I was told by a member of the ASTI SC. Both unions were locked in talks on Friday of last week,so what transpired is now common knowledge. Go and ask one of your own officials if you don't believe me. I didn't claim that the third level reps outvoted the others because obviously that's not possible,but with the help of the third level reps the vote went in favour of lifting the directive.

I am only telling you what I've been told.I would advise all TUI members to inform themselves about what their exec is doing.

The directive will have to be lifted anyway as the mandate is about to run out! The options are: ballot again for renewed industrial action, the unions agree to this document or the unions split with TUI accepting and ASTI rejecting.

You're making it sound like TUI exec is trying to pull a fast one. There is no enthusiasm on the ground for another strike day. At a recent meeting on the issue, this revised document got a good reception. Of course, it's possible that my school and branch are completely unrepresentative, but then again, this forum is not representative either.

/let the lynching begin...

The directive will have to be lifted anyway as the mandate is about to run out! The options are: ballot again for renewed industrial action, the unions agree to this document or the unions split with TUI accepting and ASTI rejecting.

You're making it sound like TUI exec is trying to pull a fast one. There is no enthusiasm on the ground for another strike day. At a recent meeting on the issue, this revised document got a good reception. Of course, it's possible that my school and branch are completely unrepresentative, but then again, this forum is not representative either.

I've said that a few times actually regarding the forum. It's a max of maybe 10 regular posters on this. It's not representative of teachers as a whole sadly. The majority are oblivious or just don't care BUT will be the loudest complainers when reality hits home. I rarely sit in the staff room anymore (not that I have time to anyway) as it just makes me annoyed!
    I don't think there is another profession that gets attacked as much by those outside It whilst at the same time those in it are so apathetic / oblivious to the erosion of our working conditions.

There is rarely any enthusiasm on the ground in this country to actually fight,even when the fight can be won with a bit of bottle.Especially in this case as teachers have a lot of public backing on this one and the Government are very near the end of their term with Labour probably facing wipe out.

So I am really disappointed by your attitude and I'm sorry but your union really deserves to be lynched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

TUI doing their own thing? Whats new? Bad news if they are. Ultimately though its down to our own members. Why anybody would agree without resources beiing pinned down is beyond me. But how representative is this site? Who can say? I still think members will vote No if asked again. But I have been wrong in the past.
    If they (the members) vote Yes-then we should all leave the ASTI. That simple. Really it is.

Since I posted this-talked to Sc rep. TUI are actually holding firm but they did want to hold back on 3rd day of strike but they have not decided to accept Deal. Jan's intervention the next day has hardened positions. Lets not be in a rush here folks-the longer the impasse goes on the better. If anybody can give me a reason to hurry up Id love to hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

ah come on!

Mod: Apologies for the deleting Mrwhite1970 but this could go around in circulars forever as it's 'technically' hearsay (with all due respect to the person making the claim)...anyhow to be fair this is the nub of the claim.
    You said that the third level members of the TUI executives brought about this situation; it seems strange that five members out of 19 area reps would be able to outvote the other 14.

What is the basis for your knowing "for a fact" that this is the case.

I was told by a member of the ASTI SC. Both unions were locked in talks on Friday of last week,so what transpired is now common knowledge. Go and ask one of your own officials if you don't believe me. I didn't claim that the third level reps outvoted the others because obviously that's not possible,but with the help of the third level reps the vote went in favour of lifting the directive.

I am only telling you what I've been told.I would advise all TUI members to inform themselves about what their exec is doing.[/B]

I've put in a warning about TUI vs. ASTI in the OP thread warning (which I meant to do, as per the other HR/CP/Strike threads, sorry!). I'm not saying it's 'out of bounds' as the 2 unions do have different approaches to things, which we are entitled to discuss, maybe just be aware of where it may leads in debate. For the future just move on if an impasse arises between 2 members, no 'badgering the witness'.

Mod.

It's funny how little people seem to know about this whole thing. I was chatting in the staffroom today and outlined the new proposal from Travers.

The gist of the response was

-What's the point in assessing your own students if it's not part of the JC?
    -Sure who will take it seriously if its only school based assessment?
    -That's ridiculous if we're assessing them anyway it might as well be for state certification!

I asked them did they know why they were on strike for two days. The short answer is that they didn't get the whole thing.

So then I took up the middle point above i.e. -Sure who will take it seriously if its only school based assessment?
    I suggested that it was a way to get it in, make it mickey mouse and easy to do get it established. Then wait... the next round of talks where money is involved, we'll have to commit to 'modernisation' or something fancy like that and then we will have to decide on that and we know what happens when there is money on offer.

As for the first point - -What's the point in assessing your own students if it's not part of the JC? Is there an argument in favour of having it school certified if the students are getting an opportunity to be assessed in different ways? At least there is a chance to shine at something for some of them?
    Or is it simply as I have said before - the thin end of the wedge?

Did everyone get the joint letter from the TUI / ASTI today?
    http://www.tui.ie/_fileupload/060315/Letter%20re%20CPD-English_Gaeilge_Jt%20union_%2006%2003%2015.doc

From the document
    In accordance with the current Junior Cycle Framework Industrial Action Directives issued by the ASTI and the TUI, no ASTI or TUI member may register for or engage with this online CPD for Junior Cycle English nor may any member attend the NCCA Junior Cycle Gaeilge Conference. The directives prohibit any engagement by ASTI members or TUI members in CPD, meetings or planning activities in connection with the Junior Cycle Framework proposals.

They should have had that out a week ago - I wonder how many teachers have registered for this new site? I see JCT on twitter are flat out tweeting pictures of whole school development days etc. - what schools are these? are they real or is it all bluster?

You'd really have to wonder about the whole thing. I know the unions are piss poor at communication but it really takes the biscuit that people are so ill informed. There were meetings and roadshows over why we should accept the HRA but zero articulation to teachers of the position. But that raises another question... If a lot of these people don't know and don't care what are we at?

I could understand the fall off in union activism when times were better but they have been **** for a good while now and people are still so disengaged. It's appalling. In the last 5 years the job has deteriorated massively and it could be argued that we hadn't much control over that. this is a key issue and there is little palpable resistance in my staffroom at least oh it's terrible some will say but they haven't a clue what's going on or what the end game is here at all. And its not the 'younger' teachers. There's a glut of 30 something teachers who are secure in their jibs and don't seem to have any view to how they are going to spent their next 30 years!

• Advertisement

It just sickens me about outlining 'key skills' for a students life. I went to college to learn about my subject not to teach 'well being!'

Have a look at what's next in the UK and compare it to the JCSA framework (see the video on the JCT website if you can stomach it)....(from today's Telegraph HERE)

The national curriculum should be more focused on the teaching of skills such as team building, public speaking and problem solving, rather than "an encyclopaedic knowledge" of the world, he believes.

Have we all got the same Hymn Sheets handed out!

Anyway... meanwhile on the twitter machine... in a certain school in Westmeath, some hands are [edit: one hand is]rummaging with paper on a table during the typical free time enjoyed by all and sundries in the teaching profession. I just don;t get it, why on your free time would you decide to get together with the rest of your teachers to mull over the JCSA (which is all pie in the sky at the moment)... and then decide to take a photo of it.... and then decide to rush to put it on the twitter site
    HERE at 3am in the morning! (Even mods are asleep by then!) for some publicity!!! Without any faces shown. Am i missing something ... or is it just too much of a coincidence that the school is in westmeath (near a certain dept. maybe!)...

341475.jpg

Home - Junior Cycle for Teachers (JCT).jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You'd be tempted to put up a 'staff in a Dublin school discuss the pile of doodah that is the latest nonsense from the Department' tweet.
    blog_bored.jpg

This thread had gone worryingly quiet & even more worryingly, so have the Unions. I got an email 'invitation' today yo a 'Web

Icsics wrote: »
    This thread had gone worryingly quiet & even more worryingly, so have the Unions. I got an email 'invitation' today yo a 'Web

I was actually just thinking the same!
    something's a foot! how many weeks till the easter break again......

Sorry, to finish my post....got email invite to a 'Webinar', latest JCT attempt at English inservice oh & Q&A afterwards, how helpful are they! So the Dept are steamrolling ahead & our Unions have gone silent. I'm very worried & very annoyed with the Unions.

Sorry, to finish my post....got email invite to a 'Webinar', latest JCT attempt at English inservice oh & Q&A afterwards, how helpful are they! So the Dept are steamrolling ahead & our Unions have gone silent. I'm very worried & very annoyed with the Unions.

They issued a directive and a letter stating that the website was covered by the directive. Unless they get into the business of web filtering they cant do much until the minister makes a move.

• Advertisement

Unions have nothing more to say in my mind...

Its all dead in the water

Unions have nothing more to say in my mind...

Its all dead in the water

That's what I'm worried about!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Teacher22

Maybe I'm cynical but I think the unions are keeping stum as they head to conference, I also think they will go "active" afterwards and will try to sell us a deal in which the ministers is seen to give in but also save face...either way I'd be very surprised if they don't sell us out after they've lived it up at our expense in Kerry

I'd be inclined to agree with Teacher22 about the conferences,though we can only speculate on what might happen after that.

Like so many others I don't have a great deal of faith in my union but I'm hoping,perhaps against hope, that they don't sell us out. I don't think it's gone dead in the water though and I do hope a bit of militancy at the conferences might rally the troops a bit and refocus minds.

But I'd nearly have less faith in the members than the leaders tbh. This is a fight that can be won if the members stick to their principles. But will they??

Well I suppose they have to have a conference somewhere !

In other news... Jan got no invite to the conference (HERE) !

But will we see the return of megaphone man?

Also in he weeks news. Eddie hobbs is back as a 'politician' of some some sort, and he's gonna sort out us lazy underperforming teachers creaming it (he cites the eminent Ed. Walsh as his research material and the nasty unions strangling education). He may want to have a word with his co-member Terence Flanagan after his underperforming display on a radio interview. HERE .

Is the twitter machine still going on JCT?

• Advertisement
Advertisement