Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Eclipse Visible from Ireland - 20th March 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Someone said that that's how "dark" it is all the time on Mars, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fryup wrote: »
    wasn't that dark was it:( just dull

when will we have a 100% total eclipse in ireland??

Info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh jesus, mr smarty pants

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

Thanks for the great pics. I had a squinty look too, just the right amount of cloud here in Newcastle. I loved it. Our lambs went quiet for a while, it was hilarious when they all started bleating again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

solar%20eclipse%2020mar2015_zpsxy4nproo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what a photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Next total solar eclipse from Ireland is not until 2090. Even then, it's only total over the southwest of the country. Cork gets four total solar eclipses (I think) before Dublin sees totality cross the capital in the year 2600! I always knew Cork aspired to be the real capital of Ireland though :) And you don't know how much it pains me as a Tipp hurling fan to say Cork are tops in the eclipse stakes :)

Definitive book on the subject is http://www.shindles.co.uk/book/index.htm

John

• Registered Users Posts: 24 choclate

Went up to Dunsink observatory. It was very cloudy but at around 9:45am a break in the heavy cloud cover came and we got two glimpses :-). Happy days. Each time for about 3 seconds, but it was enough. It was so beautiful to be able to observe it and as cloud cover was still very heavy we could see it with the naked eye (think that was ok to do???).
    It was so cold when the eclipse was happening. The birds were singing away beforehand but were all quite for the period of the peak of the eclipse. I guess their day is a bit topsy turvy at this point.
    Thanks to everyone for posting the photos - they are lovely to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

wasn't that dark was it:( just dull

23rd Sept 2090. Bit of a wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

endacl wrote: »
    Because that'd be entirely pointless. And you'd look like a tool. With your face in a box. Looking at a washed out white screen.

If you do that, please post pics of you doing it so we can all have a giggle.

:)

Please see attached pictures taken with HTC M8 Camera phone

All phiotos copyright :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

ForestFire wrote: »
    Please see attached pictures taken with HTC M8 Camera phone

All phiotos copyright :)
    Wow. Really shows how dark it got!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This pic looks really bright but it did get fairly dark and eerily quite up on Bray head, like a very bright full moon:

pNiXepD.jpg

My eclipse glasses were uesless as I never actually saw it directly because of the clouds but it was naked eye viewable with the clouds acting as a filter:

07lwrxN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jfSDAS wrote: »
    Next total solar eclipse from Ireland is not until 2090. Even then, it's only total over the southwest of the country. Cork gets four total solar eclipses (I think) before Dublin sees totality cross the capital in the year 2600! I always knew Cork aspired to be the real capital of Ireland though :) And you don't know how much it pains me as a Tipp hurling fan to say Cork are tops in the eclipse stakes :)

John

One could argue then that Dublin just can't be eclipsed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

4CC9EB2B725B43CC803E174DB4D1E9BD-0000316763-0003743374-01200L-5AE756FF24E54FB8B4645F74BA13BAFD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Pics taken with my Note 4 through my solar sunglasses. The cloud mostly held off until after half nine where I was.

QdlhKRb.jpg

lxwklDH.jpg

e5TQsMD.jpg

oR2qjBN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well, if the the light change on a fairly gloomy day is barely noticeable with 92% of the sun blocked we could plunge into a solar ice age and hardly notice any change in the light!

An underwhelming experience here in Dublin. The birds didn't even notice it!

Totally different experience for me, also in Dublin. I thought it got very dark. The difference in light levels between 9:30 and 10:30 was pretty dramatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

16870576291_251d4f6901.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Location location location.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

JKBTk6x.jpg

76q7mSf.jpg

9wMdPp6.jpg

QiB3boj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭ForestFire

endacl wrote: »
    Because that'd be entirely pointless. And you'd look like a tool. With your face in a box. Looking at a washed out white screen.

If you do that, please post pics of you doing it so we can all have a giggle.

:)

And here someone with a cardbox box (Taken to the extreme) if you'd still like that giggle

http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-31981666

10th picture down when posting

"A homemade pin hole camera was spotted at Clifton Observatory in Bristol."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

For 16 seconds on April 11th 2442, from 09:33:35 to 09:33:51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

342550.jpg

342551.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Not only was Westport the place in Ireland with almost the greatest percentage coverage at ca. 94%, but the usual West of Ireland clouds cooperated, with great views on and off all the way from start to finish, with a perfect view at the maximum.

received_615746485192606.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well, if the the light change on a fairly gloomy day is barely noticeable with 92% of the sun blocked we could plunge into a solar ice age and hardly notice any change in the light!

An underwhelming experience here in Dublin. The birds didn't even notice it!

Exactly the same here. If I did't know it was happening I could not tell the difference here. Just like a normal cloudy rainy morning. I was expecting it to get alot darker. The one in 1999 was better from here but it was a 50/50 overcast day back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Exactly the same here. If I did't know it was happening I could not tell the difference here. Just like a normal cloudy rainy morning. I was expecting it to get alot darker. The one in 1999 was better from here but it was a 50/50 overcast day back then.

Got very cold..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Totally different experience for me, also in Dublin. I thought it got very dark. The difference in light levels between 9:30 and 10:30 was pretty dramatic.

Between 9.30 and 10.30 the sun was rising higher. The increased darkening from 9.00 to 9.30 was barely noticeable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

When will we have a total eclipse in Ireland?
    For 16 seconds on April 11th 2442, from 09:33:35 to 09:33:51

I can't wait - literally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

When will we have a total eclipse in Ireland?

I can't wait - literally :D

Its going to be cloudy that day

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Its going to be cloudy that day

For at least 20 seconds, anyway.

2442-04-11.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

A few shots from today's eclipse.

I drove from Dublin to Courtown in Wexford to get a better chance of clear skies. It was pretty dull at first but at 08:51 I got my first shots.

By 09:04 it had clouded over again but at about 09:30 the cloud cover lightened somewhat so that I was able (with sunglasses) to view the eclipse at its fullest but there wasn't enough light or time to get a shot.

That looked like the end of the show so I packed up and left.

On the way back to Dublin as I was passing Jack White's pub the skies cleared again and I got the rest of the eclipse from circa 10:10 onwards.

It also looks like I managed to capture a sunspot (upper left area of sun).

Overall, delighted that I saw my first eclipse and am reasonably happy with my first attempt at astrophotography.

Shots taken with a Celestron Astromaster 90 with a Nikon D3000 and a home-made solar filter.

1F4206BA1CEA4F32807B7FB25741B637-0000342868-0003743385-00800L-547645B238944574B90F7D3D839ED9F5.jpg

Advertisement