Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub-Ohm Tanks

• 02-03-2015 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

How are people finding the different sub tanks, any tips/findings etc.

I have the Subtank mini - I've only used the 1.2ohm coil so far - and the Atlantis - just on the first coil as well.

So far I'm leaning towards the subtank, but I'm not sure if I'm using the Atlantis right. I'm setting the mini at 22.5 on the widest airflow and get a lovely warmish vape and plenty of vapor. I tried some 80pg in it and had to empty it out but from 60pg seems fine. I have the Atlantis on the 3rd airflow and my 30w devices maxed out/mech on a fresh battery and it's not producing nearly as much vapor or flavour atm. It's a lot cooler and airier vape and the vapor production is really underwhelming. I don't really want to tighten the airflow and I'm thinking now it might need to be at 35w+ maybe to kick in? Pretty surprised at the performance so far, feel like I'm doing something wrong with it. I'd be a bit of an Aspire fanboy usually.

No problems with the Atlantis material so far for me, holding up fine with no problems. I find it makes a noise as if it's dry-burning after I release the fire button. Worried me a bit at the start but it's definitely not burning and I'm guessing it's the coil cooling? If I keep drawing after I stop firing it doesn't happen but I thought the general advice is Press-Draw-Release so am happy leaving it for the moment.

Just surprised really as the Kanger is winning on all fronts atm and I thought it would be Kanger=flavour, Atlantis=clouds generally.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I never tried the sub tank, but I have the Atlantis, and looked up some reviews before buying. General consensus seems to be that the sub tank performs better around 20 - 25w, where the Atlantis performs better 30w+

It's chucking out vapour for me, but also guzzling juice like there's no tomorrow! I may have to make it my weekend set up because if I keep going as I am I'll be spending more than I ever would on the cig's! :O

It's my first sub ohm tank, so I put it down a lot to me experimenting, and actually re-discovering juices too. I've been hitting high VG juices, some I wasn't sure about before, but now they're tasting delicious! [I was using a Nautilus up to now, and on side an iClear 30s]

I was using the largest/widest air-hole, and hitting up to 40w, on high VG, mostly dessert type juices. And it's pumping clouds ... so much that my missus walked in other day and thought I had burnt something in the oven only the smell confused her :D It was more like a nice shortbread pastry had been nicely cooked [G2 Mr Cookie]

I'll be closing the air-hole up a little, been dropping back to the second widest, and it gives a little less plume, but better flavour, and might not drink the juices so quickly!!

I'd like to try the sub tank, the 1.2 coil interests me for a more standard vape. The Atlantis only comes with 2 x 0.5 ohm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Pretty much agree with all this. Higher vg really seems to shine, it's hard to go back to pg. I can't buy juice anymore though, it's just not worth it for me. I think juice makers could redo their juices for higher watts if they wanted-they don't need as much nic or flavouring as they used to imo so can give more/lower prices. Flavour's so strong sometimes I actually find it a bit much, id be happy with juices that only have a hint of a flavour-a few drops of menthol etc. so am going to diy that way.

I can't believe I want a device with more than 30w though, never imagined that would happen.

30w is fine I would say! The only reason I go higher is because the device lets me, but 99% of the time I'm in around 30 with the Atlantis. It seems a sweet spot for me, at least with the current juices I use.

I went in search of high VG juices online yesterday, and was really surprised at the amount of listed juices on some sites that don't state the ratio. And also the amount of 50/50 - which is what I used to use a lot, but it's not what I'd like now. Reckon some of the ones not saying are high PG, 70/30 or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 noelyf

Took the plunge and bought an atlantis meself, vaping some "Enjoy Svapo" melon and absinthe between 25-30w on IPV mini. Flavour is amazing, lung hits have me lightheaded : ) High VG liquids bring out the best of this tank I think.

I was buying my usual 12mg strength when buying the tank, and was advised that I should drop to 6mg, or even 3mg, for sub ohm ... they weren't wrong. Even 6mg gives a wicked hit at higher watts. But definitely high VG is what you want to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Has anyone tried the Delta II tank yet? I have one on the way but interested in anyone's experiences.
    Also have the rba head coming for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 noelyf

I usually vape 18mg and the liquid in the Atlantis is 6mg, haven't noticed the drop at all. I'm tempted to try an 18mg liquid though :) just to see....................

Be wary! I tried some 12mg 'Cran-chi' yesterday, trying to spare the bit of 6mg claim your throne I had left. Well, it felt like I remember 24mg feeling in normal tanks! It was potent, first time I coughed vaping in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

I tried rewicking a Kanger sub ohm head twice yesterday, but it just burnt the wick both times.
    Don't understand how, maybe less wick? I packed the first one lightly, the second one more tightly, no difference, as soon as the primer juice was used up it instantly dry hit. (KoGenDoh) Anyone done this yet?

Didihno wrote: »
    I tried rewicking a Kanger sub ohm head twice yesterday, but it just burnt the wick both times.
    Don't understand how, maybe less wick? I packed the first one lightly, the second one more tightly, no difference, as soon as the primer juice was used up it instantly dry hit. (KoGenDoh) Anyone done this yet?

Yeah, this happened to me last night. Wasn't pleasant. Could feel the burn coming but just thought 'Maybe it'll fix itself'. No, no it won't.

I was amazed how much cotton was in the stock coil. Don't even know how I could manage to get close to that back in. Broke out the RBA today with the included coil, put what I thought was a lot of cotton in (but still nothing compared to the heads) which was a job in itself and it's working a treat. Nice surprise. I'm ppretty inexperienced with RTAs but this is my favourite so far by a distance. 'She's a-foggin it' etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Allan45121

Plenty of you folks keep asking me : hey al, why you not using that occ head in the subtank? ..... Hey al why you using that rba section on that subtank? hey al wheres the occ coil man? Well I've gotta tell you folks, The rba section is sick as t!ts, and defo chunks the vapour.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

Very quick initial thoughts on the Delta II.

Supplied heads throw out insane clouds even at 20watts...at 30 for me it is just too much.
    RBA head is easy enough to build. Just did a quick 1ohm coil with .40 wire. Lovely!

Build quality is very good. Have had no issue with any leaks and all my driptips fit no problem.

accaguest wrote: »
    Yeah, this happened to me last night. Wasn't pleasant. Could feel the burn coming but just thought 'Maybe it'll fix itself'. No, no it won't.

I was amazed how much cotton was in the stock coil. Don't even know how I could manage to get close to that back in. Broke out the RBA today with the included coil, put what I thought was a lot of cotton in (but still nothing compared to the heads) which was a job in itself and it's working a treat. Nice surprise. I'm ppretty inexperienced with RTAs but this is my favourite so far by a distance. 'She's a-foggin it' etc.
    I'm going to have to use the rba base until my replacement .5's come from Fasttech. How much cotton? was it packed so tight you feel like its going to pull the coil, or is it so you can easily pull the cotton from side to side?

Didihno wrote: »
    ... How much cotton? was it packed so tight you feel like its going to pull the coil..

Yeah, fairly wrenching it through. I probably put too much in tbh but it's working fine for me. I tried rewicking the stock coil last night with double the amount of cotton than before, pushed the wire around getting it in and then respaced it. Also poked the cotton into the head from the outside and then poked it out flush again from the inside as I read it helped with wicking. Working pretty good, no burnt hits at all anyway.

Riptrippers is pushing some 'pancake' wicking method for RBAs now. Seems to be the latest thing, i'll try it when i get the motivation.

Yeah, fairly wrenching it through. I probably put too much in tbh but it's working fine for me. I tried rewicking the stock coil last night with double the amount of cotton than before, pushed the wire around getting it in and then respaced it. Also poked the cotton into the head from the outside and then poked it out flush again from the inside as I read it helped with wicking. Working pretty good, no burnt hits at all anyway.

Riptrippers is pushing some 'pancake' wicking method for RBAs now. Seems to be the latest thing, i'll try it when i get the motivation.
    Hmm, I didn't chuck the head out so I'll try it again with more cotton tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

I have the Atlantis on the 3rd airflow and my 30w devices maxed out/mech on a fresh battery and it's not producing nearly as much vapor or flavour atm. It's a lot cooler and airier vape and the vapor production is really underwhelming.

The atlantis is a 0.5 ohm coil so it'll need more power than the coil you have in the subtank. For me the atlantis seems to perform well at 33 watts or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Anyone know where I could get some 1.2 ohm coils for the Aspire Atlantis apart from fastech?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

pueblo wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could get some 1.2 ohm coils for the Aspire Atlantis apart from fastech?

This vendor keeps 0.5 & 1.0ohm but they are out of stock,do no harm to contact them.

http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/atlantisheads.htm

Advertisement