Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Only Banks

Options
  • 02-03-2015 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hey,

Are there any Online Only Banks in Ireland? For current accounts?

I understand that Rabodirect is an online only savings bank, but I am interested to find out if there are Online Only banks offering current accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jrmb

KBC offers current accounts. It does have a few branches but they're cashless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Volovo wrote: »
    Hey,

Are there any Online Only Banks in Ireland? For current accounts?

I understand that Rabodirect is an online only savings bank, but I am interested to find out if there are Online Only banks offering current accounts.

It depends on what you mean when you say "online only bank".

Are you just after banks that offer no physical contacts point and solely operate online (none) or banks that might have have a sales point but no cash (KBC) or banks that have branches but allow you to open your account online (several).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Volovo wrote: »
    I am interested to find out if there are Online Only banks offering current accounts.

Are you non resident perhaps? or what exactly is prohibiting you going into a branch to open a current account?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

JTMan wrote: »
    Are you non resident perhaps? or what exactly is prohibiting you going into a branch to open a current account?

There is nothing stopping me opening an account in branch. I was just interested to find out if there were any online only banks. I thought perhaps without the overheads of actual branches there might be accounts with no fees / better rates etc.

I am graduating from college this year, and will be starting my first real job with proper salary so I'm looking into the best bank account option for me. Its not something I've thought about before.

Okay. There are 5 banks in Ireland that offer current accounts. None of their current account products are online-only.

Your best bet is PTSB who will give you free day-to-day banking provided you deposit at least 1,500 EUR per month into your current account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Realex Fire is an online bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Sheeps wrote: »
    Realex Fire is an online bank account.

Now I am not sure if you really can call it a bank account, it's currently lacking the ability of withdrawing cash via ATM. You still need another account to access cash. They also don't allow direct debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Now I am not sure if you really can call it a bank account, it's currently lacking the ability of withdrawing cash via ATM. You still need another account to access cash. They also don't allow direct debits.

Technically speaking though it's an online only bank account. It has a bic and iban.

Sheeps wrote: »
    Technically speaking though it's an online only bank account. It has a bic and iban.

Yes but a very limited online bank account with no debit cards, no credit cards, no cash banking, no branches, no ATM access, no deposit protection, no interest payments and very limited online facilities.

The OP is looking for a current account. Realex Fire is far from that.

Advertisement