Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour running a hostel

Options
  • 03-03-2015 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. Our next door neighbour appears to be running their home as a hostel.
    There's general between 5 and 15 people in the house at any time. New people arrive weekly.
    Its a standard 3 bed semi.

We don't mind so much but recently the guests have been getting louder and louder. Drinking in the garden til late, smoking in groups outside and making a lot of noise (as groups of drunk people tend to do...)

It's just after 11 and our house may as well be next door to a pub.

Is there any law around this type of activity in residential areas? I've googled the address and nothing comes back so I don't know how it's advertised. I've spoken with the owner and she doesn't care

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

That's a weird one. Not sure what options would be open to you beyond the noise complaint. In that case set aside a notepad and document every night that noise goes past the time of 10pm or 11pm, whichever is the legal time in residential areas.

The laws for the person who is using their house as a hostel would be regarding insurance and tax revenue I guess. If you would be able to do anything about those particular things, I don't know. Maybe get some advice from PRTB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Massive planning no no. Get on to the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Sounds like the neighbour might be running an Air BnB arrangement. Could you have a word about the noise?

I would certainly keep a diary and video footage/recordings if you can of the noise and people. I would then turn that over to the local authority as a noise nuisance, if the neighbour doesn't want to play ball.

I'm not sure what else you can do. AFAIK, it isn't a matter for the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Couch surfing for free accom in return that the house owner get free acc in their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Thanks for the advice.
    The owner is definitely not couch surfing and seems to run it as a business.

Last night there was a big lad with no top on singing and shouting in the garden while a few weeks others cheered him on :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Contact your local council. He is breaking a number of conditions applied to a residential house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭happysunnydays

Sounds like a student house..no? :confused:
    Take an arts degree, could be up to '*'freshers on that, gathering for intensive study sessions and darties, the majority still living at home so they all call round to the only students who are privately renting?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Planning Enforcement section of your council.
    They will need a complaint in writing from you by letter or email.

They may also pass it into Building Control as if it is a hostel the relevant fire safety cert and DAC may be be present.

Massive planning no no. Get on to the council.

How does airbnb work with planning so as its aimed at people rending rooms in their private residences?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

try the fire officer aswell.

• Advertisement

How does airbnb work with planning so as its aimed at people rending rooms in their private residences?

This clearly isn't an airBnB type situation. Even if it were and there was cause for complaint due to the number of people involved it would still be a planning issue if the someone is running a business from a residential home.

Airbnb is designed to have equivalent occupancy of a dwelling rather than 5 people sharing a room and the associated nuisance outlined by the OP. In essence it's short term rentals rather than a commercial hotel/hostel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

neris wrote: »
    try the fire officer aswell.

Hence my recommendation for Building Control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Revenue should also be contacted, because if they're unlawfully running a hostel out of their home, chances are they're not declaring the income.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Revenue should also be contacted, because if they're unlawfully running a hostel out of their home, chances are they're not declaring the income.

The OP has no proof that they're actually charging, though - to me it sounds more like couchsurfing than a hostel.

S/he also probably cannot provide the neighbour's PPSN, and might not even know their real name.

So a letter to Revenue might give emotional satisfaction, but it's unlikely to change the noise levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Its an elderly lady living there permanently with 10+ male/females in their 20s. There is one guy who acts like a sort of caretaker / supervisor and is always around. The rest change weekly or so.
    I'm not sure what other kind of arrangement it would be.

I'll talk to her again tomorrow then get onto the council if she's not willing to get them under control.

We don't actually mind the amount of people it's just this particular set are obnoxious with drinking in the garden and the constant smoking outside / overall loudness of it all.

It's coming up on 11 and there's 3 of them shouting away. I asked them to keep it down and they apologised and were quietly for a few minutes but it's slowly increased again :/

I do know there real name and have their company details from cro.ie

Careful of that! I've not heard of it here but in the UK cuckooing isn't uncommon where some auld one will get a load of junkies moving in or some tart taking advantage.

Definitely worth reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Advertisement