Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil leak (fragments in oil)

Options
  • 03-03-2015 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

1 year ago I bought a 2006 BMW 3 series (2l Petrol). Other than having to replace a coil, there have been no issues up until a few days ago.

It became apparent that oil was leaking quite heavily from the oil filter housing. The garage confirmed the oil levels were very low (1.5 l) and more importantly they told me small fragments of plastic or metal were found in the oil?!

The garage has since replaced the seals to stop the leak and added oil. What worries me is that they can't tell me how serious the problem is? They said this can only be done by disassembling the entire engine which is an expensive job. They speculated the fragments could originate from the timing belt. They said in some cases I would be better off getting a replacement 2nd hand engine??

I don't know what to do. The car sounded awful before and now it sounds better, but I have a feeling something is not right.

I have two questions.. 1. Can anyone make an educated guess given the limited information available? 2. Is there a diagnostics service out there which could assess the damage accurately?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

How could bits of timing belt end up in the engine oil? Its a seperate area altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Be a miracle if bits of timing belt were in there cos' it has a timing chain..

Probably best to take it to another garage for a second opinion..

Advertisement