Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

In my view, do standard wiring, but bring a neutral to each switch box . The lack of a neutral limits you to a restrictive set of modules otherwise.

I believe the whole automation world is going to migrate to wifi. All these intermediate solutions like zwave, knx etc will be swamped as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FionnanBurke

BoatMad wrote:
    I believe the whole automation world is going to migrate to wifi. All these intermediate solutions like zwave, knx etc will be swamped as a result

I agree, wifi control would be great and I hope to see it in the future. For now though, I'm quite pleased with z wave, but I only have a small set of devices, it's growing month by month though!

I agree, wifi control would be great and I hope to see it in the future. For now though, I'm quite pleased with z wave, but I only have a small set of devices, it's growing month by month though!

the Chinese are already going wifi controlled UK style wall switches for €35 euros , wifi controlled plugs are already here.

remember token ring , cromenco networking , no , all went the way of the dodo in the face of ethernet

all these " intermediate" technology closed solutions will go that way , Zwave Zigbee, KNX etc

I have $2 dollar chinese wifi modules on my desk , extremely good, id say the single chipset solution must be cents in volume

mass wifi about a year or two out. It will be in everything soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

@ Boat Mad - very interesting, any links to those wifi controlled light switches? had a quick look on ali and can only see the 433mhz ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

@ Boat Mad - very interesting, any links to those wifi controlled light switches? had a quick look on ali and can only see the 433mhz ones.

Is 433mhz problematic or what is it about it you seem to be unhappy with?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

far from it just interested in the new wifi driven ones

What make are they and what frequency do they operate on?

I'm based in Ireland though and a lot of the stuff I see out there is more American based unfortunately.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wallpad-EU-86-Standard-Crystal-Glass-Black-Wifi-Dimmer-Switch-Wireless-Remote-control-wall-Dimmer-touch/32297980837.html

Th problem with 433Mhz is many fold ( and I design with it ) . firstly only supports slow speeds, tends to me master slave or simple unidirectional, secondly its difficult to handle mesh networks .

most importantly because of lack of standards its proprietary, whereas Wifi based ( or more correctly TCP/IP based) is built on a set of protocols that are widely understood, free tools, etc.

Thirdly most people already have a wifi network at home , makes no sense to manage another one.

433 is great for simple cheapo stuff, not great for whole house systems

Its why most new Tech in home automation is forcing on Wifi.

ultimately 433, Zwave , Zigbee, will go the way of the do do bird, they were created because historically adding wifi interface was expensive comaprde to 433 etc. This is no longer the case

What make are they and what frequency do they operate on?

I'm based in Ireland though and a lot of the stuff I see out there is more American based unfortunately.

err, they are Wifi !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

BoatMad wrote: »
    err, they are Wifi !!

Id say the point is the relay will be 120v where he is looking.

LeBash wrote: »
    Id say the point is the relay will be 120v where he is looking.

he mentioned frequency !

maybe, needs to check the relay, easy things to replace, most are rated much higher then application needs

most of the Wifi stuff is coming out of China anyway as they have no interest in closed shops like Zwave

err, they are Wifi !!

I know that, but I was referring to brands & manufacturers when the OP mentioned "New WiFi"
    Originally Posted by eringobragh View Post

I'm on 220v -240v here and some devices I've looked at mention 433MHz or 868MHz.
    Devices communicate with each other over a point-to-point, low-bitrate radio link at 433MHz or 868MHz. This is proprietary protocol that is not compatible with other home automation technologies. These frequencies have quite good range but there is no mesh-networking employed to ensure coverage throughout your home. There are dumb repeaters to address coverage issues though.

cheers I wonder are they compatible with other systems you seem need the broadlink rm2 with this?

Advertisement