Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland buildup [MOD WARNING POST #8]

Comments

The aim - as I stated in the post you quoted - is about developing a more complete team. We're extremely difficult to break down at present and our kicking game has been brilliant, but we pose very little threat ball-in-hand. The stats I mentioned, display this fact extremely clearly. If we want to move to the next level as a team, we need to add another dimension to our game; improving our attack is an achievable means of doing so.

While the kick-chase gameplan suits many of the strengths of our player base. As long as the two most talented, established international class, outside backs in the country can't get a sniff, I don't believe that we are playing wholly to our strengths/potential.

I'd argue that your interpretation of what stats 'matter' are colouring your viewpoint significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Big Nelly wrote: »
    So you are going to replace a new centre partnership with a newer centre partnership and expect them to be able to just know how to play with each other?

Payne and Henshaw need game time together and as every good manager will say, get your defense right first and build from there.

There is no sense to this argument about putting Earls in, he is not even the form centre outside the current starting players, Fitzgerald is.

The constant moaning about Zebo not been in the team seems to be swapped now with constant moaning about Earls not been in the team......

If Earls gets into the team who is next? :confused:

Has there really been moaning?

A few posters have said that Earls and/or Fitz should be inlcuded but I haven't seen any real moaning.

This is a discussion board and posters are allowed post their opinion on team selcetions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

To be fair, most posters have argued that Fitz or Earls should be included at the expense of Jones, not Payne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Closed
    wittycynic wrote: »
    To be fair, most posters have argued that Fitz or Earls should be included at the expense of Jones, not Payne.
    This definitely the most prevailing opinion on here.

The Jones thing reminds me a lot of Dave Kearney last year. Many were calling for other player(s) to replace him, but he held onto the position and was a revelation. Unfortunately Jones being on the bench has meant we've seen very little of him, so the issue won't go away.

He clearly has to be doing something right, beyond the simple fact of being right footed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The aim - as I stated in the post you quoted - is about developing a more complete team. We're extremely difficult to break down at present and our kicking game has been brilliant, but we pose very little threat ball-in-hand. The stats I mentioned, display this fact extremely clearly. If we want to move to the next level as a team, we need to add another dimension to our game; improving our attack is an achievable means of doing so.

While the kick-chase gameplan suits many of the strengths of our player base. As long as the two most talented, established international class, outside backs in the country can't get a sniff, I don't believe that we are playing wholly to our strengths/potential.

That's very nice of you supporting Gilroy and Trimble........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Has the Thorndog made any predictions about changes to the team?

Thank god Gilroy doesn't play for another province. We wouldn't hear the end of it considering his try scoring recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Thank god Gilroy doesn't play for another province. We wouldn't hear the end of it considering his try scoring recently.

Not just the record but the footwork on some of them has been amazing to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

but I feel that we need to add another arrow to our quiver.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »

I reckon we'll see a lot more strings to the bow when we get the the French game in the pools

Joe is going to sign this guy as assistant attack coach:

Disney-robin-hood-help1280-1280x1024.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He has been in brillant form, but I don't think he conforms to Joe's style of play. Hopefully that will come as Trimble and Bowe won't go on forever.

B_5cCzTVAAA2ELc.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Closed
    Heaslip in at 8 and Jordi to the bench. Jones keeps his place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Well that was boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RK
    TB
    JP
    RH
    SZ
    JS
    CM
    JH
    SOB
    POM
    POC
    DT
    MR
    RB
    JMcG

SC
    CH
    MM
    IH
    JM
    ER
    IM
    FJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

no curveballs #schmidtout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Team as expected.

According to Joe, provincial form has little relevance to the international side due to the difference in the standard of rugby at both levels.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Swan Curry wrote: »
    no curveballs #schmidtout

That's the curveball :p

Team as expected.

According to Joe, provincial form has little relevance to the international side due to the difference in the standard of rugby at both levels.

I'm not watching the press conference but presumably that means the provincial form of one player in comparison to international form of another is of "little relevance". I'd have thought that was common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good on you Jonny, none of this twitter sh*te.

Team as expected.

In other words, if you are not already playing in the national team, you have no chance of getting into the team as how you play for your club is irrelevant. I'm sure that will be heartening for the likes of Fitzgerald, Earls, and Gilroy to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Noopti wrote: »
    Great stuff. Thanks for posting. I am hoping as the campaign continues, the myth about Payne not doing much will continue to be obliterated.

Don't get me wrong, brilliant player and doing exactly what is asked of him, but those stats don't mean much in terms of his abilities at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

In other words, if you are not already playing in the national team, you have no chance of getting into the team as how you play for your club is irrelevant. I'm sure that will be heartening for the likes of Fitzgerald, Earls, and Gilroy to hear.

In fairness, these players aren't stupid....they know a great showing versus Zebre/Dragons etc hardly compares with a solid showing in a 6 Nations match against England.

.ak wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, brilliant player and doing exactly what is asked of him, but those stats don't mean much in terms of his abilities at 13.

But he is following a gameplan. Presumably Fitzgerald, Earls or Cave would be asked to fulfil the same role. Would they do anything different? I suppose we would only know if they were selected.

I have a funny feeling we might see a bit more from Payne (and Ireland in general) this weekend.

Or

In other words, Joe picks a plan to beat a team - then pick the team to implement the plan.

It's actually not conservative. Being conservative just means picking all our best players all the time.

What Joe is doing is picking the players to do the job, generally speaking the ones that have had the benefit of the most time in camp are the ones most equipped to do the job.

Hence - provincial form is important, but international performance and time in camp is more important.

I would say it's incredibly heartening to know that if you learn your role and follow the plan you go into the selection window regardless of whether or not your the best player.

• Advertisement

I disagree , if those three players carry on their good form into the Champions Cup/Pro 12 run in/Play Offs then they will be in contention.

Team as expected.

Are you disagreeing with that?

Schmidt's logic is sound insofar as you can't compare performing well against the Dragons to performing well against England. This does not mean it's impossible to break into the team. If one of the players in the squad does not perform up to the required level then an opening will develop that provincial form can propel you into.

Put simply, if Fitz/Earls hadn't done enough to break into the squad before the start of the 6N, playing well against a weakened Dragons or Zebre team is hardly going to make their case.

Non twitter crap pic

11071781_874228312635097_7094870088452211864_n.jpg?oh=0a63c8ed28bdd7b2cfe1b610943b94e5&oe=55BA73FE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A giant marquee with Warren G's face on it will be erected
    S12b wrote: »
    In fairness, these players aren't stupid....they know a great showing versus Zebre/Dragons etc hardly compares with a solid showing in a 6 Nations match against England.

After last weekend...

Zebre/Dragons/your pick of the Irish provinces :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cave, earls, Fitzgerald and Gilroy were all part of the extended training squad before the competition....

they obviously didnt do enough then in training to warrant a place.

You CANNOT say they havent been given a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

bilston wrote: »
    I'm not watching the press conference but presumably that means the provincial form of one player in comparison to international form of another is of "little relevance". I'd have thought that was common sense.

Except with regards to Jones there's not really much to be said about his international form as he's only played a handful of minutes.

I'm not too concerned with Jones being on the bench when we're entering the final stages of games seeing out a lead, it's if we're losing and the camera pans to him warming up that it'll hit home how limited a player he is compared to Fitz and Earls.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rudiger2.0

Can anybody tell me who's playing at out-half? I can't make it out without the twitter name.

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me who's playing at out-half? I can't make it out without the twitter name.

No probs - it's Ian Keatley, he doesn't have a twitter account so that's why the picture and name looks like Sexton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

S12b wrote: »

spot on. Its like the raving about Zebo against Sale cementing his place in the irish team for Italy when it bore no relevance to selection.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Schmidt's logic is sound insofar as you can't compare performing well against the Dragons to performing well against England. This does not mean it's impossible to break into the team. If one of the players in the squad does not perform up to the required level then an opening will develop that provincial form can propel you into.

Put simply, if Fitz/Earls hadn't done enough to break into the squad before the start of the 6N, playing well against a weakened Dragons or Zebre team is hardly going to make their case.

It seems to be pretty impossible to break into the team.

From the outset Joe's preferred 15 was:

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. O'Connell
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. D'arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

The only instance of a change based on form is D'arcy being dropped for Henshaw. O'Driscoll retired, Trimble is injured, and Healy isn't match fit. Other than that he has dropped everyone for his preferred starting 15 at the first available opportunity and there seems to be little question that club form doesn't matter much to Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Imagine the conversation:-

"Hello"

"SEXTOOOO, it's Rurrrrry from IRFU online mooooorkeshing. Loike we've got a abso fab idea for the teamsheet, royt, loike instead of players names, because you're all such a bunch of ledge-hammers, we'll totes put in your twitter account names, what's yours?"

"My name is Jonathan Sexton"

<click>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. O'Connell
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. D'arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

The only instance of a change based on form is D'arcy being dropped for Henshaw. O'Driscoll retired, Trimble is injured, and Healy isn't match fit. Other than that he has dropped everyone for his preferred starting 15 at the first available opportunity and there seems to be little question that club form doesn't matter much to Joe.

Have any of the remaining players played badly enough to be dropped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

1. Healy
    2. Best
    3. Ross
    4. Toner
    5. O'Connell
    6. O'Mahony
    7. O'Brien
    8. Heaslip
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Trimble
    12. D'arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Bowe
    15. Kearney

or it could be thats the best 15 available to begin the game to execute his gameplan.

What other change to his preferred starting team do you think form merited?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

bilston wrote: »
    But he is following a gameplan. Presumably Fitzgerald, Earls or Cave would be asked to fulfil the same role. Would they do anything different? I suppose we would only know if they were selected.

I have a funny feeling we might see a bit more from Payne (and Ireland in general) this weekend.

Yes, I think Payne has a massive ceiling. I'm just hoping we can see what he's capable of in terms of movement and distribution sooner than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Someone has already said it best - Ireland've won 10 games on the trot - and all but two of the 16 or so played under Schmidt's leadership. Of those two, the game against England I recall being one where they actually played very well, and the loss was simply to a very good team. Apparently Ireland also played New Zealand, but I can't find any reference to that one anywhere. So, of course we're not seeing much in the way of changes to the XV, or the 23 - and indeed, it's probably why we've not seen a huge variation in tactics either. I suspect the August friendlies will be an opportunity, like the Wolfhounds, for a bit of experimentation, but who knows, the more a consistent, winning team plays together, the better imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

MJohnston wrote: »
    Someone has already said it best - Ireland've won 10 games on the trot - and all but two of the 16 or so played under Schmidt's leadership. Of those two, the game against England I recall being one where they actually played very well, and the loss was simply to a very good team. Apparently Ireland also played New Zealand, but I can't find any reference to that one anywhere.

Australia in 2013 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Nim wrote: »
    Australia in 2013 too.

You're right. I'd tend to write that Samoa tour off tbh, for the obvious reasons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Damn! i thought Joe would have put out a team that would have us scoring 10 tries per game! Such a negative team there must be only 10 or so world class players in that team sheet.

Nah but in all seriousness,very strong team without many if any defensive weak links. Sean O'Brien and Heaslip back up forward also is a huge welcome.

Roof OPEN, @IrishRugby team news and views of Rob Howley. All happening on our live blog >> http://bit.ly/1b3Rbiz

A reminder in case you missed it earlier of Rob Howley's quotes on the roof...
    “It will be open,” he said.
    “We have taken the decision it will be open. We wanted to know sooner rather than later.
    “The weather forecast is pretty good for the weekend and something we will look forward to.
    “I am not sure when it was the last time but this is the first time in our coaching regime since 2008 we have decided to have it open.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I feel sorry for Tommy O'Donnell, he's been excellent when he's played this year, but that's the best team we can put out. Should be a cracking game.

I'd love to see what the team would be like in the alternate universe where Fitzgerald has been playing injury free since the last six nations and playing to his best.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I'd love to see what the team would be like in the alternate universe where Fitzgerald has been playing injury free since the last six nations and playing to his best.

it would probably look something like this

11071781_874228312635097_7094870088452211864_n.jpg?oh=0a63c8ed28bdd7b2cfe1b610943b94e5&oe=55BA73FE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement