Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales vs Ireland buildup [MOD WARNING POST #8]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A giant marquee with Warren G's face on it will be erected
    freyners wrote: »
    Have to say im disappointed Walsh is out for this. Some of the most exciting games in rugby happen under him and theres a good reason for that. After Owens id take him over any other ref (that im familiar with) out there at the moment

I think Walsh is very good these days. He has much improved with time. The main thing is not to be cheeky with him, else the policeman in him comes out, but IMO he's definitely a better ref than Wayne Barnes. He's very clear and precise, and tends to ref both sides the exact same way which is the most important thing.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order: Owens, Joubert, Walsh, Garcès, and I guess either Barnes or Peyper are the top 5 refs IMO, but the latter two definitely in 5th position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Swiwi. wrote: »
    You can never trust an Aussie ;)

I thought he was a Kiwi ;)

Or is it just that all Kiwis really want to be Aussies? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think Walsh is very good these days. He has much improved with time. The main thing is not to be cheeky with him, else the policeman in him comes out, but IMO he's definitely a better ref than Wayne Barnes. He's very clear and precise, and tends to ref both sides the exact same way which is the most important thing.

Off the top of my head and in no particular order: Owens, Joubert, Walsh, Garcès, and I guess either Barnes or Peyper are the top 5 refs IMO, but the latter two definitely in 5th position.

I don't rate Garces personally, think he's a bit weak in terms of conviction but agree with the others. I'm a fan of Jackson too, despite a messy Welsh/Scotland game.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I thought he was a Kiwi ;)

Or is it just that all Kiwis really want to be Aussies? :P

Are they not the same thing? :confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The key difference for me is empathy or lack thereof.

Barnes is probably the most technically accurate referee amongst that list, but he seems to lack empathy with the game and as a result games he ref's lack flow and tend to be very stop/start and you get the sense that players get frustrated with his pedantry over certain things..

I'd agree with your top five and the thing they are all better at is communications...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    I'm a fan of Jackson too, despite a messy Welsh/Scotland game.

I was a fan of his too. Being an ex pro is bound to stand to him. That said that Scotland Wales game has badly botted his copybook in my eyes.

There is a good young ref in the Premiership, he did the Ulster v Leinster game at Ravenhill last where he sent Court off. He also did a European game for Ulster this season. Luke Pearce maybe? Anyway he seems like he might be an up and comer in the officiating stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A giant marquee with Warren G's face on it will be erected
    bilston wrote: »
    I was a fan of his too. Being an ex pro is bound to stand to him. That said that Scotland Wales game has badly botted his copybook in my eyes.

I had great hopes for him. Jury is out for me now. He's made some very dodgy calls in a number of games I've watched (ITM, Super Rugby, international rugby) mostly in the last 10 minutes of games. In fairness to him, he was promoted exceptionally quickly, no doubt owing to his previous efforts at playing the game, so I think he will continue to improve. I'd say he'll end up very good, but shouldn't get more than RWC pool games at this stage, and not important ones at that rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Read this today. it was followed by a "Gets coat"
    There will be no Biggar test for Wales this 6 Nations and they will need to produce their Best performance of the competition so far to win. Sexton's kicking will have to be again as precise as an Indian with a Bowe and arrow. With a North wind expected the Welsh will be looking to weave a Webb around Ireland's half back pairing . Ireland on the other hand will try and set the Toner as early as possible and inflict as much Payne as possible . All the fans can ask for is a classic on the scale of The Henshawshank Redemption and we will be in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Big Nelly wrote: »
    2 more matches and he is gone

I will actually miss him

Is he retiring?

Watchin last years game again. Love mornings like those:) A few things struck me. Firstly I miss BO'D! Secondly im delighted we have Henshaw!
    Was surprised by the amount of ball we didn't kick from our 22 in the 1st 15 mins. Put the ball through the hands. then I got into the scrums...

Healy, Best, Ross / Jenkins, Hibbard, Jones v Wayne Barnes
    2min: Ire ball; Wal win pen (Scrum reset. Pen against Healy?) No explanation from Barnes
    24min: Ire ball; Ire win pen (Reset, Pen v Jenkins) No clear explanation as to whom he penalised
    38min: Wal ball; FK Wal (Early engagement)
    51min: Wal ball; Ire get nudge, Wal get it out. 1st completed scrum!
    FR: Moore on for Ross
    54min: Ire ball; (Reset. Pen v Moore) Barnes indicates collapse and binding of arm?
    FR: Owens for Hibbard. R Jones for A Jones
    60min: Ire ball; Good scrum.
    62min: Ire ball; Another good scrum.
    FR: McGrath for HEaly 67min. James for Jenkins 70min. Cronin for Best 72min
    69min: Wal ball; Great scrum Ire. Falatau rescues it.
    74min: Ire ball; Ire get the nudge.
    76min: Wal ball; Ire get nudge, Wal get it out.
    Ireland won 4 of their 6 scrums and took no ball from Wales.

I still am slightly worried about Barnes for this match. Particularly at scrum time. Ireland had the advantage last yr and expect the same again. Albeit McGrath will prob start again and Lee and Baldwin for Wales.

Wales were easily beaten last year. Don't expect the same this year. Lions hooker couldn't thro straight. Lions capt wasn't match sharp or very capt like. Lions SH was rigor mortis like (except his mouth). And Preistland was the 10.

• Advertisement

Cant see Wales getting the "front-foot ball" they require on Sat. McGeechan talking about it here.
    All of Wales’ carriers will need to carry accurately to ensure that they have front-foot ball and they will need to build momentum as they go through phases, something England failed to do as every breakdown was challenged and the ball slowed and then Ireland’s line speed meant that the first tackles were behind the gain line.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/11456593/Six-Nations-Wales-will-not-make-the-mistakes-England-did-against-Ireland.html

Henshaw could be topping the tackle count for the 4th consecutive game. He is fast becoming indispensable! Hard to believe he is still only 21!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

This past weekends's results don't augur well for this coming weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

There is pretty much no relationship between the two things, how the provinces perfom and Ireland do, have never born relation to each other!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They've been lured into a false sense of security.

Last weekend it was 4 - 0 to the Welsh

Next weekend it'll be 40-0 to the Irish

:cool:

They won't have any impact at all.

It's not good for the provinces, but we still have 3 teams in the top 5 where as Wales have 1. Had Connacht not been robbed it would be 4 in the top 6 as far as I know?

I'm not going to doubt our team. We're in serious shape at the moment and we're very hard to break down. Ireland will show up and perform, Wales will need to play smarter and better than they have in a long time to produce a victory.

I don't think it will be the 26 - 3 drubbing we handed them last year, but I still think we are going to win by more than 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They won't have any impact at all.

It's not good for the provinces, but we still have 3 teams in the top 5 where as Wales have 1. Had Connacht not been robbed it would be 4 in the top 6 as far as I know?

I'm not going to doubt our team. We're in serious shape at the moment and we're very hard to break down. Ireland will show up and perform, Wales will need to play smarter and better than they have in a long time to produce a victory.

I don't think it will be the 26 - 3 drubbing we handed them last year, but I still think we are going to win by more than 8.

Added to the fact that basically nobody who is playing Wales played in the Pro 12 this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

This weekend only highlighted to me again that Wales are missing a trick by not picking Scott Williams ahead of Jamie Roberts.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Read this today. it was followed by a "Gets coat"
    There will be no Biggar test for Wales this 6 Nations and they will need to produce their Best performance of the competition so far to win. Sexton's kicking will have to be again as precise as an Indian with a Bowe and arrow. With a North wind expected the Welsh will be looking to weave a Webb around Ireland's half back pairing . Ireland on the other hand will try and set the Toner as early as possible and inflict as much Payne as possible . All the fans can ask for is a classic on the scale of The Henshawshank Redemption and we will be in for a treat.

Lets get Murray drunk if we win. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This weekend only highlighted to me again that Wales are missing a trick by not picking Scott Williams ahead of Jamie Roberts.

I think Roberts has very effective for them in the last two games. Scott Williams is a really good player but I don't think he'll ever get ahead of Roberts or Davies at any point in the next couple of years. Both continue to play quite well in red. Roberts dominated the collisions against France, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I think Roberts has very effective for them in the last two games. Scott Williams is a really good player but I don't think he'll ever get ahead of Roberts or Davies at any point in the next couple of years. Both continue to play quite well in red. Roberts dominated the collisions against France, for example.

Williams' contract with Scarlets is done in 2016. I can see him going to France or England if he is still behind the incumbents.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Wales will need to play smarter and better than they have in a long time to produce a victory.

Personally I think if Wales play at the level they played at against New Zealand in the autumn that will be good enough to win ........ I don't see why that shouldn't be possible either.

On another note I'd be fairly happy if Ireland's intention is to kick it down our throats for the afternoon ...... I think Wales are capable of coping with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i am very worried about this sat . i think we really need a good start. if wales get their tails up it could be a long day! if the game ends in a draw how does that pan out ? a draw could be a great bet! wales are going to start at 100 mile an hour id say. ireland have to just soak it up and not concede an early try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i am very worried about this sat . i think we really need a good start. if wales get their tails up it could be a long day! if the game ends in a draw how does that pan out ? a draw could be a great bet! wales are going to start at 100 mile an hour id say. ireland have to just soak it up and not concede an early try.
    If its a draw then Ireland will take the championship with a win over scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Closed
    Personally I think if Wales play at the level they played at against New Zealand in the autumn that will be good enough to win ........ I don't see why that shouldn't be possible either.

On another note I'd be fairly happy if Ireland's intention is to kick it down our throats for the afternoon ...... I think Wales are capable of coping with that.

I don't know. I had Ireland down to beat England by 10 and I rate England higher than I do Wales. It will take a monumental effort by Wales or a new ploy or Ireland to play badly. I just don't see any of those happening. That it's in Cardiff opens up the possibility that Wales will keep it to within 10 but my guess is that it'll be a little more, maybe 12-13.

Of course it's a game of rugby and anything can and sometimes does happen but logic suggests that Ireland will do a number on Wales this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I'd be surprised if we kicked nearly as much to your back three. I do expect more territorially kicking, as well as chips behind to slow down the Welsh line speed which is normally very quick.

I think this will all come down to how Henshaw goes against Roberts. If Roberts can get same go forward ball, Ireland will struggle. I don't think he will though with Sexton and Henshaw in the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Down your throats then yes, but remember last year we used a tactical kicking game against you guys to great success by targeting the area behind your defensive line but just outside your 22 (and therefore in front of your back 3). It had you on the back foot for most of the game because you simply weren't able to get into it at all. You couldn't kick straight to touch but your back 3 were also coming under pressure from our chasers so couldn't run it either.

Sangre wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if we kicked nearly as much to your back three. I do expect more territorially kicking, as well as chips behind to slow down the Welsh line speed which is normally very quick.

I think this will all come down to how Henshaw goes against Roberts. If Roberts can get same go forward ball, Ireland will struggle. I don't think he will though with Sexton and Henshaw in the line.
    For me the key areas for Wales are the line out and the breakdown. If our line out performs (both attacking and defensive) and we maintain good order at the breakdown we'll be in good shape. I expect our scrum to go OK.

Deny Ireland cheap territory should be the name of the game. People hark on about Warrenball and no plan B but I'm not convinced Ireland can just switch to a ball in hand style of game if they have to e.g. If they are not getting sufficient ROI from kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Anyone else fed up with the Irish Independent posting stories around "X countries media thinks we're really good"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

For me the key areas for Wales are the line out and the breakdown. If our line out performs (both attacking and defensive) and we maintain good order at the breakdown we'll be in good shape. I expect our scrum to go OK.

Deny Ireland cheap territory should be the name of the game. People hark on about Warrenball and no plan B but I'm not convinced Ireland can just switch to a ball in hand style of game if they have to e.g. If they are not getting sufficient ROI from kicking.

This too would be a concern of mine. Our game is based on good line speed, especially in the kick chase, and dominance at the breakdown. If we don't manage to clearly win the breakdown or the aerial battle, we then have to force it wide more often and try to create line breaks. Unfortunately we've seen nothing to suggest that our backs are capable of breaking down defences.

With that said, we've seen nothing to suggest that we won't get the return at the breakdown and the dominance up front we need either. Especially in the third quarter, last Sunday we were steamrolling the much-vaunted English pack. If we can do to Wales what we did to the English up front, we should win this one.

Set piece and breakdown is the name of the game alright. I feel Ireland have superior line-out and scrum(maybe?) and the whole Irish squad are now breakdown specialists! It will be fascinating to see how it plays out. But I wager Ireland have the greater intensity and smarts to come out on top in the set-piece, breakdown and territory game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sangre wrote: »

Agreed - Roberts made hay against France because their defensive pattern is tailor made for him - They don't blitz , their line speed is poor and they tend to allow the attack to come at them..

All right up Roberts/Wales street - Big part of the reason Wales have gone so well vs. France for a number of years.

The Irish defense (and the English for that matter) Blitz and generally have very good line speed which negates a lot of what Roberts brings - Henshaw will have to be on his mettle though as Roberts is still a fine player and more than capable of breaking the line if tackles are not spot on..

In terms of kicking , I suspect what we'll see is less of kicking to contest and more of kicking to turn the Welsh back three, especially North (Williams is a far better player than Cuthbert so doubt we'll see a huge amount kicked at him)..

We'll fancy our chances against the Welsh lineout so will be happier to let the ball go over Norths head and have him pressured into touch etc. and for us to then contest and put pressure on at the lineout deep in their half..

Think we'll win by a bit more than a score, maybe an 8-10 point margin but if we do as we've done vs. France and England and ease back in the last 15 minutes or so anything less than a 15 point buffer at that stage will make for a very tense close to the game....

molloyjh wrote: »
    Down your throats then yes, but remember last year we used a tactical kicking game against you guys to great success by targeting the area behind your defensive line but just outside your 22 (and therefore in front of your back 3). It had you on the back foot for most of the game because you simply weren't able to get into it at all. You couldn't kick straight to touch but your back 3 were also coming under pressure from our chasers so couldn't run it either.
    Last year was a poor performance made rotten by some inept play from our halfbacks who thankfully will not be starting this weekend.

Priestland gift wrapped your first try (the pivotal moment of the game) by taking the worst of the three options available to him. He also made a few other high profile errors ..... One from a RK penalty which was flying out for example.

I expect our back three to be lot smarter on Saturday.

wittycynic wrote: »
    This too would be a concern of mine. Our game is based on good line speed, especially in the kick chase, and dominance at the breakdown. If we don't manage to clearly win the breakdown or the aerial battle, we then have to force it wide more often and try to create line breaks. Unfortunately we've seen nothing to suggest that our backs are capable of breaking down defences.

With that said, we've seen nothing to suggest that we won't get the return at the breakdown and the dominance up front we need either. Especially in the third quarter, last Sunday we were steamrolling the much-vaunted English pack. If we can do to Wales what we did to the English up front, we should win this one.
    I agree with most of that but I don't think you'll find the Welsh pack will be as squeamish as the English were when it comes to the loose ball battle ........ I hope not anyway!

Clearlier wrote: »
    I don't know. I had Ireland down to beat England by 10 and I rate England higher than I do Wales. It will take a monumental effort by Wales or a new ploy or Ireland to play badly. I just don't see any of those happening. That it's in Cardiff opens up the possibility that Wales will keep it to within 10 but my guess is that it'll be a little more, maybe 12-13.

Of course it's a game of rugby and anything can and sometimes does happen but logic suggests that Ireland will do a number on Wales this weekend.

Don't see Ireland scoring many tries. We got 2 in last years game. Hopefully Sexton can utilise some of the overlaps that have been available in previous games (France in particular). Im confident Ireland will win but I cant see it been by more than 10. Id go for 7 or less.

Anyone else fed up with the Irish Independent posting stories around "X countries media thinks we're really good"

FYP :P

Closed
    Don't see Ireland scoring many tries. We got 2 in last years game. Hopefully Sexton can utilise some of the overlaps that have been available in previous games (France in particular). Im confident Ireland will win but I cant see it been by more than 10. Id go for 7 or less.

If we manage 2 tries then we'll win by more than 10. Given that we've only managed 3 so far this tournament and 2 of those against Italy it's reasonable to wonder if we can. I think that we'll see a little more of the wraparound plays in midfield this weekend though and we could well get those two tries. If we don't get any tries then 7 or less is probably more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Closed
    Any update on the roof?

I'm amazed that people are going on about tries to the extend they are. In some ways I think it shows how the rest of the rugby world views Ireland now that we have had a good run.

"We're not scoring tries", "people are losing interest in rugby", "we're too defensive etc etc". To be honest, If England were winning like this, people would be talking about how tough the English pack has become and how solid they are defensively.

The fact that Ireland are starting to look like world beaters couldn't be because we are a hard working well organised team. It's because were boring and negative and not playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

Hanson jumping on the Wales Bandwagon was a big frustrating too.

Closed
    Any update on the roof?

It'll work out as it always does. Wales will say that they want it closed, Ireland will say no and it will be left open. Gatland will then start using this to try and play mind games talking to the media about how Wales are the only team that want to play rugby etc..

BTW - have read in more than one place that handling is very difficult when the roof is closed as humidity rises due to the sheer number of people in the stadium making the ball very slippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wittycynic

Clearlier wrote: »
    It'll work out as it always does. Wales will say that they want it closed, Ireland will say no and it will be left open. Gatland will then start using this to try and play mind games talking to the media about how Wales are the only team that want to play rugby etc..

BTW - have read in more than one place that handling is very difficult when the roof is closed as humidity rises due to the sheer number of people in the stadium making the ball very slippy.

Surely that would be motivation for us to want it closed. Difficult to field ball and more knock ons would suit us, right?

• Advertisement

I'm amazed that people are going on about tries to the extend they are. In some ways I think it shows how the rest of the rugby world views Ireland now that we have had a good run.

"We're not scoring tries", "people are losing interest in rugby", "we're too defensive etc etc". To be honest, If England were winning like this, people would be talking about how tough the English pack has become and how solid they are defensively.

The fact that Ireland are starting to look like world beaters couldn't be because we are a hard working well organised team. It's because were boring and negative and not playing the game the way it's meant to be played.

im delighted we are winning!!! Just don't see Ireland scoring many tries on Sat based on whats gone before. Don't care about all the negative stuff been bandied about. Just keep winning lads!!

Closed

I think that it's reasonable to mention in the context of discussing what the final score might be :).

To be fair when England played like this they did get lambasted for playing boring rugby.

I think that Hansen's point about the game favouring defence ahead of attack is about right. It's not like Schmidt can't set up teams to attack, it's just that he's analysed the way that rugby is being refereed and the strengths of his team and is setting up his team accordingly. If the odds favoured attack more I think that you'd see Ireland scoring more tries.

I don't really think that there are that many Irish people worried about the lack of tries. Winning supercedes everything else for most people. Most of the noise is coming from other countries starting to feel a bit threatened by our success.

Don't forget we're cheats!

Closed
    wittycynic wrote: »
    Surely that would be motivation for us to want it closed. Difficult to field ball and more knock ons would suit us, right?

Hardly, and aside from anything else nobody is likely to let Wales close the roof again, the conditions under a closed roof are different to a wet or a dry day and Wales have more experience than anyone else of how to play those conditions - why would you give them that advantage?

I'd have to go back and analyse the game properly but I think that we actually keep the ball in hand at least as much as other teams..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'm laughing at the butthurt reaction by this journo Howells to Brett Gosper's tweet.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/you-must-apologise-world-rugby-8805293

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Don't forget we're cheats!

Dangerous cheats at that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I'm laughing at the butthurt reaction by this journo Howells to Brett Gosper's tweet.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/you-must-apologise-world-rugby-8805293

I bet the Aussies didn't even notice, which speaks volumes

With Heaslip now back into full training (Freak). I wonder does he come straight back in for Murphy? I would stick with Murphy just because he played so well last day. Even though normal logic doesn't apply to JH im sure he would find it hard to come back this Sat sharp enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Closed
    With Heaslip now back into full training (Freak). I wonder does he come straight back in for Murphy? I would stick with Murphy just because he played so well last day. Even though normal logic doesn't apply to JH im sure he would find it hard to come back this Sat sharp enough.

I'd agree, keep Murphy in the starting lineup, hold Heaslip in reserve as an impact sub with 20 minutes to go.

if its not broken, don't fix it.

• Advertisement

I'd agree, keep Murphy in the starting lineup, hold Heaslip in reserve as an impact sub with 20 minutes to go.

if its not broken, don't fix it.

Its funny. Never thought id hear "Heaslip" and "sub" in the same sentence!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement