Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

vrt

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I recently paid €510 VRT bill, wrote a letter and received €210 back.

With the exception of clerical error by the Revenue, the numbers don't stack up.

The bare minimum VRT on a 2005 Colt would be 18% on a 1.5 Diesel falling in band B1. Other Colts could be B2, C & D bands.

Now the only way I can see to get a round €300 bill is for the car is:

a) it was (wrongly) put in band A2 @15%
    b) the Revenue have a new minimum VRT amount for band B1 (which they don't)
    c) the Revenue paid €60 extra (which I can't see either as they don't pay out costs on top of an appeal.
    d) the €210 rebate was on €570, leaving a €360 balance.

Which one was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 johndbee66

I will appeal and let you know how i get on. AS the saying goes, a dumb priest never got a parish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

I give up..... who on earth said anything about it being a frickin diesel?

Checking my records...here are the starting figures....

On 24.06.10 I paid €510 VRT on a 2005 Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (05-MH-xxxxx). This was calculated at 18% of €2833 OMSP as deemed by VRT office.

The subsequent appeal letter was down to the condition of the car. You obviously do not believe me regarding the appeal process so I am leaving it here. The old saying of leading the horse to the water is very apt here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks for the clarification.

Good luck, johndbee66!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I'm not doubting you got money back from an appeal miller_63.

I'm wanting an explanation of the how the figures stack up, because what you are saying and what the Revenue state are at odds with each other.

You have finally clarified that this Colt was in Band B1 @18%.

You state that you got €210 back.

The Revenue state the minimum VRT on a Band B1 is €360.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt-appeals.html

They have specified minimums VRT amounts which are percentages of minimum 2,000 OMSP.

Why does the Revenue pay back €60 more than they need to, thus charging you €60 less than the minimum?

I'm not saying it didn't happen. I'm saying suggesting it's a pen-pusher FU, as if procedure had been followed by all their own internal guides €360 is what it should have been.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

Dades wrote: »
    The Revenue may claim their quotes are based on market value, but clearly they are not.

Market value in any actual meaning of the term is determined by all the factors that the Revenue ignore.

Revenue are like everything else in Ireland,unqualified people carrying out tasks or someone who got a job 30years ago and never bothered keeping up to date

X type jag diesel 2005 Vrt last June 400e
    Vrt for the exact same car in October 820e

We need to sack basically everyone in government jobs and give them a chance to Re apply,it would be worth it to have competent people dealing with tasks doing their job 100% not some fool who just makes it up as go along..

We Irish are a awful lazy bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Have you considered writing an opinion piece for The Daily Mail Arthur?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Have you considered writing an opinion piece for The Daily Mail Arthur?

I'm not getting your logic

Advertisement