Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unseizing my Seatpost.

• 03-03-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I previously posted asking about "how would I unseize my carbon seatpost" in my titanium frame.I tried a lot of the suggestions but to no avail.It was slightly (I don't know if "corroded" is the correct word) but definitely stuck solid. I even fitted an old saddle and used a lot of leverage with it to no avail. My last resort was actually quite simple and a bit obvious really come to think of it. I just worked the process the opposite way.I removed the saddle and the wheels. I placed the bike frame upsidedown locking the head of the seatpost in the jaws of a wood lined bench vice.I now had a whole frame as leverage instead of an old saddle.Even so it took a lot of pulling and pushing in a twisting motion to eventually "crack" the seal with a mighty cracking sound(plenty of weetabix that morning.After that initial crack I just kept twisting the frame in opposite directions bit by bit and also lifting at the same time and out the seatpost came. I cleaned the post and refitted it and used it ever since no problem.
    Hopefully this might be of use to someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I hope you used a carbon paste on it when you refitted it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Just posting about my recent experience with the dreaded seized seatpost. First of all it was my own stupid fault. I have a boardman Team Carbon frame with alloy post. I did put a little carbon paste when initially adjusting the height of the seatpost but after the initial fit I didn't budge it for 4-5 months(i've been told this should be done every 1-2 months).

I purchased a new bike and was in the process of selling the boardman when I discovered the seatpost was seized. I scoured this forum and others for possible solutions and tried all of them without success. Any of the bike shops I contacted were extremely reluctant or point blank refused to attempt anything lest they damage the carbon frame, which is very understandable. Fortunately while scouring the internet for answers I discovered John Lee (THE SEAT POSTMAN). He's based in Chorley in Lancashire. I emailed john and included a few pictures of the frame and seatpost. He quickly emailed back and said he could free the post but there was a strong likelihood that the post would be damaged. Posted the bike over, he got the seatpost out(damaged as he predicted) and sent the bike back to me the next day(no frame damage). His fee was 60 and postage worked out around the same so 120/euro156 total. Plus the cost of a new seatpost.

Most people will probably get their seatpost loose eventually but to those that can't this option is definitely worth considering.

Quickpip wrote: »
    Just posting about my recent experience with the dreaded seized seatpost. First of all it was my own stupid fault. I have a boardman Team Carbon frame with alloy post. I did put a little carbon paste when initially adjusting the height of the seatpost but after the initial fit I didn't budge it for 4-5 months(i've been told this should be done every 1-2 months).

I purchased a new bike and was in the process of selling the boardman when I discovered the seatpost was seized. I scoured this forum and others for possible solutions and tried all of them without success. Any of the bike shops I contacted were extremely reluctant or point blank refused to attempt anything lest they damage the carbon frame, which is very understandable. Fortunately while scouring the internet for answers I discovered John Lee (THE SEAT POSTMAN). He's based in Chorley in Lancashire. I emailed john and included a few pictures of the frame and seatpost. He quickly emailed back and said he could free the post but there was a strong likelihood that the post would be damaged. Posted the bike over, he got the seatpost out(damaged as he predicted) and sent the bike back to me the next day(no frame damage). His fee was 60 and postage worked out around the same so 120/euro156 total. Plus the cost of a new seatpost.

Most people will probably get their seatpost loose eventually but to those that can't this option is definitely worth considering.

That's quite an expensive option!

I remove, clean and re-apply Carbon paste on both my bikes every few months...just to be sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

I don't know much about this and just stumbled across this forum. But how in the Lord God is it so hard to take out the seat post ? And in doing so could damage a frame worth a lot of money.

I don't know much about this and just stumbled across this forum. But how in the Lord God is it so hard to take out the seat post ? And in doing so could damage a frame worth a lot of money.

The alloy corrodes through getting wet etc and reacts with the carbon forming a tough bond.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

The alloy corrodes through getting wet etc and reacts with the carbon forming a tough bond.

So is it a design flaw / wrong material used ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,833 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's a problem with steel bikes too. You're supposed to grease the post (on steel bikes anyway) before putting it into the frame, but manufacturers sometimes skip this step, or the bike shop, or whoever is supposed to do it.

Also happens to cars: the wheels sometimes end up stuck to the axle. You're also supposed to apply some grease before installing the wheels to stop "fusing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭koutoubia

360 cycles in Clontarf can get seized posts free but it requires drilling the post out with an expandable drill bit.
    I think they charge about 60 but may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

Quickpip wrote: »

That's quite an expensive option!

I remove, clean and re-apply Carbon paste on both my bikes every few months...just to be sure.
    I suppose the cost is subjective. I had a new bike bought and if I wanted to sell the old bike I had no other option. After selling the bike(Minus the costs of the repair and the 2nd post of ebay) I was left with 410 Stg which helped with quite a few bills. For those with much more expensive bikes this option is definitely worth considering should they have this mishap.
    Kudos to you for loosening your seatposts regularly, time very well spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

my seatpost hasn't been touched since i bought the bike and had a bike fit 2 years ago! and i'm planning on taking it abroad later this year. hmmm, this thread frightens me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭hesker

Just check the seatpost. If it's not stuck apply some anti-seize. There's different kinds of paste depending on the materials of post & frame.

Check your pedals while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

An additional advantage of travelling abroad regularly with bike/s is that the seat post and pedals have to be moved.

Advertisement