Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Police investigating Chelsea fans over racist chants on train over weekend

• 03-03-2015 1:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Police in the UK are investigating claims that Chelsea fans were involved in over chants on a train from London to Manchester. They are seeking 7 people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2975609/Police-investigate-claims-Chelsea-fans-making-racist-chants-train-Capital-One-Cup-final-victory.html
    Four football fans, said to be Chelsea supporters, were ordered off a train on Sunday night following claims they were making racist chants.

The group were evicted from a Euston to Manchester service after the Capital One Cup final at 10.30pm.

Transport police were called to the service and boarded at Stoke following complaints from other passengers where they threw the supporters off.
    One witness told Sportsmail: 'It was horrendous. They were Chelsea fans and they were being nasty and offensive. One passenger, a black man, moved carriages because he was disgusted with them.

'One girl was crying. The police got on and marched them off the train.'

Another witness said the fans were asking two young Asian girls where their burkas were and singing songs about Spurs and Auschwitz.

Fairly shocking stuff, and obviously massively disappointing for regular Chelsea fans who have nothing to do with this stuff. A blight on a fine League Cup success. There always seems to be a core group with some clubs in the UK that are involved in this kind of behaviour, a hold-over no doubt from the hooliganism of the 1980s.

Hopefully the people involved are charged. Racism has no place in society and no place in football.

What can realistically be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm personally of the view that reporting it in the media doesn't help at all. Some of them will feel like they made a mark when it becomes national news.

The way forward is to teach kids that we are all the same regardless of where we come from or what colour our skin is.

The football 'hooligan' is about the stupidest person there is. He is shouting on Didier Drogba or somebody else from the stands but then racially abusing somebody on a train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm personally of the view that reporting it in the media doesn't help at all. Some of them will feel like they made a mark when it becomes national news.

The way forward is to teach kids that we are all the same regardless of where we come from or what colour our skin is.

The football 'hooligan' is about the stupidest person there is. He is shouting on Didier Drogba or somebody else from the stands but then racially abusing somebody on a train.

Not all football hooligans are racists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

eagle eye wrote: »

I think that's a bad idea. I can see your point about denying those involved notoriety. I don't think it would work, these people will be doing this regardless. They need to be investigated and if found guilty, charged with the full extent of the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Augmerson wrote: »
    massively disappointing for regular Chelsea fans

These guys ARE regular Chelsea fans - they were AT the match ffs, which makes them more "regular" than most Chelsea fans that post on here, for example.

People need to stop this "they aren't real fans" bullshít.

These are actual people, who actually support football clubs by actually going to games and actually supporting the teams - they are ALSO racists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Augmerson wrote: »

What can realistically be done?

Clearly, the only answer is to ban all Chelsea fans from all track based modes of public transportation.

I can't see any other solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Chelsea fans from Manchester eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They were Rangers fans disguised as Chelsea fans :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Oh dear :/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2981734/Chelsea-fans-involved-racism-scandal-singing-chants-following-Capital-One-Cup-victory-against-Tottenham.html#v-4095979150001

Anyway heard Sepp Blatter going on during the week that incidents of racism should be treated much harsher. Obviously he is full of it and only saying this to look after his own hide with his position under threat. I don't think FIFA would have the power, it depends on the domestic football associations. He did mention docking points as one punishment though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement