Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short trip back to Ireland - cycling advice required!

• 03-03-2015 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hey folks.

I'll be in Ireland for about 7-10 days later this month and will be bringing my bike with me. I'll be based in West Cork and Dublin (Sandyford area) and would appreciate some nice recommendations for spins. A few hills would be nice, and any spin up to ~100km would be great. Yes, I could check the heat maps on Strava etc, but some human input would be better :) Would be great to ride with someone whilst there, too!

Also, re temperatures, what kind of clothing would be recommended for this time of year? I've only really been cycling here, in Qatar, and the weather is a little bit warmer, so arm warmers etc don't factor in my wardrobe. Do I simply invoke Rule #5 and be done with it?! :pac:

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

This was at the race on Sunday

A1-600x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Clothing? Bring everything! It was 0 degrees this morning and there's snow on the mountains today. It should be gone over the next few days but you'll still need arm/leg warmers, gloves, cap and overshoes. A rain cape and/or gillet in you back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Inquitus wrote: »
    This was at the race on Sunday

A1-600x300.jpg
    Oh my. I feel cold looking at that picture!
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clothing? Bring everything! It was 0 degrees this morning and there's snow on the mountains today. It should be gone over the next few days but you'll still need arm/leg warmers, gloves, cap and overshoes. A rain cape and/or gillet in you back pocket.
    Looks like a job for Wiggle! Any brands you can recommend for cold weather stuff? All the stuff I have is very light. But I NEED to get out and ride while I'm in Ireland.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Where's your West Cork base?

ford2600 wrote: »
    Where's your West Cork base?

Ballineen/Enniskeane area. Are you in the vicinity? If you're in deepest, darkest West Cork, I can drive a bit, too :)

• Advertisement

dancrowley wrote: »

Looks like a job for Wiggle! Any brands you can recommend for cold weather stuff? All the stuff I have is very light. But I NEED to get out and ride while I'm in Ireland.

Thanks guys.

depends on your budget, but I like Santini. Dhb is a brand available on wiggle and usually get good reviews.

depends on your budget, but I like Santini. Dhb is a brand available on wiggle and usually get good reviews.

Cheers 07Lapierre. I've some Dhb stuff and it's pretty good. I won't be using the gear very much (7-10 days, max), so I reckon, price-wise, i should stick to Dhb. Santini do nice stuff, but it's a little saucier, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

West Cork Cycling Club are based in Dunmanway, they head out for a spin every Sunday. Spins are usually 60 to 90K. Check them out on Facebook and I'm sure they would be delighted to have you along. There's also a cycling club in Bandon so between the two you should be able to get out with a few locals.

laurach wrote: »
    West Cork Cycling Club are based in Dunmanway, they head out for a spin every Sunday. Spins are usually 60 to 90K. Check them out on Facebook and I'm sure they would be delighted to have you along. There's also a cycling club in Bandon so between the two you should be able to get out with a few locals.

Thanks laurach! I'll be in the area on the Sunday so I'll get in touch with them! Thanks for the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

No bother - if you aren't having any luck getting in touch with them on facebook send me a pm and I can forward direct contact details for one of the members.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Based in Sandyford gives you plenty of hilly options. The Sally gap / Military road is a usual favourite, but can be very exposed in cold and windy weather, and may be a bit of a shocker after Qatar. A more sheltered but still very lumpy route is Sandyford-Enniskerry-Old long hill-Back roads to Laragh. Something like this; http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI Once you get to Laragh you can come back over the Sallygap if weather is ok, back the same way, or back via Roundwood as a less hilly option. About 80k-90k either way and as many hills as you could shake a stick at.

Plenty of other short sharp options coming from Sandyford, and I'd tend to select a route based on weather, considering wind as well as temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Would be great to ride with someone whilst there, too!

If you are are around Sandyford at the weekend give us a shout. We've spins on most Saturdays and Sundays.

There's also this crowd down the road who I hear are very nice.

Cheers 07Lapierre. I've some Dhb stuff and it's pretty good. I won't be using the gear very much (7-10 days, max), so I reckon, price-wise, i should stick to Dhb. Santini do nice stuff, but it's a little saucier, right?

Its not the most expensive out there, but I like the fit and quality...

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

.... bringing my bike with me ..... here, in Qatar.....

Are you flying with Qatar? If so, I flew with them last year and the following may be useful:

In economy you get 30kgs + extra 10kg free for bike when flying to/from Ireland so 40kg total. This is based on Qatar being the MSC - Most Significant Carrier ( http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/baggage.page )

If AL are the first leg out of Ireland on your return flight, they have a 23kg limit for bike boxes/bags. Not sure how rigorous they enforce this but try avoid a 32kg bike box/bag. I had a 24.5kg box and it was ok.

If flying AL, they have a limit on the number of bikes per flight. If you have a non AL ticket (e.g. Qatar ticket with AL codeshare) AL will not allow you reserve a space for your bike but they will tell you how many bike spaces are used/free on your flight. I don't think this will be an issue in March.

If not flying Qatar or AL, ignore all of the above.

Being March, be prepared for all types of weather.

laurach wrote: »
    No bother - if you aren't having any luck getting in touch with them on facebook send me a pm and I can forward direct contact details for one of the members.

Hey laurach. Thanks for the advice. I've been in touch and they have responded, so I'll ride wtih them on Sunday 14th :)
    smacl wrote: »
    Based in Sandyford gives you plenty of hilly options. The Sally gap / Military road is a usual favourite, but can be very exposed in cold and windy weather, and may be a bit of a shocker after Qatar. A more sheltered but still very lumpy route is Sandyford-Enniskerry-Old long hill-Back roads to Laragh. Something like this; http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI Once you get to Laragh you can come back over the Sallygap if weather is ok, back the same way, or back via Roundwood as a less hilly option. About 80k-90k either way and as many hills as you could shake a stick at.

Plenty of other short sharp options coming from Sandyford, and I'd tend to select a route based on weather, considering wind as well as temperature.

I'll look into these, smacl. Thanks for taking the time to suggest these variants.
    daragh_ wrote: »
    If you are are around Sandyford at the weekend give us a shout. We've spins on most Saturdays and Sundays.

There's also this crowd down the road who I hear are very nice.

Hi daragh. On checking my calendar, I won't be in the Sandyford area on a weekend, but many thanks for the invite!
    Its not the most expensive out there, but I like the fit and quality...

http://www.prendas.co.uk/

Cheers 07Lapierre. I think one of the lads out here gets stuff from them. Looks great!
    blobbie wrote: »
    Are you flying with Qatar?

If not flying Qatar or AL, ignore all of the above.

Being March, be prepared for all types of weather.

Hey blobbie. I'll be flying with Etihad, but cheers :) And yeah... all types of weather... I'm used to either "hot" or "not so hot", really. Maybe i should just invoke Rule #5 with my clothing and carry a bidon full of some nice Barrys, eh? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miterreader

Rick doesn't even wonder why Carl is outside on his own? Little bit crazy that . enjoyed the episode over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I'll be based in West Cork and..

Glandore, Union Hall, Lough Hyne, Mount Gabriel (near Schull) are close enough and beautiful places to cycle.

Glandore, Union Hall, Lough Hyne, Mount Gabriel (near Schull) are close enough and beautiful places to cycle.

Just checked and its a tad shy of 100km for a round trip to Lough Hyne, via Glandore. Nice plan for a morning spin! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Hey laurach. Thanks for the advice. I've been in touch and they have responded, so I'll ride wtih them on Sunday 14th :)

Looking forward to seeing you ;)
    (Sunday 15th, by the way)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Rick doesn't even wonder why Carl is outside on his own? Little bit crazy that . enjoyed the episode over all.

Eh?

• Advertisement

outfox wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing you ;)
    (Sunday 15th, by the way)

:eek: :pac:

Yeah, it is the 15th... my head is melted from all the dates and stuff I need to do while in country. Looking forward to getting some proper air into my lungs, that isn't filled with dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Make sure you get a photo of yourself wearing our club kit while riding in Qatar, and stick it up on FB:)

outfox wrote: »
    Make sure you get a photo of yourself wearing our club kit while riding in Qatar, and stick it up on FB:)
    :)
    Will do! Cheers for the assistance yesterday and for the great morning out. I need to spend more time out of the saddle methinks; this climbing lark is fun but hard work :)

Advertisement