Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exporting to the USA

Options
  • 03-03-2015 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, we are at the early stage of exporting to the USA. I was hoping to get some tips / advice regarding freight cost. We are being hammered when it comes to shipping 2 or 3 pallets door to door. Does anyone know any good companies to use when you don't have a container load? I was also wondering if you can buy space on a 20/40ft that is not full. For example we shipped 7 pallets in a 20ft as it was cheaper than paying a price per pallet rate. A 20ft holds approx 12 pallets so there was a lot of unused space which we could have sold if we had someone to sell it to! I know that is essentially what the freight companies do (fill up containers) but they don't give any discount! Any suggestions / ideas / tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

I would say a pm to RUDOLF289 on here will get you some real solid advice and pricing. He is to go to guy here for international freight in and out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

PCENG wrote: »
    Hi, we are at the early stage of exporting to the USA. I was hoping to get some tips / advice regarding freight cost. We are being hammered when it comes to shipping 2 or 3 pallets door to door. Does anyone know any good companies to use when you don't have a container load? I was also wondering if you can buy space on a 20/40ft that is not full. For example we shipped 7 pallets in a 20ft as it was cheaper than paying a price per pallet rate. A 20ft holds approx 12 pallets so there was a lot of unused space which we could have sold if we had someone to sell it to! I know that is essentially what the freight companies do (fill up containers) but they don't give any discount! Any suggestions / ideas / tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning PCENG

Shipping to the USA is an expensive past time. First of all, ships are full Westbound and shipping lines have actually introduced a Peak Season Surcharge for the moment. That is one of the reason freight rates are expensive. Also, handling and transportation costs states side are expensive.

In relation to "sharing" a container, a couple of things that would work against that ;

1. You will have two shippers and two consignees in the container. Unless you are going to the same city as the other party in the container, you will find that costs will quickly spiral out of control. Coordinating delivery to two different addresses off the same container can be challenging.
    2. You are now also dependant on getting the customs clearance synced with the other party in the container. Any delays by either consignee in getting their shipments cleared would have a negative impact and has potential cost implications (demurage / quay rent)
    3. In all likelyhood, because you have two different consignees in the container, you will have to move the container to a bonded warehouse where both shipments have to be discharged. That is a very costly exercise, after which you have two groupage / LCL deliveries, which, depending on size / destination would be more expensive than a container delivery.

Its true, not every container leaving Ireland is filled to capacity. However, finding out who has space, coordinating the loading of the container in Ireland (You may be based in Donegal and the party that has space is based in County Kerry). They may have space in a container going to Chicago, your client is maybe based in Atlanta or New Orleans. Then there is the matter of compatibility. Can your product be loaded with what the other party is shipping ? There are just too many variables from where I am sitting, that it is very difficult to envisage a succesfull cooperation with one or possibly more parties in a container.

I would be happy to review your requirements (without obligation) and see if we can help save you costs. Feel free to drop me a PM with the following information ;

1. Place of collection in Ireland
    2. Commodity
    3. INCO Terms (e.g. CFR, CPT)
    3. A history of previous shipments (e.g. nr of pieces, weights and dimensions) and values.
    4. Place of delivery, including zip code
    5. Who is responsible for the customs clearance and payment of duties ?
    6. Do you have marine / cargo insurance ?

Based on the above we can check the options available and present you with a "second opinion"

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement