Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ovulation/confused

Options
  • 03-03-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Help, i had my period 19th feb, lasts 4 days so i should be ovulating since mon until fri i wud hav thought as per online trackers/calenders.

i did an ov test Sunday (im using the sticks btw) so got a strong line, when i ovulate i get pains in my side (left) @lwys have, anyway Monday at noon i did another ov stick and its neg?? Same that afternoon Y wud that be ?? Did one today feck all fluids btw before again a very faint line, im just confused, we have been trying since jan, i know its not long just trying to pinpoint when i ovulate ??

Any advice??
    I'm testing mid afternoon very little fluids then afternoon same story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Are you using the dipsticks? They should be fine in the afternoon for testing, but the clearblue digital ones recommend morning.

They pick LH surge which happens before you ovulate and also after you ovulate, maybe this is what was picked up for you? So Sunday it picked up the surge and some time between then and Monday you ovulated, the surge disappears hence negative on the Monday. With the dipsticks a faint line means no surge. The test line must be darker than the control line or the same colour for a positive result.

Drugs containing LH and HCG can affect results as well.

Now reading that false LH surges can happen and that a surge doesn't mean an egg is released!
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a561822/how-to-use-ovulation-predictor-kits

Glad I didn't know this when I was using them!

I found the clearblue digital great and used the dipsticks in the afternoon as well during when I thought I would ovulate because I read some windows can be very small and you might miss them if only testing once a day.

Sounds like you're using them fine. My best guess would be you ovulated some time after the test on Sunday and that's why there was no surge on the Monday to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Hiya, yep I'm using the sticks, I was due to ovulate on the Monday so only tested the day b4 only because I had cramps , the month b4 I did it the day I was due to ovulate...was that wrong ? We Dtd 2days before and the sun/mon anyway...bloody things are so confusing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

They are really confusing. No sounds like you're testing fine. I wasn't sure when I was ovulating and actually was much later than I thought, so following the clearblue advice I was testing from day 7 on that and coming up to day 11 I started doing the dipstick ones as well in the afternoon to make sure I didn't miss the surge.

Best of luck!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The LH surge which the sticks detect, can be quite short lived in some women. So even if you tested every day, it might have been missed.

But it sounds like you know your body quite well so take into account the other signs too. An interesting thing I found out was that the pain is not when the egg is released, its actually the follicle stretching, as per my fertility nurse. When I was on my TSI cycle, I had pain on the Sunday, was scanned on the Wednesday and had two mature follicles, took the trigger shot that evening and had a 36 hour window so conceived either Thursday or Friday night, days and days after the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

Think il ditch the sticks for the rest of the week, Dtd and hope 4 the best ;) on mt dd we decided we wud have kids didn't use the sticks etc I actually think it was pure fluke we got our timing spot n, on my m.c it took a couple of mths, then when I fell preg again it was directly after the m.c so I was lucky, ah sure il see how it goes ;) will keep ye posted tho

• Advertisement
Advertisement