Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up to Date costs for insulation

Options
  • 03-03-2015 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, sorry I know there has been a lot of info posted about this but it all seems to be a couple/few years old unless I am looking in the wrong place. I have a 3 bed semi detached house and would like to get the attic and walls insulated.
    First, can you use different types of attic insulation together or do you have to take out old insulation and then put in new stuff. Was thinking cellulose for attic and bonded bead for cavity walls. The attic has what I think is fibreglass insulation now but house has been quite cold in winter not unusual I know!!! Winter and all but it doesn't keep the heat in for long. I would like to get a stove with boiler but don't know whether to get insulation done first or stove? Any idea on the costs for the insulation would be much appreciated!! Apologies for my ignorance hopefully you can help me!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

If it doesn't keep the heat on long it may be an Airtightness issue rather than an insulation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

893bet wrote: »
    If it doesn't keep the heat on long it may be an Airtightness issue rather than an insulation issue.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

Whats the best way to sort this? thanks for replies!

cookie* wrote: »
    Whats the best way to sort this? thanks for replies!

You can have the house tested for its primary heat loss mechanism (heat loss survey). This generally uses thermal imaging, blower door fan and trace smoke to determine the extent and location of air leakage weaknesses as well as insulation deficiencies. From this you should be fully aware of what you need to do to make your house both energy efficient and comfortable.

MicktheMan wrote: »
    You can have the house tested for its primary heat loss mechanism (heat loss survey). This generally uses thermal imaging, blower door fan and trace smoke to determine the extent and location of air leakage weaknesses as well as insulation deficiencies. From this you should be fully aware of what you need to do to make your house both energy efficient and comfortable.

Thanks for info. Don't suppose you can recommend (pm)anyone that does this without it being ridiculous money. Sorry have no knowledge on this so probably stupid questions. I live in the west??

• Advertisement

Thanks for info. Don't suppose you can recommend (pm)anyone that does this without it being ridiculous money. Sorry have no knowledge on this so probably stupid questions. I live in the west??

Try googling "heat loss survey"

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Hi, sorry I know there has been a lot of info posted about this but it all seems to be a couple/few years old unless I am looking in the wrong place. I have a 3 bed semi detached house and would like to get the attic and walls insulated.
    First, can you use different types of attic insulation together or do you have to take out old insulation and then put in new stuff. Was thinking cellulose for attic and bonded bead for cavity walls. The attic has what I think is fibreglass insulation now but house has been quite cold in winter not unusual I know!!! Winter and all but it doesn't keep the heat in for long. I would like to get a stove with boiler but don't know whether to get insulation done first or stove? Any idea on the costs for the insulation would be much appreciated!! Apologies for my ignorance hopefully you can help me!! Thanks
    What's the point from stove if You will keep loosing heat?
    If You insulate your house it will cool down faster when heating is off, because insulation have a low thermal mass and it didn't accumulate heat, that's how it makes building warm quick when you turn on the heat. Look for air tightness as well so you don't loose heat that way as well.
    Start with insulation, than heating system and than climat control system like '''nest'' or similar.

Thanks handsandtools as you can probably guess I don't really know much about this so need all the help I can get. Find it really good here to get advice and opinions!!

Advertisement