Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice Comms over Wifi

Options
  • 03-03-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I am setting up a wifi network across 2-3 buildings (house with a couple of outbuildings) I want to put in a way to communicate between the buildings that would work over the wireless network.
    I would like to avoid going over the internet as the speeds are not so good maybe 1.5M download and 1-200K upload.
    Anyone any ideas that would would over the wireless network itself? Would an IP phone work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Old Jim wrote: »
    I am setting up a wifi network across 2-3 buildings (house with a couple of outbuildings) I want to put in a way to communicate between the buildings that would work over the wireless network.
    I would like to avoid going over the internet as the speeds are not so good maybe 1.5M download and 1-200K upload.
    Anyone any ideas that would would over the wireless network itself? Would an IP phone work?

Smartphones with walkie talkie apps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could put asterisk (a software pbx) on one of the computers and use soft phones to communicate. You can put soft phones on tablets and probably on smart phones. I have asterisk running on a RaspberryPi along with an openvpn server. I can then use soft phones to communicate with other members of the family wherever in the world they are (as long as they have an internet connection). Also they can use my VOIP package to make external calls.

Advertisement