Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport out of date for IEC

Options
  • 03-03-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi there, my passport expires in March 2017. If I applied for I.E.C this year and got a place, would I still get a full 2 year working holiday visa or what? I mean you cant apply for a new passport until your existing one expires, yeah?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

meka wrote: »
    Hi there, my passport expires in March 2017. If I applied for I.E.C this year and got a place, would I still get a full 2 year working holiday visa or what? I mean you cant apply for a new passport until your existing one expires, yeah?

Do the application, get your acceptance letter, then report your existing passport lost and get a new one before travelling. I changed a passport before while on an IEC and next time I flew in I flagged it - the immigration officer said it made no difference that it was a new passport with a new document number, and that the work permit was tied to the name and other information rather than the passport. So you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

Cheers. But it states in the guidelines that your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay when applying. What difference will getting a new passport after I submit my application make?

Okay gotcha. In that case I'm not sure. Maybe give them a call, it might not matter, since your passport only comes into the equation when you're entering Canada - you need it to be valid for the duration of your stay there, just like your stay in any country - so they might tell you it's fine. Do you know anyone who can sort you out with an express passport in a week or so? It can be done if you know the right people, so you might be able to get it in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

COYVB wrote: »
    then report your existing passport lost

Why on earth would you do this? You can renew your passport at any time for 10 years so long as you're willing to pay the fee. Knowingly falsely reporting a passport as lost is a really bad idea.

With regards to the OP, this should help

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=861&t=25

I believe it's faster to replace a "lost" passport than a non-lost one. That may be incorrect, but when I had to get mine renewed a few years ago from Canada, two people (one in the Gardai and one in the passport office) told me it would be quicker if the existing one was "lost". Had it done in a week, plus another to get it sent over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭AmyPL

I really would not recommend reporting it lost if you haven't actually lost it.

Assuming you're based in Ireland, Passport Express via the post office takes around 10-15 working days. You'll get your old passport returned to you along with new passport- it'll be stamped void and have the edges snipped off. Bring both passports with you to Canada so they can compare details with your older one and they'll apply the visa to your new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 meka

Great, thanks for all your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I work in the passport office and it's most definitely not faster to report your passport lost. You'll be treated as a first time applicant again and will have to produce proof of name, proof of address, photo ID and your birth cert. You can renew your passport at any time you want, you don't need to wait until it expires.

I was over in Canada in 2011 on a working holiday visa and my passport was going to expire over there. I just renewed it here before I left.

Advertisement