Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Same Posters Posting Constant Race-related Topics?

Options
  • 03-03-2015 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Just did a quick count and of the 20 threads on the first page of after hours, 7 of them are threads full of the same few posters who seem to be intent on soap boxing against people of minority groups.

It's becoming hard to read after hours anymore. I don't mind a difference of opinion but we are literally being bombarded with thread after thread (usually involving muslims) by the same posters.

Have the mods noticed this?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

TommyOM wrote: »

Have you reported posts and brought it to their attention? And I'm not being facetious here, that's a genuine question. AH is a large, busy forum, and mods can't be expected to read everything that's posted in it, so we really do rely on posters bringing things to the attention of the mods. This can be done by either PMing them or, preferably by reporting posts. I'll also pop a link to this thread in the AH mods' forum so they're aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

It's not really something that can be reported. The posters in question deliberately skirt just above what is allowed. It's so obvious to anyone that the sole purpose of some of these posters is to stir up racial **** but they freely post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Here's the thing - naming names here does nothing except cause stress and forces people to be on the defensive and then the argument becomes *about* the argument and not whatever the discussion was about.

By reporting these things, regardless of whether or not you think they skirt one side of the rules or another, you help the mods (who are looking at hundreds and hundreds of posters every day) to have a quick reference of people who cause stress. So if we search for "JoeBloggsRacist" in the reported posts forum and see the name cropping up frequently then we get to build a better and more accurate picture of the kinds of discussions "JoeBloggsRacist" gets involved with and whether or not they're a racist asshole or just an ignorant one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Just did a quick count and of the 20 threads on the first page of after hours, 7 of them are threads full of the same few posters who seem to be intent on soap boxing against people of minority groups.

It's becoming hard to read after hours anymore. I don't mind a difference of opinion but we are literally being bombarded with thread after thread (usually involving muslims) by the same posters.

I can tell you what I have noticed. All too often, the very same posters that contort and complain bitterly about such threads are never out of them themselves, pumping the oxygen in and thanking the most zealously opposed posters with wild abandon. I can't but help wonder what exactly attracts those who are constantly offended and incapable of seeing issues without race or discrimination tinted lenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭BD45

reprise wrote: »
    I can tell you what I have noticed. All too often, the very same posters that contort and complain bitterly about such threads are never out of them themselves, pumping the oxygen in and thanking the most zealously opposed posters with wild abandon. I can't but help wonder what exactly attracts those who are constantly offended and incapable of seeing issues without race or discrimination tinted lenses.

You'd think they would simply avoid threads that upset them. Moral outrage seems to be a drug for some people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BD45 wrote: »
    You'd think they would simply avoid threads that upset them. Moral outrage seems to be a drug for some people.

Racism and sectarianism are against the charter.

Nodin wrote: »
    Racism and sectarianism are against the charter.

Why does it bother you so much when people discuss Islam and race? You always appear in these threads, why not simply avoid them if it upsets you that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why does it bother you so much when people discuss Islam and race? You always appear in these threads, why not simply avoid them if it upsets you that much?

As I said, racism and sectarianism are against the charter.

That and back seat moderation. Also against the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

They're not discussions, they're angry diatribes about how Muslims have no place in the West. Some people object to such petty xenophobia.

• Advertisement

Cuban Pete wrote: »
    They're not discussions, they're angry diatribes about how Muslims have no place in the West. Some people object to such petty xenophobia.

Feel free to object using the report button. It's there for us all.

Considering that,
    The posters in question deliberately skirt just above what is allowed.

It leaves little option for others but to argue against that crap.

Considering that,

It leaves little option for others but to argue against that crap.

:confused:

Are you posting on some sort of a compulsory basis?

If not, what makes you feel you must respond? What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

If not, what makes you feel you must respond? What exactly are you hoping to achieve?

It's the need to feel smug and superior, 'I'm so liberal and so tolerant. I never dare question the liberal narrative or think any negative thoughts about Islam or immigration. Look at what a good boy I am.'

Presumably the same thing that drives the people who create those threads to compulsorily create them. Which is why your question is probably better put to them, no?

But to answer - part of it is that I've been on the receiving end of discrimination and as such it's a subject I feel very strongly about.

It's easy for certain people to sit and sneer when there's little wrong in their lives, right BD45?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Islam is a religion. A personal belief. An idea.

But not a race.

Presumably the same thing that drives the people who create those threads to compulsorily create them. Which is why your question is probably better put to them, no?

Not really. Most threads I see on AH are directly related to current affairs and newsworthy events. People seem to like to discussing such things. I know I do.
    But to answer - part of it is that I've been on the receiving end of discrimination and as such it's a subject I feel very strongly about.

Then there is an element of a personal crusade to your interest and you are honest enough to admit it.

That's absolutely fine, but it is disingenuous to assume that everyone else's motives are malevolent and bereft of any passion or rationale or you are about to convert them somehow.

Censoring the debate and/or banning those you don't agree with is pointless on a moderated discussion forum, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ignore 5-6 people and it all disappears. No more politics cafe rejects who try to shoe horn the whole the left/right made my coffee cold this morning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Saipanne wrote: »
    Islam is a religion. A personal belief. An idea.

But not a race.

Ah, the Britain First/EDL/UKIP defence.

Amazing how many times people who use that defence turn out to be racist anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

El Weirdo wrote: »

Amazing how many times people who use that defence turn out to be racist anyway.

It's still a valid point though

Do you consider Catholisism, Buddhism, Scientology or Mormonism to be a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

No, just as I don't consider Islamism as a race. I'm just making the point that many people use Islam as a way to justify their racism.

It's normally quite easy to pick out the people that have a genuine criticism of any religion without any underlying agenda.

No, just as I don't consider Islamism as a race. I'm just making the point that many people use Islam as a way to justify their racism.

It's normally quite easy to pick out the people that have a genuine criticism of any religion without any underlying agenda.

My apologies i read your post wrong

Sunday morning fog still clearing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

How about Jews?

Wang King wrote: »
    How about Jews?

How about them?

Nodin wrote: »
    As I said, racism and sectarianism are against the charter.

The glorification of the murder of an innocent woman isn't though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The glorification of the murder of an innocent woman isn't though
    I'd expect that it is, under the catch-all "don't be a dick" rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

How about Jews?

I'd like for you to elaborate on this.

The Jewish gene pool is very diluted. If you're trying to use Jews as an example of a religious group being a race, you're using possibly the worse example out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

It's also Dawkins defence and of course true. It's easily to tell the difference between anti-Catholicism and anti-Catholics ( for instance the Orange Order bigot who said Catholics were vermin is a racist, since he meant Irish catholics --an ethno-religious group in the context of Northern Ireland-- but a Guardian attack on Catholicism isn't).

Your whole post was a strawman and a well poisoning. That's what should be banned in fact, if anything.

Btw I have non- White children but I am a critic of Islam, as well as all revealed religions. I also am no fan of astrology, spiritualism and psychics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

How about Jews?

They are an ethno-religious group. Generally attacks on Jews are racist because it's almost never an attack on the religion but the presumed attributes of the people. Exceptions would be opposition to orthodox religious police, orthodox practices of circumcision and so on. The fact that I have to say orthodox shows that most Jewish people aren't that religious

• Advertisement

I'd like for you to elaborate on this.

The Jewish gene pool is very diluted. If you're trying to use Jews as an example of a religious group being a race, you're using possibly the worse example out there.

It was a question, it needs no elaboration just answers...preferably correct ones

Advertisement