Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hl maths help!!

• 03-03-2015 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey basically failed my HL maths mock and seriously considering dropping as I'm truly awful at it. But anyway in November I dropped to OL Irish out of genuine fear of my teacher I'm quite good at irish but she was making me hate it so I dropped it. I am in need of points next year and I can't afford 2 OL subjects so I'm just wondering if it is physically possible to go back to HL? This might be a stupid question but I'm considering all options, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 arcticthinker

Hey basically failed my HL maths mock and seriously considering dropping as I'm truly awful at it. But anyway in November I dropped to OL Irish out of genuine fear of my teacher I'm quite good at irish but she was making me hate it so I dropped it. I am in need of points next year and I can't afford 2 OL subjects so I'm just wondering if it is physically possible to go back to HL? This might be a stupid question but I'm considering all options, thanks!

What percentage did you get? , how many points do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 2roadsdiverged

What percentage did you get? , how many points do you need?

38% lol but only 5 people in my class passed out of 28, so there was a high failure rate. My teacher said she's seriously concerned though to keep me in the class so idk and 510, I'm definitely not going to achieve that with 2 OL subjects so

38% lol but only 5 people in my class passed out of 28, so there was a high failure rate. My teacher said she's seriously concerned though to keep me in the class so idk and 510, I'm definitely not going to achieve that with 2 OL subjects so
    What's your points projection , ie subject and number of points you expect to obtain, 38% is borderline, it's literally plug in the holes of knowledge you have with study or salvage as many points as you can in ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Did you have DEB or Examcraft, if DEB then 38% was a great result believe me!

Magnate wrote: »
    Did you have DEB or Examcraft, if DEB then 38% was a great result believe me!

It was DEB. We still haven't covered financial maths or statistics though so I think the teacher added in loads of questions from last year's mock but I just feel other subjects are suffering from maths too because it's so time consuming and my teacher has been pushing me to drop ever since 5th year so feel she picks on me a lot during class and questions my answers a lot although they can be right idk what to do honestly like I've always struggled with maths anyway and cane from getting an A in OL in the Junior and doing a year of maths in TY but its always a big challenge so not sure if I'm prepared to stay because of the fact it's taking away from other subjects I can do well in, and think it was a fluke I got 38%, was literally an exam of attempt marks!

• Advertisement

It was DEB. We still haven't covered financial maths or statistics though so I think the teacher added in loads of questions from last year's mock but I just feel other subjects are suffering from maths too because it's so time consuming and my teacher has been pushing me to drop ever since 5th year so feel she picks on me a lot during class and questions my answers a lot although they can be right idk what to do honestly like I've always struggled with maths anyway and cane from getting an A in OL in the Junior and doing a year of maths in TY but its always a big challenge so not sure if I'm prepared to stay because of the fact it's taking away from other subjects I can do well in, and think it was a fluke I got 38%, was literally an exam of attempt marks!

Have a little faith in yourself, you are currently doing something that the vast majority of the nation cannot even attempt to do

What's your points projection , ie subject and number of points you expect to obtain, 38% is borderline, it's literally plug in the holes of knowledge you have with study or salvage as many points as you can in ordinary level.
    I want a B1 in Music, English and History, a C1 in Physics, a C3 in French and hopefully a distinction in Links. I really feel if I drop maths I'll have more time to bring the other subjects up grades in order to get the points. I'm hoping to study in Scotland next year because believe the system is fairer but around 500 points is just my personal goal as all I need is 3 B's and a C for Scotland but think the fear with maths is failing it and not meeting the entry requirements for anywhere, but on fairness I haven't put any work into maths either because I tend to study the subjects I like and leave maths and other subjects like physics to the side so maybe with a bit of study but because I'm just not a natural logical thinker I do think no matter how much I study and how much work I put on my lack of logic when answering questions, particularly section B will simply fail me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

It was DEB.but I just feel other subjects are suffering from maths too because it's so time consuming and my teacher has been pushing me to drop ever since 5th year so feel she picks on me a lot during class and questions my answers a lot although they can be right idk what to do honestly like I've always struggled with maths anyway and cane from getting an A in OL in the Junior and doing a year of maths in TY but its always a big challenge so not sure if I'm prepared to stay because of the fact it's taking away from other subjects I can do well in, and think it was a fluke I got 38%, was literally an exam of attempt marks!
    but on fairness I haven't put any work into maths either because I tend to study the subjects I like and leave maths and other subjects like physics to the side so maybe with a bit of study but because I'm just not a natural logical thinker I do think no matter how much I study and how much work I put on my lack of logic when answering questions, particularly section B will simply fail me

Well which is it haha?

Honestly I think you should stay with it. You're better than you give yourself credit for. It sounds like the real reason you want to drop is because of your teacher. There's still a lot of time to bring up your result and the bonus points will definitely pay off. I don't know how much of your paper was DEB, but 38% is a decent result for it. The real thing will definitely be easier. I'd recommend that you get a hold of the examcraft mocks and sit down one weekend to do both papers if you're still not that confident about it, I'm sure your result would surprise you.

Have a little faith in yourself, you are currently doing something that the vast majority of the nation cannot even attempt to do

I think it's just fear really, I already feel obliged to just leave because of my teacher's attitude towards my presence in her class
    Magnate wrote: »
    Well which is it haha?

Honestly I think you should stay with it. You're better than you give yourself credit for. It sounds like the real reason you want to drop is because of your teacher. There's still a lot of time to bring up your result and the bonus points will definitely pay off. I don't know how much of your paper was DEB, but 38% is a decent result for it. The real thing will definitely be easier. I'd recommend that you get a hold of the examcraft mocks and sit down one weekend to do both papers if you're still not that confident about it, I'm sure your result would surprise you.

Okay I'll try and get a hold of an examcraft mock and see how I go with that, I should probably just start believing in myself, and yeah the real reason might be my teacher I think its more so constant intimidation but only 3 more months I suppose. Thanks a million!

It's time consuming in homework and after school maths twice a week but in terms of further study I'm really lacking

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

If you got 38% in the real lc is that not a pass given that there is a 2% waiver ? Taken from http://www.dublinschoolofgrinds.ie/leaving-cert-maths-grinds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would encourage someone who got 38% on what by all accounts was a difficult mock to stay with the HL.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

From what I read here, the DEB mock was extremely hard. 38% from that isn't bad at all. Stick with HL if you can.

Advertisement