Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Work career options

Options
  • 03-03-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I hope you can help me. I am after finishing a social work masters in England. However now I have moved back home to Ireland and hoping to get work. I have been unemployed for 7 months and everyone is telling me that I don't have enough experience. Do you have any tips for getting a job as a social worker?How long on average would it take to get a job with the HSE or is this even a possibility any more? What are my options with this masters or do I have any?I am seriously considering either moving back to the UK or retraining as something else, although this would seem like a waste of time and money considering all my hard work. Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭macannrb

Hi
    I am currently looking into doing a MA course in Social Work in the UK. However I am a little concerned about the accreditation requirements when I return. Have you had any difficulty getting registered with CORU? Can I ask were did you do your course as CORU would not give any recommendations on UK Universities stating they would only deal with individual cases post qualification.

If anyone has any advice on this matter i would be very grateful.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

"Hi, I hope you can help me. I am after finishing a social work masters in England. However now I have moved back home to Ireland and hoping to get work. I have been unemployed for 7 months and everyone is telling me that I don't have enough experience. Do you have any tips for getting a job as a social worker? How long on average would it take to get a job with the HSE or is this even a possibility any more? What are my options with this masters or do I have any? I am seriously considering either moving back to the UK or retraining as something else, although this would seem like a waste of time and money considering all my hard work. Please help."

You should read the "Social Work Panel 2013" thread. Basically the HSE and Child and Family agency only appoint social workers to permanent jobs from this panel. However if you have experience from the UK you should be able to register with CPL or one of the other agencies who fill posts that are available on a temporary basis e.g. maternity leave and the like.

You should look on Activelink.ie for the likes of project worker jobs. There are occasional vacancies in the larger hospitals for medical social workers. These are not necessarily advertised so it is worth making enquiries directly.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

"Hi
    I am currently looking into doing a MA course in Social Work in the UK. However I am a little concerned about the accreditation requirements when I return. Have you had any difficulty getting registered with CORU? Can I ask were did you do your course as CORU would not give any recommendations on UK Universities stating they would only deal with individual cases post qualification.

Thank you"

As far as I know CORU will register anyone with a UK qualification but it may take a while. I trained in UK and had my qualifications validated by the National Social Work Qualifications Board. Where I work about 20% of my colleagues trained in UK. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4 arts degree3

Thanks everyone that is really helpful. Any suggestions on gaining experience if I don't have any post qualifying experience? As that seems to be the main reason I can't get a job. I have already asked about doing internships but most places won't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 arts degree3

macannrb wrote: »
    Hi

Thank you

It has just taken ALOT of time. The average waiting time for getting your degree approved is over 5 months and then another 2 to get registered. (I'm still waiting and I wasn't allowed to apply until I officially graduated which was 6 months after my course finished) All that time you can't work as a social worker but you can in similar fields e.g. youth worker, social care etc. in Ireland anyways. You can work straight away if you stay in England or Wales. I did my MA in the University of Hull. The only complaint I have about them is they are really unorganized but it is a really great course and learned so much so would recommend it. It is a really intense course so make sure you really wanna do it for the right reasons before applying. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Hi all,

Make sure to check the TUSLA website as the social work panel is now open. Place to go if you want to get jobs in CP (Tusla) or HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Degree in Social Work allows you become a Probation Officer. There was recruitment last year so might be more this year.

Advertisement