Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

carne beach wexford

• 03-03-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi lads does anybody no what the story is with mooring a boat down here during the summer months, is there spots, prices etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't know Carne beach but if it has a harbour master, sailing club or county council I would check with them. you will also have to check the length of mooring chain for your size boat and then work out it's swing in comparison to the swing of the boats around you and making sure you don't block any entrance or exit that other boats use.
    You don't normally pay for moorings but they can be quite expensive to make and you will also find it hard to get insurance on your boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

I don't think its governed by any arrangement but I personally wouldn't leave my boat there. It's too exposed in all senses. Local boats are watched over by local people.

Kilmore is a far better option if you can get a berth. Or launch from the new slip in Wexford. I think the launch fee is about one hundred euros for the year and also covers the slip in Kilmore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Actually, come to think of it, some potters may still use the pier so I'd say insurance will be needed regardless, that's if you can get it. It's one thing to damage your own vessel accidentally but if you damaged a persons livelihood you'd be in a spot of bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Carne has a pier that you can tie onto. The local fishermen who fish for crab&lobster ask that pleasure boats ties up towards the start of the pier by the slip, so there is water for them to come in on. and there is usually plenty of room there.

Wexford county council would probably need to be contacted in relation to mooring fee's, if any apply. Can't remember if there is fee's for mooring out on the bay.

The local fishermen often leave their boats moored there as well depending on the tide times for when they head out in the mornings, as they cannot get in/out on low-mid tide.

Alot of the people staying in the caravan park there use tractors to launch/retrieve boats from the slip/sand beside the pier during the day, so if you were stuck there would be someone to help you out etc

if you need to know anything else about Carne ask away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Was down there today.
    No boats moored or tied to the buoys.

Does anyone know how you could go about buying a couple of crustaceans from locals?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

On most moored boats the insurance doesn't start till after Easter when the weather picks up.
    I'm sure if you just walk up to them when they come in from fishing and offer them a few quid they will sell you some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

fergal.b wrote: »
    On most moored boats the insurance doesn't start till after Easter when the weather picks up.
    I'm sure if you just walk up to them when they come in from fishing and offer them a few quid they will sell you some.

Thanks - will do that next time I'm down around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

it's usually only the fishermen who use the buoys/moorings, the odd sports fisherman uese them from time to time. Most of the sports fishermen launch/retrieve from the slip/beach using tractors.

You can ask any of the locals fishing boat for crab claws/lobster no problem, usually no problem if selling some, or even give them some advance notice if you can

Advertisement