Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Walking Achill Island

Options
  • 03-03-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I was walking on Achill this winter and I was surprised that there were no beaten tracks on the hills. I know from the Wicklow area that even the smallest hills have at least some small paths (while some areas are already badly damaged; but that is another topic) and I thought Achill with all the tourists would be popular with walking too. I'm aware that Wicklow is close to Dublin and massive crowds come to the hills all year long while Achill just stands for itself. Just thought it would be more obvious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I agree, but again it's Ireland, there's little or no marked trails and if you're a tourist who wants to go for a hike you'll be put off by the lack of marked access and infrastructure.

There's some super hiking in the Achill area. Corraun in particular is a small hill that not many seem to visit, but the views from it are some of the best I've seen in Ireland - access is via a bog road marked with "no walkers" signs, and involves crossing a boggy, muddy area to get onto the hill. It's such a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

Well, I don't see this as an issue. I prefer it a bit more "wild" when walking and don't actually need paths and tracks to find a route. It's just that I didn't expected it as it was. We walked on Corraun up Knockletragh (http://mountainviews.ie/summit/614) and we followed the bog road and left it somewhere to get to the ridge and further to the top. In general when you enter mountain terrain just somewhere from a road or stoney track you never have a path but at least at an obvious ridge you would pick up one if the hill is regularly visited. But there was nothing. And views to the north to Clew Bay and south to Achill where absolutly fabiulous. Or the other day we went up Cornaclea (http://mountainviews.ie/summit/1192) by crossing the bog north of Dooagh to see the Annagh Strand and Lough Nakeeroge from higher levels. That route is very obvious and easy enough. But there was nothing like a path. We eventually picked up one path after the summit when continuing to the signal tower. But could have also been some sheep path. I wonder how it is on the two big ones on Achill, Slievemore and Croaghaun?

No marked paths or worn in paths up Slievmore or Croughan either. Slievemore is up one shoulder and down the other. The heather can be several feet high. Haven't done Croughan yet. The only place you will see a worn path on Achill is up to Moyteoige Head which is above Keem bay and there is a worn path along the cliffs there

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

The only place you will see a worn path on Achill is up to Moyteoige Head which is above Keem bay and there is a worn path along the cliffs there

Is it a zig zag starting at the bay? If I remember correctly it was very steep at Keem.

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    Is it a zig zag starting at the bay? If I remember correctly it was very steep at Keem.

You can take a zig zag approach up to the cliff edge and the turn left and walk over to moyteoige head where the WW2 shelter is. That would take the steepness out of it. direct from the beach is very steep

• Advertisement
Advertisement