Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop connecting to modem, but not to internet

Options
  • 04-03-2015 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

i'm trying to get a laptop (windows 7) to connect online but to no avail.
    i'm using a TP link 3g router with an o2 dongle.

firstly, the router is fine, i'm using it now to type this from a different computer, but the other laptop just won't connect online. i can get into the modem set up alright, but no further. i've done a factory reset on the router but there's no change. smartphone is fine with it too.
    it won't connect either if i put the dongle straight into one of the laptop's USB ports.

i've turned off the firewalls etc but there's just something that's not letting me get online with it.

any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Open a command prompt on each computer and type 'ipconfig /all'. Is there a significant difference between working and non-working?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Sounds like a problem with the O2 dongle, if its not working on both laptop and router the sim may be no longer active or locked from some reason.

I would check with O2 first to see if the account / number is ok and then get onto their tech support to get it working on your laptop first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

blainj2 wrote: »
    Sounds like a problem with the O2 dongle, if its not working on both laptop and router the sim may be no longer active or locked from some reason.

I would check with O2 first to see if the account / number is ok and then get onto their tech support to get it working on your laptop first.

I'd read the first post, the dongle if working fine with the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd suspect some misconfiguration of the wireless adapter's IP settings, maybe incorrectly set static default gateway or DNS servers or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sorry for not getting back about this.
    firstly, thanks for the replies. i was using a mac, trying to figure out what was wrong with a windows laptop. in the end, i just restored the windows laptop back to a point 2 days before and it worked fine. there was nothing important done on it in the meantime. just wish i had've thought of it sooner!

really out of practice using a mac!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement