Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webmail.eircom.net running slow?

Options
  • 04-03-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi

I am a Sky BB customer, but still use my eircom email accounts. Outlook is set up correctly, and has been working for the last two years. Last week I started to get timeout messages when downloading email. I have discussed this at lenght in the Nets&Comms forum (see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057389516) and from that discussion & tests it seems the server is taking a long time to respond. As a result I have temporarily "fixed" the problem in Outllook by increasing the server timeout from 60 seconds to 270 seconds.

While this works it is frustrating that on opening Outllook I have to wait 4 minutes before gettign my email, and realteim updates (incoming mail) dont happen.

Thsi is NOT an issue with my outlook config - I have it working for 2 years, following advice from this & other forums
    This is NOT a problem with SKY - I get exactly the same problem when I access email via a phone hotspot over Vodafone 3G (i.e. not using Sky BB), plus other email accounts (gmail) work fine over SKY

Please can you investiate the server response times

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

tombrown wrote: »
    Hi

I am a Sky BB customer, but still use my eircom email accounts. Outlook is set up correctly, and has been working for the last two years. Last week I started to get timeout messages when downloading email. I have discussed this at lenght in the Nets&Comms forum (see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057389516) and from that discussion & tests it seems the server is taking a long time to respond. As a result I have temporarily "fixed" the problem in Outllook by increasing the server timeout from 60 seconds to 270 seconds.

While this works it is frustrating that on opening Outllook I have to wait 4 minutes before gettign my email, and realteim updates (incoming mail) dont happen.

Thsi is NOT an issue with my outlook config - I have it working for 2 years, following advice from this & other forums
    This is NOT a problem with SKY - I get exactly the same problem when I access email via a phone hotspot over Vodafone 3G (i.e. not using Sky BB), plus other email accounts (gmail) work fine over SKY

thanks
    Hi tombrown

I'll ask email support to clarify this, as soon as I have more information I'll let you know

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Hi

thanks
    This is a Sky issue. Tell them put reverse DNS in place on the ip addresses they are giving out to their customers. 78.16.122.128 doesn't exist and most mail servers will delay connections to ips that don't exist in reverse DNS, because they are not identifying themselves correctly. This is to stop spammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I think the buck stops firmly with eircom.

I am a UPC user and have issues with incoming eircom emails for over a week now on email addresses I've had for longer than I care to remember ;)so no Sky in the mix for me.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tibolt

Thanks tombrown. I have the exact same problem and your fix (increasing the server timeout) worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭tombrown

Seems to be working OK again now - connection to incoming mail server is virtually instantaneous.

• Advertisement

Seems to be working OK again now - connection to incoming mail server is virtually instantaneous.
    Hi tombrown

I had requested clarification on this from operations however I was not informed that any works had been carried out.

Thanks for updating the thread though

AL

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joseph49r

Hi Tombrown

Like you, I too am having problems with eircom e mails on sky broadband. I was fine until last week but then the server began sending time out errors. Sky are unaware of the problem so it must be Eircom up to their old tricks!! It was fine for a while on Friday but its as bad as ever again today. all we can do it seems is to reset the timeout period to 4 mins !! what a nuisance.

Hope someone can solve this as its taking ages to access my e mails.

Mine looked ok yesterday for the most part but the problem returned later in the day and is still at it today.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Hi Guys

If you are no longer an eircom broadband customer and are experiencing issues you can email reach support on 1530277100 however I've been advised by eircoms email operational teams that the issues reported here is not a result of issues created by eircom or the eircom email service.

Thanks
    AL

That reply pretty much sums up eircom as a company doesn't it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Sundance_Kid

Having the same issue also as previous posters.

Left Eircom for Sky over a month ago and the last two weeks having issues receiving emails to eircom email address via Microsoft Outlook.

Clearly it is an eircom issue - come on now

Having the same issue also as previous posters.

Left Eircom for Sky over a month ago and the last two weeks having issues receiving emails to eircom email address via Microsoft Outlook.

Clearly it is an eircom issue - come on now
    Hi Sundance_Kid

I can confirm that It's not an eircom issue, if you would like to troubleshoot the issues for further clarification you can reach email support on 1530277100.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3 joseph49r

Re Outlook and Sky Broadband ....The following is a summary of the situation so far:

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am a Sky BB customer, but still use my eircom email accounts. Outlook is set up correctly, and has been working for the last two years. Last week I started to get timeout messages when downloading email.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]From Eircom:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you are no longer an eircom broadband customer and are experiencing issues you can email reach support on 1530277100 however I've been advised by eircoms email operational teams that the issues reported here is not a result of issues created by eircom or the eircom email service.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I was also  told that this is a Sky issue. Quote “Tell them put reverse DNS in place on the ip addresses they are giving out to their customers. 78.16.122.128 doesn't exist and most mail servers will delay connections to ips that don't exist in reverse DNS, because they are not identifying themselves correctly”. This is to stop spammers.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have contacted sky again and await their reply[/font]

joseph49r wrote: »
    Re Outlook and Sky Broadband ....The following is a summary of the situation so far:

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I am a Sky BB customer, but still use my eircom email accounts. Outlook is set up correctly, and has been working for the last two years. Last week I started to get timeout messages when downloading email.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]From Eircom:[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If you are no longer an eircom broadband customer and are experiencing issues you can email reach support on 1530277100 however I've been advised by eircoms email operational teams that the issues reported here is not a result of issues created by eircom or the eircom email service.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I was also  told that this is a Sky issue. Quote “Tell them put reverse DNS in place on the ip addresses they are giving out to their customers. 78.16.122.128 doesn't exist and most mail servers will delay connections to ips that don't exist in reverse DNS, because they are not identifying themselves correctly”. This is to stop spammers.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have contacted sky again and await their reply[/font]
    Thanks for the update joseph49r

Al

Advertisement