Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In App Subscriptions (IOS)

Options
  • 04-03-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

We are in development of an App for a newspaper. The newspaper currently has it's own web based subscriptions system, which works quite well. Is it possible to offer the user a dual subscription method "In App"? i.e. Subscribe to the content through the IAP API or subscribe to the content through our customised subscription system? Will be app be rejected because we have included links to the web based subscription service, or will it be accepted as we are offering both methods of subscription?

Thanks in advance for your views.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The application will be rejected if you do this I believe, see here - https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#purchasing-currencies

Specifically:
    Apps that link to external mechanisms for purchases or subscriptions to be used in the App, such as a "buy" button that goes to a web site to purchase a digital book, will be rejected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

The application will be rejected if you do this I believe, see here - https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#purchasing-currencies

Specifically:

I've read those guidelines, and you're correct they seem pretty clear. I still have something in the back of my mind that allows a "dual subscription" model through. These guidelines have been updated recently, I know, and the client is not going to be happy if they cannot use their recently developed Subs and CRM system to manage some subscribers.

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I've read those guidelines, and you're correct they seem pretty clear. I still have something in the back of my mind that allows a "dual subscription" model through. These guidelines have been updated recently, I know, and the client is not going to be happy if they cannot use their recently developed Subs and CRM system to manage some subscribers.

I think you used to be able to add things like a paypal button as well but Apple clamped down on that a while ago, I wouldn't be confident a dual subscription offering would be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

This is interesting.....so even if he had an icon in the app menu linking to this newspapers responsive website and that website had subscriptions....they would reject it??

I touched on this on another thread but The more I read all these rules and regulations...and if the above is true.....the more I realise that IOS Apps are next door to useless for as a service for a lot of Business.

This is interesting.....so even if he had an icon in the app menu linking to this newspapers responsive website and that website had subscriptions....they would reject it??

If the subscription was for consumption within the application then yes they would if it wasn't then it will pass.

• Advertisement

If the subscription was for consumption within the application then yes they would if it wasn't then it will pass.

So that means you cannot sell anything within an IOS App other than in App add ons/Game add ons?

You also cannot have a button link to a Business Website that has a shopping cart/subscriptions either it seems.

That totally rules out Business Apps on IOS so.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If I remember correctly (and it's been a while since I looked):

If you're selling digital goods through an app, any purchases have to be done through the app store. I don't think you have to exclusively use the app store, so if you have customers that subscribe/purchase through your website (outside of the app) there's nothing to stop you providing the benefits of the subscription/purchase through the app.

Short version: you can't redirect from an app to an external payment method for digital goods.

Graham wrote: »

If you're selling digital goods through an app, any purchases have to be done through the app store. I don't think you have to exclusively use the app store, so if you have customers that subscribe/purchase through your website (outside of the app) there's nothing to stop you providing the benefits of the subscription/purchase through the app.

Short version: you can't redirect from an app to an external payment method for digital goods.

Thanks for that Graham...so that's a No to including an icon to external websites taking payments of just Digital Goods...

Thanks for that Graham...so that's a No to including an icon to external websites taking payments of just Digital Goods...

Pretty much, the rule came into place when Amazon wanted to process payments for eBooks using their own payment processing in the Kindle app.

Most newspapers either take payment on their own website (with no direct link from the app) and also accept payments through the app using in-app purchase/in-app subscriptions. The latter of course means Apple take a 30% cut.

.... The latter of course means Apple take a 30% cut.

of course....

• Advertisement

OK sorry to be a Dog with a bone but...

...I was made aware of this yesterday by an iPhone user who is also a Business person who wants an App from me.

Aldi send out Notifications on iPhone to users with Offers.....multiple ones each day.

Now can you send them or not???

Nothing wrong with sending offers

Thanks Graham

The only other thing I can think of as confusing as the Rule on IOS Notifications is the Tackle in Gaelic Football (There isn't one).

I will build in an Opt out for each Business and advise them not to spam people.

I download every App myself to keep an eye on that anyhow.

Finally....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

We've moved on from payments, were now onto notifications. I'm assuming we're talking notifications delivered via APNS.

Guidelines here:

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#push-notifications

sorry yes.....wrong thread to have posted this in.

Yes....Graham cleared the Subscriptions up for me in a previous post.

Thanks lads.

Thanks Graham,

So to clarify, in the scenario you outline above, if you are selling digital 'goods' and not just access to digital content, you are allowed to use a dual subscription method.

For example, one of the services our client wants to offer through the app, is a home delivery option for the newspaper. This can only be achieved through a customised subscription method. In theory, it could also be achieved through IAP, but would be very clunky.

Secondly, the digital subscription gives the user access to a myriad of digital content from our client, most of which will not be available through the app. So if a user subscribes to the content 'in app' he/she will have the additional benefit of access to external digital assets whic are not available through an IOS interface.

Thanks Graham,

So to clarify, in the scenario you outline above, if you are selling digital 'goods' and not just access to digital content, you are allowed to use a dual subscription method.

For example, one of the services our client wants to offer through the app, is a home delivery option for the newspaper. This can only be achieved through a customised subscription method. In theory, it could also be achieved through IAP, but would be very clunky.

Secondly, the digital subscription gives the user access to a myriad of digital content from our client, most of which will not be available through the app. So if a user subscribes to the content 'in app' he/she will have the additional benefit of access to external digital assets whic are not available through an IOS interface.

I'm pretty sure you can break it down to this:

Any content/product that can be consumed through the application must use IAP
    Any content/product that cannot be consumed through the application can use an alternative method.

I'm pretty sure you can break it down to this:

Any content/product that can be consumed through the application must use IAP
    Any content/product that cannot be consumed through the application can use an alternative method.

What about content that can be consumed through the App and (for example) a website?

Home delivery would be some sort of physical goods not digital, therefore IAP could not be used.

As long as the only payment method visible in the app is IAP it sounds like you would be ok. I don't see anything that would prevent you offering additional benefits via your website for customers that had purchased digital goods via the App.

• Advertisement

Home delivery would be some sort of physical goods not digital, therefore IAP could not be used.

As long as the only payment method visible in the app is IAP it sounds like you would be ok. I don't see anything that would prevent you offering additional benefits via your website for customers that had purchased digital goods via the App.
    That's our issue. There are dual payment methods involved.

Id imagine you will only be able to offer IAP in the app but will get away with people paying on the web and consuming it on the app but you wont be able to link to that method of payment from within the app.

I wouldn't like to try and guess how apple would look at that.

As I understand it you have 3 options without moving into uncharted waters:

1) In-app purchase for digital subscriptions. Website for digital and physical products.

2) No in-app purchase. Website for digital subscriptions and physical products.

3) 3rd party in-app payments for physical products. Website for digital subscriptions and physical products.

I wouldn't like to try and guess how apple would look at that.

As I understand it you have 3 options without moving into uncharted waters:

1) In-app purchase for digital subscriptions. Website for digital and physical products.

2) No in-app purchase. Website for digital subscriptions and physical products.

3) 3rd party in-app payments for physical products. Website for digital subscriptions and physical products.

Just a quick update. Took us a while to get this one through, but finally succeeded last week. We did have to compromise on the in-app subscriptions elements, and go with the IAP only methodology.

Interesting exercise, in-that it involved a phone call from Apple to one of our developers to discuss the way we were doing certain things.

I think they actually see the end of their model as it currently stands, and the soundings I got from them was that we were one of a few companies who were approaching this online/offline subs system in a particular fashion and they were beginning to soften their approach.

Thanks for the help and answers, especially Graham.

Glad you got it working in the end IITYWYBMAD.

Are you taking any subscription charges via your website or are you solely IAP now?

Glad you got it working in the end IITYWYBMAD.

Are you taking any subscription charges via your website or are you solely IAP now?

Subs charges are taken via the website and also through IAP. We have an API built into the App which is used for sub level determination, and also deals with legacy subscribers (we have 3 levels of subscription) and verification. Also have an API into Mailchimp for email verification and we are capturing the UDID of the device, to guard against subs transfer.

As a matter of interest....you don't have any other link to your subscriptions like a button on your responsive website?

Someone who runs a dentists asked me was it possible to set up a Booking system with avilable slots in an App....it is through WP but again...to stop abuse it would be advisable to charge a small fee to stop bogus appointments etc.

I take it that would not be allowed although the services offered are not consumed through the App??

Glad you got your situation sorted IITYWYBMAD....going to the source...Apple..prob worked well for you too as they appreciated you clarifying potential issues.

As a matter of interest....you don't have any other link to your subscriptions like a button on your responsive website?

Someone who runs a dentists asked me was it possible to set up a Booking system with avilable slots in an App....it is through WP but again...to stop abuse it would be advisable to charge a small fee to stop bogus appointments etc.

I take it that would not be allowed although the services offered are not consumed through the App??

Glad you got your situation sorted IITYWYBMAD....going to the source...Apple..prob worked well for you too as they appreciated you clarifying potential issues.

We do have a subscription on both the responsive and main website.

With the mods permission, details of the subs system are here and IOS app here . The mechanism for the subs is evident under the user menus for both.

Well that is amazing.....because based on what was said before on this long thread....I would never have guessed that they would let you have subscriptions through the App because people could read (consume) it through the App.

This rather proves that they don't actually know how to restrict it or apply their rule on this one.

Kind of like a tackle in GAA Football....what is and isn't a fair tackle....nobody can really explain it.....

• Advertisement

Well that is amazing.....because based on what was said before on this long thread....I would never have guessed that they would let you have subscriptions through the App because people could read (consume) it through the App.

This rather proves that they don't actually know how to restrict it or apply their rule on this one.

I thought it had always been the case that anything consumed in app (i.e. Digital Goods) could only be sold in the app using IAP.

Did I miss something or isn't that what IITYWYBMAD's app is doing?

Advertisement